-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
I am currently in Northern VA for a few months. I am in the DC area and yesterday I went to Bass Pro, Gander Mountain and Green Top to try and find some 20 ga. SxS's to look at. I couldn't find any at all.
Having been stationed (US Army) overseas for a few years I guess I should have gotten one while in Europe but really didn't have the money on an enlisted persons salary.
I am trying to find something better than the cheap $4-500 clunkers. Are there any places within a reasonable distance that I could hope to find a decent SxS?
This is actually going to be a graduation gift for my son. He is the first one in our family to be able to go to college and will be commissioned upon graduation. He was selected to go to Air Force Pilot training and to say I am a proud father is an understatement. I am hoping to be able to get something and present it to him at his graduation.
Any leads as to where I may find something would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
WW

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
New 20ga sxs are usually either cheap clunkers or very expensive. You might broaden your range into a used/previously owned double. Sometimes that is what the term "classic" is about. GunBroker.com or GunsAmerica are good online places to look. GA had a 99% 1970 Ithaca SKB 3" 20ga sxs for $1095. I have an old Ithaca 20ga double that has been outstanding.

I think that O/U 20's are easier to find. My son really likes his Ruger Red Label's. Congrats on your son and good luck to you with your quest. My son was 30 yrs old and had a cabinet full of guns before he bought his first one. Life is good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are a fair number of Ithaca SKB SxS and the Browning BSS SxS that show up on the used gun market. You might try Greentop in Glenn Allen (just north of Richmond on US1). There are a couple of shops in Charlotte that have used double's come through - Hyatt's on Wilkinson BLVD and Carolina Sporting Arms on South Blvd are two to check. Gun Broker and Auction Arms are two good on line sources.

Ps Congratulations to your son - that is one helluva accomplishment!

http://www.artsgunshop.com/site_map_Gunroom_Shotguns_Detail.php?recordID=22

Last edited by Odessa; 01/17/11. Reason: add link

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
WWhunter - congratulations!
SXS in 20g are pricey. I would agree the SKB as well as any of the Japanese Miroku plant manufactured options (older Charles Daly, Miroku, Browning.) are well made and are solid options in the resale market.

Here are another couple stores to try -
Call Clark Brothers in Warrenton - 540-439-8988 - they cycle through used as consignment and trade options, all of these are usually first rate guns.
Dominion Outdoors in Stuarts Draft VA - 540-337-9218 (they have a huge consignment section you can tell what you are looking for on the phone and they will check inventory).
Randy Clark at Clark Collectible Arms in Roanoke, VA - 540-366-5232 / 540-777-4999 - usually has high quality used sporting guns.

I had a CZ SXS in 20g manufactured by Huglo, decent wood, well done fit and finish with a round pistol grip, nice and light with tight lockup. These can be had on the resale market.

Now is a great time to look (after hunting season) for resale options.

I also recommend Green Top in Richmond VA. As well as gunbroker and gunsamerica.

Here is a CZ in the classifieds here - https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread.../1/FS_CZ_Partridge_20GA_28_DT_Eng#UNREAD

Last edited by Mikem2; 01/17/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That CZ is mine but there is a smoking deal in the classifieds on a csmc rbl right now also if your looking to spend more.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4821677/CSMC_RBL_20ga#Post4821677

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
IC B2

W
OP Offline
W
Thank you everyone for the replies. I am definitely a very proud father since I grew up on a dairy farm in the boonies and wasn't presented the oppertunities that my son has had. His appointment came from years of hard work and studying.

Thanks also for the references of other places to check in the area. I have already been to GreenTop and they had nothing there that interested me.
That georgous CSMC that is for sale would be great....just a little "spendy" for me. Maybe if I could sell a few items I would be interested but that gun is too pretty to be used!!!
Grogel, I sent you a PM on the one you have listed.
Thanks again everyone for the responses.
WW

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You could find a Lefever Nitro in 20 ga in your price range, i have them in 20 and 12, and they carry and shoot great.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't know about to pretty to shoot. I would be shooting the hell out of it if it fit me. I have even thought about having a wood spacer made to lenghten the LOP. But I have my eye set on another Model 21 so I need to sell the RBL to fund the M-21.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would check out the deals on S&W Elites and the reporduction LC Smiths that CDNN have. For a little over $1000 you can get a quality 20ga SxS.

http://site.cdnninvestments.com/CDNN2010-6/index.html

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
CZ BobWhite. Pretty well made by Huglu in Turkey. In neighborhood of $667.00 from Budsgunshop.com as of this post.
Love mine.
Doc

IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I didn't see what your price range was. Also, do you know if he prefers side-by-sides? As someone already said, over/unders tend to be quite a bit less expensive for the same quality, are easier to find, and many prefer them to side-by-sides. Personally, I would be looking at Beretta or Browning over/unders or AYA side-by-sides. All 3 of these have good reputations for long term reliability.

[Linked Image]
W
OP Offline
W
I have several O/U's but mostly in 12 ga. We were stationed in Okinawa for 5 years and I purchase quite a few used shotguns there. YES, the Japanese own guns! Don't believe everything you read about the Japanese being a gunless society.
I already told him he can have any one of the shotguns I have EXCEPT for the Ithaca 20 ga. SxS. Of course that is the one he wants. He takes after me I guess in the fact that he likes old style guns and prefers the nostalgic look and feel of a good SxS.
I may take a drive up to Hendershots and look at those S&W Elites. SUre looks to be a nice gun for the price....especially at the price that CDNN has them.
The CZ is also under consideration but I was looking for something a little nicer even though for the price they are a good value from what I have seen.
I would like to stay under $2,000 and if I can get a nice gun for around $1,000 I would be very happy.
WW

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Any interest in a New SKB 20 gauge? I have a Model 385 with English stock and splinter forend that I might want to get rid of. We'd have to jump through all the legal hoops but I'm sure it could be done if you have interest. You can look some info and photos at www.skbshotguns.com. Mine probably has about 250 rounds through it.

NoCAL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WW

If you still are looking, check out the CDNN site. If you can open their catalog, they have several different 20 doubles, from Chas Daly and CZ for under $500, to leftover L.C.Smith's at $999. Good luck.

T
T
I just bought a CZ Ringneck 20 ga. I'm really pleased with it so far. It came with five choke tubes, clips on the sides of the action, color case-hardened reciever, nice wood- $837.00 out the door in middle TN.

W
OP Offline
W
Since this will be gifted to my son I am looking for something with a little bit of above "cheap". wink I have been trying to find reviews on the L.C.Smith but couldn't really find much. What I did find sure didn't have much in the way of positive.
I have been trying to find a dealer with on of the S&W Elites to look at. Nearest one I found was 3 hour drive. Guess I will wait for the Nations Gun Show in a couple of weeks and hope for the best.
The CZ's seem like a reasonable gun especially for the price...heck I could buy two and keep one for myself. smile
WW

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you ever considered a custom shotgun? I've always wanted one but they have always been out of my price range. Dehaan shotguns(custom Huglo which is the same as CZ) look like a good deal but I haven't heard a lot about them. Your son would keep it forever especially if it had his initials engraved on it.

http://www.dhshotguns.com/

Quando omni flunkus moritati

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (10gaugeman, 2500HD, 257Ackley, 1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 3,603 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,699
Posts18,534,626
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.