CLICK HERE for NIKON PROSTAFF 7i LASER RANGEFINDER!

CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4841210 - 01/20/11 GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without?
Steve Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), ...

House GOP Lists $2.5 Trillion in Spending Cuts

Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy. $445 million annual savings.

Save America's Treasures Program. $25 million annual savings.

International Fund for Ireland. $17 million annual savings.

Legal Services Corporation. $420 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Arts. $167.5 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Humanities. $167.5 million annual savings.

Hope VI Program. $250 million annual savings.

Amtrak Subsidies. $1.565 billion annual savings.

Eliminate duplicative education programs. H.R. 2274 (in last Congress), authored by Rep. McKeon, eliminates 68 at a savings of $1.3 billion annually.

U.S. Trade Development Agency. $55 million annual savings.

Woodrow Wilson Center Subsidy. $20 million annual savings.

Cut in half funding for congressional printing and binding. $47 million annual savings.

John C. Stennis Center Subsidy. $430,000 annual savings.

Community Development Fund. $4.5 billion annual savings.

Heritage Area Grants and Statutory Aid. $24 million annual savings.

Cut Federal Travel Budget in Half. $7.5 billion annual savings.

Trim Federal Vehicle Budget by 20%. $600 million annual savings.

Essential Air Service. $150 million annual savings.

Technology Innovation Program. $70 million annual savings.

Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Program. $125 million annual savings.

Department of Energy Grants to States for Weatherization. $530 million annual savings.

Beach Replenishment. $95 million annual savings.

New Starts Transit. $2 billion annual savings.

Exchange Programs for Alaska, Natives Native Hawaiians, and Their Historical Trading Partners in Massachusetts. $9 million annual savings.

Intercity and High Speed Rail Grants. $2.5 billion annual savings.

Title X Family Planning. $318 million annual savings.

Appalachian Regional Commission. $76 million annual savings.

Economic Development Administration. $293 million annual savings.

Programs under the National and Community Services Act. $1.15 billion annual savings.

Applied Research at Department of Energy. $1.27 billion annual savings.

FreedomCAR and Fuel Partnership. $200 million annual savings.

Energy Star Program. $52 million annual savings.

Economic Assistance to Egypt. $250 million annually.

U.S. Agency for International Development. $1.39 billion annual savings.

General Assistance to District of Columbia. $210 million annual savings.

Subsidy for Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. $150 million annual savings.

Presidential Campaign Fund. $775 million savings over ten years.

No funding for federal office space acquisition. $864 million annual savings.

End prohibitions on competitive sourcing of government services.

Repeal the Davis-Bacon Act. More than $1 billion annually.

IRS Direct Deposit: Require the IRS to deposit fees for some services it offers (such as processing payment plans for taxpayers) to the Treasury, instead of allowing it to remain as part of its budget. $1.8 billion savings over ten years.

Require collection of unpaid taxes by federal employees. $1 billion total savings.

Prohibit taxpayer funded union activities by federal employees. $1.2 billion savings over ten years.

Sell excess federal properties the government does not make use of. $15 billion total savings.

Eliminate death gratuity for Members of Congress.

Eliminate Mohair Subsidies. $1 million annual savings.

Eliminate taxpayer subsidies to the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. $12.5 million annual savings.

Eliminate Market Access Program. $200 million annual savings.

USDA Sugar Program. $14 million annual savings.

Subsidy to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). $93 million annual savings.

Eliminate the National Organic Certification Cost-Share Program. $56.2 million annual savings.

Eliminate fund for Obamacare administrative costs. $900 million savings.

Ready to Learn TV Program. $27 million savings.

HUD Ph.D. Program.

Deficit Reduction Check-Off Act.

--------

RV 728 BP
#4841231 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: Steve]
RAS2 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: west Pa.
International Fund for Ireland.....like the beer. grin

#4841287 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: Steve]
milespatton Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Arkansas
Quote:
Repeal the Davis-Bacon Act. More than $1 billion annually.

As long as I can still get bacon for breakfast grin, I can live with all of those and hopefully more. miles

#4841289 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: RAS2]
aspade Offline
Campfire Regular

"Title X Family Planning. $318 million annual savings."

Saves 10 times that in welfare and prison later. Anything that makes dead beats breed a little bit less is money well spent.

#4841298 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: aspade]
milespatton Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Arkansas
Quit funding wellfare for able bodied adults. miles

#4841337 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: Steve]
GeauxLSU Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: GA
Originally Posted By: Steve
On that ENTIRE list that's the only thing I even had to think about. I thought about it. That's up to the individual states.
So to answer your question, NO! And it would be really really REALLY be great if some of those happened.

#4841377 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: GeauxLSU]
AKBoater Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Juneau, AK
Essential Air Service I would be worried about. That funds most of the commercial flights to anywhere in Alaska other than Anchorage, Juneau, and Fairbanks. Lots of the small commuter type airlines that fly around the midwest operate on EAS money. Of any that I saw on there, that cut could actually hurt. Plenty of small businesses get EAS money.

#4841386 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: GeauxLSU]
Timberlake Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: NE Iowa
After a quick run through of the list, I'd say carry on.

However, due to the interconnectedness of these things (those pesky, far reaching tentacles) that we can't immediately see I would further say that our lives would be somewhat interrupted.

So continue on, after all, we have to cut those things to find out what we cut. Sound familiar?

Unk

#4841413 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: GeauxLSU]
ltppowell Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: SE Texas
Originally Posted By: GeauxLSU
Originally Posted By: Steve
On that ENTIRE list that's the only thing I even had to think about. I thought about it. That's up to the individual states.
So to answer your question, NO! And it would be really really REALLY be great if some of those happened.

I thought the same thing, as I've yet to see any improvement of a beach that didn't have a legislator's house on top of it.

Karl Marx

#4841416 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: Timberlake]
Rock Chuck Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Filer, ID
I didn't see anything on there about switching to some kind of flat tax, thereby reducing the IRS payroll by X%

#4841436 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: Rock Chuck]
Jayhawker Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Southern California
It would be sad to see Amtrak disappear, but I'm not real satisfied with the current level of long distance service anyway and what I'd like would probably be prohibitively expensive, so I'd reluctantly agree to let it go. It's just not worth that kind of money.

#4841693 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: Jayhawker]
kwg020 Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: North of Des Moines
I didn't see Dept of Education and Dept. of Energy. Give education back to the states and the dept. of energy never really had a mission that I can tell. kwg

#4841719 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: kwg020]
T LEE Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Punta Gorda, FL
AMEN Brother!

Old cat turd!

#4841731 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: kwg020]
GeauxLSU Offline
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted By: kwg020
I didn't see Dept of Education and Dept. of Energy. Give education back to the states and the dept. of energy never really had a mission that I can tell. kwg
Blasphemy! The Dept. of Energy was created in the 70s in the Carter administration to help eliminate our dependence on foreign oil!
Oh... wait a minute.... blush

#4841758 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: GeauxLSU]
denton Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Utah
The only keeper on the list as far as I am concerned is the MEP program. It really pays for itself multiple times over in the competitive efficiencies of small and medium companies.

#4841767 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: denton]
smalljawbasser Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: North East TN
you know what, we're way in debt. i'm not saying we have to be completely out of debt, but we have to reduce it.

and sometimes you have to cut out some things that hurt a little bit. i don't see anything on that list that hurts even a little bit. which tells me there's plenty more fat to trim.

#4841772 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: GeauxLSU]
Junior1942 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: North Louisiana
1. End the oil depletion allowance for trillion $ oil companies and plain ol' billion $ oil companies.

2. End the non-tax status of all religions.

3. End paying farmers not to farm.

4. End crop subsidies.

5. Require farmers to build their own levees around their own fields.

That's a good start.

#4841784 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: Junior1942]
GeauxLSU Offline
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted By: Junior1942
1. End the oil depletion allowance for trillion $ oil companies and plain ol' billion $ oil companies.

2. End the non-tax status of all religions.

3. End paying farmers not to farm.

4. End crop subsidies.

5. Require farmers to build their own levees around their own fields.

That's a good start.
I'll support #2 (FULLY!) when the government gets out of the charity business. I will immediately support ending the exempt status for those charities that don't abide by the non political requirements of their 501c status though!

#4841896 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: GeauxLSU]
amax155 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Ellisville, Ms
I really like those DavisBacon act paychecks, besides that was a Republican act when it was passed.

#4841898 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: amax155]
GeauxLSU Offline
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted By: amax155
I really like those DavisBacon act paychecks, besides that was a Republican act when it was passed.
Another case of why the 'minimum wage' cost way WAY more than the 'minimum wage'.

#4841914 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: Steve]
derby_dude Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Montana, Lewis and Clark Count...
International Fund for Ireland. $17 million annual savings.

Hey, we can't cut funding to Ireland!!!!!!! eek grin

Nope, it can all go.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

#4841923 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: GeauxLSU]
RAS2 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: west Pa.
Another case of why the 'minimum wage' cost way WAY more than the 'minimum wage'.

First: How much is it now?
Second: What should it be?

#4841976 - 01/20/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: RAS2]
GeauxLSU Offline
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted By: RAS2

First: How much is it now?
Second: What should it be?

1)Federally, $7.25
2) $0.00

#4842351 - 01/21/11 Re: GOPS's Spending cuts: Anything on the list you couldn't live without? [Re: AKBoater]
Archerhunter Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: A sandy knoll,
Originally Posted By: AKBoater
Essential Air Service I would be worried about. That funds most of the commercial flights to anywhere in Alaska other than Anchorage, Juneau, and Fairbanks. Lots of the small commuter type airlines that fly around the midwest operate on EAS money. Of any that I saw on there, that cut could actually hurt. Plenty of small businesses get EAS money.

Not just pecking on any particular post that would lament this or that loss but, if people want products and services they'll pay for them. If not, oh well. Must not have been that essential.

Most of the list is a few million here and a few million there. Pfft. I know 2 items either of which would save more than most 10 things above added up. stop free flow of products and humans and cash either direction on the Mexican border and end the phony war on drugs. those two alone, a half a trillion a year.
Course, a lot of people would have to find gainful employment. Some of them in Mexico.

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for a $300 PERFORMANCE REWARD on the IMPROVED LEICA HD-B RANGEFINDING BINOCULARS!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE to see SUPERB STEINER OPTICS!
Who's Online
74 registered (1sgLunde, 25classic, 66niteowl, 79S, 222Rem, 280shooter, 8 invisible), 367 Guests and 252 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,295 Registered Members
72 Forums
688,146 Topics
9,940,629 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.