Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
+ 1 on the Kimber Hunter. Mine wears a Leupold Rimfire 2x7. When I miss a squirrel, and I do, I can promise you that it was operator error and NOT the Kimber!

A man's got to know his limitations!
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by hotsoup
most accurate? there is no correct answer. i have an old 100.00 (when bought way back then) rem 580 that will shoot 4-5 shots almost into the same hole. as for which is most likely to be very accurate, money drives the train. cooper, kimber, the various target models from win, cz, ans, etc. are likely to be the most accurate.

And, then when you try to shoot bulk WM ammo through them, you wonder why they don't live up to their reputations?

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
+4 on the cooper JSR

MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My favorite 2 are the CZ 452 and a NULA

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
It's been said buying a really accurate hunting 22 is well worth the cost.

I'm wanting to do more practicing on squirrels so I'm pondering that investment. I've got a sako quad which is pretty dern accurate but it's not a finfire or cooper. I like being able to pick out an eye if I have too.

Spot

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Have a Kimber 82B, 541S, 513 Rem, Mossberg 144 and 146, CZ 452. 541S is consistently the most accurate. Same rifle models with different serial #'s and the results might be different. All are shooters.
dan

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Winchester 52C or B Sporter! If you can't afford the original get the repro.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I own a Russian and Romanian trainer. They eat all the ammo out there better than any other 22 I've owned and that has been many dozen.

a wet bird never flies at night unless it has to
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My CZ 452 American will shoot 1/2 groups all day at 50 yards. At 25 yards I can hit a marker dot all day on a piece of paper. These are great shooters. I have a 3-9x32 AO scope on it. AWESOME set up.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Spotshooter: I have and have owned MANY really accurate 22 rimfires.
I have two Kimber heavy barrel models that are sublime. I have two REALLY accurate (and relatively cheap back when I began shooting these!) Winchester Model 75's.
I have also owned several Winchester Model 52's - but they are so pricey anymore that they are not often seen out in "Hunting" type terrain.
I have owned several Anschutz rimfires and they are impressively accurate.
Another splendidly accurate rimfire Rifle I have Hunted with was a Remington Model 37. I wish I had that one back for the Gopher Wars I enjoy so much these days.
But the most consistent and reliable 22 rimfire I have used to date has to be my Remington 40X with 27 1/4" barrel.
This Rifle is just wonderful to use afield - it TEACHES you how the 22 bullets fly (drift and drop) in the slightest of conditions and changes in distance. Even with a few select Hunting type cartridges (high speed hollow-points!) it attains superb accuracy. The trigger on my 40X is in no need of any type of improvement.
I highly recommend the Remington 40X rimfire - they are great guns and a great investment.
I also think their "mass" (weight) is very advantageous to their field accuracy (Hunting situations).
Best of luck with whichever "accurate Hunting 22 rimfire" you might choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by avagadro
I don't think this question really has an answer

I agree.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most will think I'm full of it, but my CZ 452 has done 1/2" at a 100 yards a few times (perfect conditions obviously)

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ackman

I agree.

+1
But would have to say if its the one you can shoot a squirrel in the eye at 50 yrds Every time, then that would be it. No matter who made it!! grin

Swifty

Swifty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Ackman

I agree.

+1
But would have to say if its the one you can shoot a squirrel in the eye at 50 yrds Every time, then that would be it. No matter who made it!! grin

Swifty

That is true, but there are companies that tend to turn out more accurate rifles than other companies.

The other factor is that we tend to shoot 22's more due to cost, lack of recoil, and fun factor. I could probably be a better large rifle shot if I shot them as much as my 22.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
The goal here is improve my practical shooting by having a top of the line 22 much like a guy does when shooting skeet or trap competition - ya don't buy junk or shoot an autoloader as much as you'd buy something that is very consistent and lets you concentrate on improving your shooting skills.

CZ's issue or weak spot is the trigger
I've got a Sako Quad - that trigger on it's much better than the CZ

Anschutz is without question the Mercedes of the rimfires so they are questionably in the pool. CZ, Remy 40X, ... are also good contenders.
I hunt squirrel in Osagey thicket stuff, so I have to thread the need, and THEN shoot them in the eye. Plus getting a family heirloom is kind of cool.

Spot

T
T
I have 2- a CZ 452 Varmint with a Weaver V-16 dot and a CZ 452 FS. Either will keep five shots in less than a dime at 75 yds. I shoot remington sub-sonic hps in both.

T
T
I disagree with the trigger comment- a CZ trigger can be made as good as anyone wants with a little time and effort- rimfirecentral.com has all sorts of links to home remedies for the as-issued trigger.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I prefer to make my hunting guns sportster because of weight. Someone mentioned a 452 Varmint here but mine is too heavy to carry/shoot in the woods, when aiming up in a tree my hands wobble too much with all the weight.

I'm on the CZ bandwagon but recommend a 452 American (I actually got a Style, same weight) for hunting. If you can't get a CZ then the only cheaper rimfire I will own is Savage. Accutrigger is epic. I would get Savage if CZ's didn't have an easily installed $20 trigger kit that I love.

**For those of you wanting to know, go to ebay and search for "cz 452 trigger" - the kit is sold by formeryodave and is a GREAT kit.

Last edited by feriil; 01/22/11.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by dustoffer
And, then when you try to shoot bulk WM ammo through them, you wonder why they don't live up to their reputations?

A lot of truth there.

I'd add that determining the true accuracy of a .22 and .22 ammo (or any rifle for that matter) requires at least a passing understanding of some basic statistical principles. An awful lot of folks end up chasing their tails, but as long as they're happy and having fun burning powder, what's to criticize?

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
CZ rifles are un-questionably a great choice to have on your short list. With that being said, I would gladly put up a Cooper 57M against a CZ. The only downside to the Cooper is that they are more expensive, and for some they are worth it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,437
Posts18,489,382
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.