Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
a friend of mine just purchase a remington 700 varmint fluted in 22-250 put a new nikon 4x16 x 42 . scope on it.. the load is a new ww brass cc1 200 primer 38 grns of h380 and a 55 grn blitz from sierra seated .005 from lands. can not get this thing to shoot at all! at 100 yards it is all over the place. retigghted all mounts and rings ( burris 2 pices and signature rings) even put a different scope on it and still the same.
any ideas what to try? the guy says the brass has been ready for some time with just the primers in. the powder .. new lb and his brother is shooting the same powder in his 22-250 and it shoots fine.
i hav some other powders, different primers etc, ive never seen anything like this especially oput of a remington.
all good suggestions are welcome

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
trigger job,bed job,recrown.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There are a zillion possibilities, but it's best to start with the simple things, one at a time.

Was the second scope proven already on another rifle?

Was the barrel free-floated at the factory? And even if it was, is it really easy to press the barrel and tip of the forend together?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
yes the scope was on my 223 and it was sighted in good. model is remington 700 varmint sf model 84342 dont know about the free floating at factory.
ive never bedded any gun i have had. i have helped set up 4 new guns lately and all but this one shoot great. we are all puzzled thought a remington would shot better out of the box. i always thought bedded and stuff was to make it better like from 1 in groups to smaller

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Usually bedding is just to improve things, but you never know.

You might also check the back surface of each of the locking lugs to see if there's substantial contact between the lugs and their recesses in the action. I have seen a few factory rifles where there was little or no contact with one lug. This is very unusual but does happen.

How tight are the scope rings? By that I mean are they just tightened down snugly, or did somebody really crank on them?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
[Linked Image]

My crystal ball is broke, but my guess is that you have one of those new Remington's that comes in the color yellow.
Lemon Yellow.

I think I said something once or twice about the quality at Remington being right up there with the Chevrolet Vega and the Ford Pinto right now. Maybe it was made on a Monday or a Friday or they were just breaking in a new guy and it slipped through the cracks at the factory.

Just because it says it is a .22/250 does not mean that it will shoot identical to every other .22/250 that has ever been produced in the last 40 years.

I could put .22/250 on a pile of crap and sell it for a premium price, that doesn't mean that you are getting a premium product.

I would add to this that although your round works great for the gun you presently own, that does not mean that it is the ultimate round for every other gun in the same caliber.

I don't know of a single reloading manual that tells you to just load the round at the maximum load and go shoot.
They usually recommend to start out on the low end and work your way up - .5 of 1 grain at a time until you find what works best.

If it was me, and I just invested a bunch of money into a new gun - it would go back. If he bought it used - then you know why it was for sale in the first place.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just for drill, I'd try some factory ammo to see if I got the same results.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think your problem is your choice of bullet. The Blitz is designed with a very thin jacket and is intended for use in the smaller .22 centerfires, up to the .222 or .223. It is very likely that the bullet is losing its integrity at .22/250 velocities. I'll bet if you substitute a standard Sierra Varminter bullet or another standard .224 bullet, your problem will go away.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer
[Linked Image]

My crystal ball is broke, but my guess is that you have one of those new Remington's that comes in the color yellow.
Lemon Yellow.

I think I said something once or twice about the quality at Remington being right up there with the Chevrolet Vega and the Ford Pinto right now. Maybe it was made on a Monday or a Friday or they were just breaking in a new guy and it slipped through the cracks at the factory.

Just because it says it is a .22/250 does not mean that it will shoot identical to every other .22/250 that has ever been produced in the last 40 years.

I could put .22/250 on a pile of crap and sell it for a premium price, that doesn't mean that you are getting a premium product.

I would add to this that although your round works great for the gun you presently own, that does not mean that it is the ultimate round for every other gun in the same caliber.

I don't know of a single reloading manual that tells you to just load the round at the maximum load and go shoot.
They usually recommend to start out on the low end and work your way up - .5 of 1 grain at a time until you find what works best.

If it was me, and I just invested a bunch of money into a new gun - it would go back. If he bought it used - then you know why it was for sale in the first place.

But you're a dumbphuck....

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I started to say something, but found I have nothing to add. Deflave pretty much said it all....

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fog
a friend of mine just purchase a remington 700 varmint fluted in 22-250 put a new nikon 4x16 x 42 . scope on it.. the load is a new ww brass cc1 200 primer 38 grns of h380 and a 55 grn blitz from sierra seated .005 from lands. can not get this thing to shoot at all! at 100 yards it is all over the place. retigghted all mounts and rings ( burris 2 pices and signature rings) even put a different scope on it and still the same.
any ideas what to try? the guy says the brass has been ready for some time with just the primers in. the powder .. new lb and his brother is shooting the same powder in his 22-250 and it shoots fine.
i hav some other powders, different primers etc, ive never seen anything like this especially oput of a remington.
all good suggestions are welcome

Ohhh Swampy, message for ya....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Like the others have mentioned, I would go over all the obvious. Inspect the stock, both for action fit and barrel/stock contact, Recoil lug engagement to the stock, lug engagement in the receiver, barrel condition (maybe get a smith to borescope it), crown condition and squareness, barrel to action squareness. It could also have chamber issues.

Are your bolts in the scope mount bottoming before the base is tight?

Also mentioned before, that bullet is designed for somewhere around 3400 fps or so, depends on bore smoothness just how fast you can push it, but 3400 is pretty much the upper end, though I have pushed the polymer tipped bullets to 3800.

If all else fails, write on the barrel, with an indelible marker, this word in big letters.

R U G E R

That oughtta do it. (grin)

Back to seriousness, I certainly hope you get her sorted out.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I ruined a scope once with those Leupold windage adjustable bases, I ruined another one once with some POS Thompson Center rings that tightened on one side!

Go buy 2-3 boxes of different factory ammunition and see if the rifle shoots any of these before you begin surgery on it. Do you have a 3rd rifle scope.... whistle

F
fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
[quote=Duquensebeer][IMG]I would add to this that although your round works great for the gun you presently own, that does not mean that it is the ultimate round for every other gun in the same caliber.

i have been reloading for over 25 years i do know how to read a reloading manual do u? straight from hodgdon website:::55 GR. SPR SP Hodgdon H380 .224" 2.350" 38.0 3507 45,400 CUP 41.0 3713 50,700 CUP whats that ???minimum charge i think even with reading glasses says 38 ..
since u cant seem to think i can read did u read the last of my post..i said good suggestions.not a remington bash session. people like u are the reason some of these posts get so so long on here . save ur bashing talk for the campfire not the gun writer seciton

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Dad has a .22-250 Rem 700 - he was having lousy results with the 55 gr Sierras with those poly-tips. They were scattering all over the target in about a 3" - 4" group, and some of the bullet holes showed signs of entering the paper a little sideways. Obviously not stabilizing.

We bumped up the velocity a little, and switched to shorter 53 gr Sierra hollowpoints. Here's the results:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After running 2 different scopes, I think I would check to make sure the action screws were tight...

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
loosen the action screws and slip a thickness or two of cardboard
between the stock forend and barrel and retighten screws. Maybe it doesn't like to be free floated. Old JOC advice I know it works.

Last edited by Kotzy; 01/17/11.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would try some Winchester white-box factory loads just to see...

Also, I would try some Varget, and some bergers.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Where`s Swampy?

Oh Swampy! Youuuuuuuuuu Whooooooooooooo. Where are you????

We have a poster here who can`t site in,,,,,,"the best rifle in the world."...............LOL!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

If all else fails, write on the barrel, with an indelible marker, this word in big letters.

R U G E R

(grin)

......................Oh sure! Yeah right!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

440 members (1beaver_shooter, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 160user, 44 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,505
Posts18,472,261
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.