Print Thread
Hop To
D
DOO_DAH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I just recieved a new catalog from LEE. This bullet is a 500 grainer, pointed nose with a ballistic coefficient of 443. Have any of you used this bullet? I've been loading for 53 years and for accuracy I always start with a high BC bullet. As far as I know this is the highest I've seen for a 45 cal cast bullet. Am I wrong.

a wet bird never flies at night unless it has to
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a fair bullet to about 400 yds, after that it'll go to pot on you in a hurry.
Also those lee moulds don't have enough material to hold up to casting many of those big bullets.
Go with something good and with a prooven track record from Lyman,RCBS or Saeco.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Doo Dah, you just wait till Blackwater gets here, he'll sort it out for you.

You'll end up buying a nose pour mold.

I am not ppine, please don't confuse me with him....
D
DOO_DAH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Yep, hope he doesn't find this place.

D
DOO_DAH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Last week somebody posted a priture of 4 of you fellars with a dead buffalo critter. My ol' lady got my printer fixed so I can copy the picture. Problem is that I can't find the picture. Somebody tell me where it is so I can copy and frame the thing for my camp.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DOO_DAH . . . Is it somewhere in this post? Lots of pictures if your finger don't go numb scrolling through it grin. By all accounts, the gang had a real good time . . .

TRY THIS ONE . . .
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4684847/4

Last edited by Otter; 01/20/11. Reason: changed link

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
D
DOO_DAH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks fellars. ET sent it to me.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Porkypine, I'd NEVER pretend to "straighten out" the Exhalted Doo Dah! T'wouldn't be possible, but if it were, it'd still be just plain WRONG!

Doo, I've got that mould, and have cast up some bullets, but have yet to fire a single one, so I can't provide any info for you. Wish I could help, but ....

Biggest quarrel I'd have with the bullet is that pointy nose. Subsonic bullets don't benefit from pointy noses, and studies have shown that the sloping rounded point, sort'a like a rocket nose cone, is about as good as it gets for subsonic boolits. They're more stable, for instance, when going transonic from a supersonic speed. Going transonic has been termed a sort of "ballistic menopause" because the bullet becomes subject to a number of "traumatic" forces that tend to make it want to tumble instead of keeping its point stably forward. I don't pretend to understand it all, but if ya' look at all the best bullets from years ago when folks actually EXPERIMENTED with actual bullet designs in multiple guns to find the best designs, they're all more blunt than the Lee bullet. Back then, they weren't quite sure what made a bullet good or "bad," so they just did those experiments until they found out what worked and what didn't. That's the way most all sciences start out in the initial phases. Find what works, then develop a theory to explain it. Understanding this, we are inevitably led to conclude that science should ALWAYS be taken with at least a pinch of salt, but of course folks nowadays want their answers "Easy" instead of "Right," but that's a whole 'nother subject, ain't it?

Now if yew'lll observe, I said th' bullet ain't no dang good, but I also said I had the mould, didn't I? That's because, like I said, we need to take all these scientifical theories with a smidge of salt, and be agnostic until they're PROVEN in OUR guns. I've just been too dang lazy or busy or otherwise neglectful in gatherin' any data you might find profitable in yer own search for th' "perfect load."

With white powder, and at speeds above 1300 fps. or so, I'd expect it to do at least reasonably well. Dick Lee ain't no fool, though he does get criticized when he does things his way instead of how others think he OUGHT to have done 'em. I just figured that for the price, the mould's too cheap NOT to have, and ought to be given some sort'a chance to EARN its keep. Just made sense to me, but then, I kinna' like gettin' new moulds of ANY type.

One note I can provide is that it seemed to cast wheelweight alloy better than my other cast iron moulds. I say "seemed" because I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet, and haven't ground any on my belt sander looking for voids .... yet. Just for you, I may do so just to see what they're like inside if I can just FIND the darn things. Doncha' just HATE it when ya' hide stuff from yourself?

That's th' view from th' swamp, anyhow. Yew catchin' any fish? It's almost shad season. Ya' ought'a come to Jawja mid Feb and let me put ya' on some. You'd have a BIG ol' time, I promise. Not like Homer an' Kyle. Them boys cain't catch fish anyhow.

S
S
One thing for sure. The smaller the mold the faster one has to work to make even boolits.

S
S
I get a 404 on yewr post. Which means I doan get it.

IC B3

D
DOO_DAH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Sure am glad you fellars showed up over here. The guys around here know all kinds of good stuff but they are from up nawth and I have trouble understanding what they say sometimes. Maybe y'all can translate. Sulfer, you and ET have original old guns so y'all will probably get along real good. Blackwater, well, you and me are just common folk with new fangled guns so I wish us the best.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If I'm goin' to hang around here, I expect I best post some bonafides.

[Linked Image]

I'm too cheap to buy the real good stuff, both the Sharps and the Rolling Block are Pedersolis.

I haven't seen any mention on this board of scoping a Sharps, but if you read the history of the Buffalo Runners you'll find that many of them did use scoped rifles.

http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/resources/archives/five/buffalo.htm

I'm an old coot, probably as ancient as Mr Dah. I haven't been shooting the holy black much lately, but I'm fixin' to change that when I get to Texas in a week or two. Here in Colorado it seems the weather only lets you shoot BP cartridge a few weeks of the year. High temps and low humidity make it difficult to shoot long strings in the summer. And the winter weather is not conductive to going out and laying in the snow.

The good thing about me is that I'm friends with the Doo Dah, Blackwater and a number of other old poops. The bad thing about me is that I'm friends with Doo Dah, Blackwater and a number of other old poops.

I am not ppine, please don't confuse me with him....
D
DOO_DAH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Bro Pine, Evil Twin or one of the other regs around here probably have the original of the scopes. Wouldn't surprise me a bit. They go and kill real bufflers while we sit around and kill steel plates. But, I bet we've killed more jugs of sourmash than they have.

S
S
Mr. Pine, I salute you, sir as a fellow Holy Black Shooter with sech beautiful rifleguns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 16Racing, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,353
Posts18,527,038
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.