Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
WSJ reports that a Glock semi-automatic pistol was recovered. And the shooting was reported to be accidental as the gun discharged when the gun fired from within the backpack that contained the gun. I've never heard of a Glock firing in this manner and can't imagine what kind of malfunction might cause this. I don't accept the opinion that it was accidental.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
All it would take is for something in the backpack to snag and pull the trigger. It's not a very hard scenario to imagine. He could have been reaching in for something and inadvertently pushed or pulled something that was in contact with the trigger.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by doublegunner
I've never heard of a Glock firing in this manner and can't imagine what kind of malfunction might cause this.

Taking the report at face value, apparently something in the backpack put 5.6 lbs of pressure on the 5.5 lb trigger.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
So to follow this line of "logic" one would have to accept the premise that somehow a pencil was aligned with the primary trigger of the Glock and moved it to the rear for .2 inches, then contacting the main trigger to overcome the trigger safety, and continued to the rear for another .3 inches with an additional 5 pounds of force overcoming the firing pin safety and fully cocking the striker and firing the weapon. Unless the pistol had serious defects or was highly modified and had a mechanical failure resulting in an accidental discharge; it was a Negligent discharge caused by a 1/2 inch pull on the trigger with 5 1/2 pounds of force; (with a finger). Apparently one witness saw the suspects hand in the backpack before the shot was fired. And, two students were arrested today for concealing evidence.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pencil, finger, or a tube of Rolo's, I dunno. Getting a DAO pistol to fire isn't rocket science.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If indeed an unintended discharge, it wasn't a malfunction of the pistol, it was the fact that it was transported and handled stupidly. The gun did what it was designed to do, and didn't care if it was a finger or a tube of Necco Wafers that triggered the shot.

The most common firearms involved in the "AD"s" that I was personally aware of during my career were Glocks. In each case (and this is not limited to the Glock incidents), the culprit attempted to blame the pistol (or the long gun) for maliciously discharging all by itself. In each case, the culprit turned out to be the culprit, not the firearm.

Having said that, Glocks are not very forgiving if handled stupidly...and they can bump fire several rounds if hung by the trigger guard on the coat hook of a toilet booth in a public restroom. Makes for an interesting police report.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 01/19/11.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
...and they can bump fire several rounds if hung by the trigger guard on the coat hook of a toilet booth in a public restroom.

"Did your pistol just go full auto?"

"No, no, that was the burrito I had for lunch - I swear."

Robert Frost
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
All it would take is for something in the backpack to snag and pull the trigger. It's not a very hard scenario to imagine. He could have been reaching in for something and inadvertently pushed or pulled something that was in contact with the trigger.
Yep. It would be hard to imagine this happening to a cocked and locked 1911. Three distinct things would need to be engaged/disengaged first.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I dont buy it either. IMO 99% of all ADs happen with a finger on the trigger.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Having said that, Glocks are not very forgiving if handled stupidly...

Most guns arent.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I seriously doubt that a Glock would fire multiple rounds if hung on a coathook. Try getting one to cycle when you limpwrist one. Rotsa Ruck!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
S
S
Hey when an inexperienced individual has possession of a loaded firearm anything is possible. The only thing I would say is that this was not an accidental discharge; it was a negligent discharge and there is a huge difference. This kid should face serious repercussions

Last edited by socal926; 01/20/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tend to agree with that assessment. Welcome to the 'Fire

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by socal926
The only thing I would say is that this was not an accidental discharge; it was a negligent discharge and there is a huge difference. This kid should face serious repercussions

Yep.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by socal926
Hey when an inexperienced individual has possession of a loaded firearm anything is possible. The only thing I would say is that this was not an accidental discharge; it was a negligent discharge and there is a huge difference. This kid should face serious repercussions
Negligent is the better word. You're right. Welcome to the Fire.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (06hunter59, 257Bob, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 66 invisible), 13,378 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,160
Posts18,542,875
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.