Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dust Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I want a heavy rifle for benched or semi-benched shooting. Want to use it for praire dog, with the possibility of taking it on a cull hunt in Africe(hence no AR). Correct me if I am wrong, but I haven't heard of any detachable magazine or capacity rules for Africa. There are some in the US, and I don't plan on visiting those states. There is a conversion, called the Jag conversion that allows Mini-14 magazines to be used in a Remmy. I think it would be great with high speed shooting to have 10-20-30 rounds instead of the 4-5 in the box. Not being a reloader, or planning to in the near future, it seems that the .223 would be a better choice for me. I have no plans to reach out to 1000 yards, just want a .223 with a high capacity detachable magazine. Anyone see any problems with my process, or have comments on which model to look for?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dust I started to think along the same lines but gosh! You just can not beat that Savage model 12 for accuracy right out of the box. I know as we have purchased 4 of them in the last few months. It makes no difference what caliber, they shoot great and I was never a Savage fan understand. I was partial to model 70 Winchesters and varmint/predator rifle was Remington, also totted a couple of Belgium Brownings back then.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

D
Dust Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Tonk, if the magazine conversion was available for savages, I wouldn't be asking the question. There would already be a Model 16 in .223 with a all the good stuff in the safe.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The potential flaw that I see is that depending on what your plans for "culling" in Africa are the 204 may not be quite enough caliber and possibly the 223 may not be allowed since it is a military cartridge.

Just something to think about.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Dust Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
That is a good point Drover, I am glad you brought it up. I will see what I can find. I mentioned the culling because of an article in recent Varmint Hunter magazine.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive done a bunch of high volume shooting with a .223 on buck toothed varmints, and more than a little big game...there is nothing you need a high cap detachable mag for...you asked..... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
How about a Rem. 7615 223 Pump. Uses AR mags and mine shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yds all day long. I just saw one at a shop with a laminated stock,Nice.

Rockhounding and varmint huntin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can also relate to using a .243 caliber for culling animals and it is a Jim Dandy for little critters too out to 400 yards.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
My friend, Go with a .204 for dog hunting. you get 3000fps easy. I love the 223 dont get me wrong. the 204 will shoot a lot flater. It easy to load for. 204 and you cannot go wrong. just my two cents on the round. I love it.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Originally Posted by Tonk
I can also relate to using a .243 caliber for culling animals and it is a Jim Dandy for little critters too out to 400 yards.

I agree.

WAY less wind drift at long ranges compared to the light guys.

IC B3

D
Dust Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by ssphoger
How about a Rem. 7615 223 Pump. Uses AR mags and mine shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yds all day long. I just saw one at a shop with a laminated stock,Nice.

I don't know how well it would do as a bench or window gun. Not really ever been a pump fan, aside from shotguns.

Originally Posted by ingwe
Ive done a bunch of high volume shooting with a .223 on buck toothed varmints, and more than a little big game...there is nothing you need a high cap detachable mag for...you asked..... grin

I don't need a second .223 at all, considering the amount of shooting(none) it has gotten so far. I don't need a big gun with a heavy stock, and big glass, but I want one, and want to put a detachable magazine on it, because it will be tasked with doing one thing, sitting there, and shooting until it gets hot. If loading 5 mags days before gives me more time to do that, instead of stuffing a box mag 20 times, then so be it.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dust
If loading 5 mags days before gives me more time to do that, instead of stuffing a box mag 20 times, then so be it.

You musta missed the part of my quote that said " high volume"...

Five 20 rounders or stuffing the box 20 times doesn't qualify.....

It just boils down to what kind of magazine you like to load, and whether or not that thing sticking out under the rifle is gonna be in the way.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Dust Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The stock I was considering has a pistol grip and monopod, so I think that it wouldn't hang down that much more than is already hanging down. I was thinking that stuffing 100 rounds would allow more time for a barrel to cool. still in the thinking phase, unless an already converted 700 pops up for a really nice price. This was the style of stock I was considering.

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/Choate_USS.asp

Last edited by Dust; 01/18/11.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep...that stock would negate any hangy downy magazine problems...you shooting pigs?

D
Dust Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I'll shoot whatever dad wants. Want to take him on a hunt when the wife and I get setup in the states. It would be p-dogs, ground squirrels, or Africa if possible. Want to build the gun while the wife is out of the country, and doesn't know how much or where it came from. It's dad's works better when it has "always" been in the gun safe. Plus, after seeing the thread on the hide, I just thought, I want that. Dad goes hunting in South Dakota for pheasants, and I don't think it would be too hard to find some space up there for other animals to hunt.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
There can be some pretty good volume shooting for PDs in South Dakota.....

Ive done some culling in Africa but never enough to heat the gun up...just one at a time.... grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Toms22
My friend, Go with a .204 for dog hunting. you get 3000fps easy. I love the 223 dont get me wrong. the 204 will shoot a lot flater. It easy to load for. 204 and you cannot go wrong. just my two cents on the round. I love it.

Define "flater".

Be careful though..............(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dust
I want a heavy rifle for benched or semi-benched shooting. Want to use it for praire dog, with the possibility of taking it on a cull hunt in Africe(hence no AR). Correct me if I am wrong, but I haven't heard of any detachable magazine or capacity rules for Africa. There are some in the US, and I don't plan on visiting those states. There is a conversion, called the Jag conversion that allows Mini-14 magazines to be used in a Remmy. I think it would be great with high speed shooting to have 10-20-30 rounds instead of the 4-5 in the box. Not being a reloader, or planning to in the near future, it seems that the .223 would be a better choice for me. I have no plans to reach out to 1000 yards, just want a .223 with a high capacity detachable magazine. Anyone see any problems with my process, or have comments on which model to look for?

I'd want a 223 twisted in accords to flaunt the inherent .224 BC advantages and would much prefer a rifle twisted/throated to expound same,than a bucket load of also-rans.

Mini and AR COAL confines are tough to get horned up about. HS,Seekin's or AICS is where you wanna be...all of which meld a 700 nicely

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Dust Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Mini and AR COAL confines are tough to get horned up about. HS, Seekin's or AICS is where you wanna be...all of which meld a 700 nicely

Been looking at the AICS stuff, but for that kind of money, I might as well step up to the .243 recommended up top by Tonk and use the .308 mags. that puts me $300? for conversion, and $60-80 per magazine, and more for ammo. Might as well step up to a .260 or .308, for longer distance, snowball, down the hill. At the .243 range I could go AICS or ACME for a savage and actually have what I want, minus the 20-30 round capacity.

I don't reload, so most stuff I would be shooting should fit in a mini magazine.

I basically want to build a bolt action AR-15, and not living in Europe, I don't know how to go about getting one. I don't plan on reaching out to 600+ with the rifle, just need something that can fill the RWS 850, Ruger Charger, Ruger 10/17, 5.45x39 AR carbine,__________, 7.62x39 AR, whatever bolt action 30/338 cal I wind up with hole in the safe for P^dogging/colony stuff, and something that can go overseas to those countries who don't have the freedoms that we do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Having shot them all,I'd GREEDILY take 5rds of High BC 223/223AI handloaded fodder in the issued belly,than 20 or 30 pokes with a miserly COAL and it's paltry performance...because I'm all about results.

I'm no fan of mags protruding the belly,if only because I have rifles so equipped.

While I love Badger wares on the average,the M5 DBM is an abortion,with it's polevault latch. Others have done a better job of circumventing that,while incorporating the AICS mags.

I couldn't trade performance/terminal affects...for a herd clip dangling my rifle's nether regions...................

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 3,079 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,355
Posts18,488,003
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.