Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Just got time to do pictures of my first handgun of 2011. One I'd been searching for for quite some time; a Smith and Wesson Model 29-2; grips are ivory corian by Don Collins and I've had them for awhile. It's not the 29 no-dash that I truly wanted, but it'll do grin Besides, I want my no-dash to be a 5" or 6.5" anyway crazy I'm a wheelgun loonie, what can I say?

[Linked Image]

Anybody else started out the new year yet? If so, what'd you get?

Last edited by Oregon45; 01/17/11.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is one nice piece. I have been thinking along similar lines lately. Have been browsing Gunbroker and so on. Thought I would check the local Gun Shows. Lucky me they are always around my birthday which is coming right up.

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I love 29-2s great acquisition

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice. Congratulations. I started out the new year last month...I got a New Ruger Blackhawk Flattop in .44 mag.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looks very nice. Very nice sheen to the Blue.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Oregon45: I love the looks (contrast of the grips vs the blue) of your 29!
I hope it shoots as good as it looks.
I have an early (1975ish) S&W M-29 with the 8 3/8" barrel - it is unfired still but the fake velvet of its wooden presentation case has disintegrated and I am in the process of trying to find some real "blue velvet" to replace that stuff with.
The local quilt/fabric shop has none and won't order unless I buy several yards. I 've tried about 4 small fabric shops to date without luck.
I'm stymied for now.
I have always been a "wheelgun advocate" myself but the current rage is CLEARLY showing the edge in sales to the slam bangers.
I predict a wheel gun "solid though smaller" following over the next two decades.
So I don't think prices will fall dramatically at any point therein.
Again good find for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Elmer is smiling.....

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45

[Linked Image]

Nice carry piece.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just bought a wheel gun myself laugh S&W model 351c 22mag.coobie

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dood, that's beautiful; you have very good taste my friend.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oregon45
grips are ivory corian by Don Collins

Hmmm. Note to self: Consider justification to wife for new gun: "But dear, look how it matches the countertops!"

Seriously, those are nice. I looked at his site and really like the yellow ones.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
That's what I thought too when I saw he was making them from Corian, but, in my experience with these grips they are just as tough as micarta and impervious to solvents and moisture.

Don is a great guy to work with, very responsive via email and his turn around time is pretty quick... for the custom grip industry grin

Last edited by Oregon45; 01/18/11.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[bleep]' beautiful!

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love it , been looking for one myself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello Oregon45
That's a super nice 29-2. Now you need to find it's brother in Nickel these do not seem to come along often as it took me Ten years to find one N.I.B. with a 4" Barrel... TheGeneral.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The best double-action trigger pull I've ever owned was on a 29 just like yours General. A guy who worked at the gunstore I used to frequent sold it to me. I can't recall whether he'd worked on it or simply sat there dry firing it thousands of times to get it that smooth. Beautiful weapons. Wish I still had that one. Then again, there's lots of others I wish I still had as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I did a total impulse buy just after New Years. Stainless Ruger SuperBlackhawk, Seven and a half inch barrel, nothing special except it had been drilled and tapped for a scope.

Well, that means I can't let that option go without at least the possibility of utilizing it. So I deliberately bought an M8 Leupold 2X20.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
The best double-action trigger pull I've ever owned was on a 29 just like yours General. A guy who worked at the gunstore I used to frequent sold it to me. I can't recall whether he'd worked on it or simply sat there dry firing it thousands of times to get it that smooth. Beautiful weapons. Wish I still had that one. Then again, there's lots of others I wish I still had as well.

Hello Cole
This one here seems to be real smooth with no Creep and it's apparent trigger pull weight is norrmal of which I would rather have with the wicked recoil this round gives in the shorter 4" Barrel, a Light trigger pull would not be a good idea. I always hate to sight it in with my Big Game loads as constant firing of it makes one's hand smart sharply...Thegeneral.

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by generalstuart
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

Hello Cole
This one here seems to be real smooth with no Creep and it's apparent trigger pull weight is norrmal of which I would rather have with the wicked recoil this round gives in the shorter 4" Barrel, a Light trigger pull would not be a good idea. I always hate to sight it in with my Big Game loads as constant firing of it makes one's hand smart sharply...Thegeneral.
I never liked rubber grips until I felt the Hogues on a 629 Classic that I had. My current .44 Mag. is the Mountain Gun with those same grips. They go far in dampening the wicked recoil.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Nice gun. 29 5" here - around 40 years old, same Safariland shoulder holster- folks don't know what they are missing. Tried real velvet in the prestentation case, but it matted from the wt. of the gun, was looking for some fuzzy stuff now something like "polar fleece"

Most people don't have what it takes to get old

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,445
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.