Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#4815727 01/13/11
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Been finishing up a project, and the brain is already starting the next one.

Planning on a blackpowder cartridge this time for a SxS short barreled plaything, and I was basing my work on finding cheap parts.

Got a line on a couple barrels for the 43 Spanish, and I just wanted to get the collective skinny on this cartridge as a viable double gun cartridge in black powder.

Been told (here) that bottlenecks don't always make the best BP cartridges, but is the 43 Espanol the exception?

Would I be better off just going 45-70?

Is there another caliber I should be looking at to handle charging woodchucks under 100 yards?

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Are you aware that 43 Spanish brass is close to $3 a pop?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With Necks to THICK at no extra charge.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Buffalo Arms has the loaded ammo for 76 bucks/box of 20.

a wet bird never flies at night unless it has to
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
If you've not worked with BP in cartridges the 45-70 is always the best first time around and is never wrong. Selection of componets, data and a jillion rounds of experience among shooters definitely gives the old war horse the advantage. If you're wanting something different from the herd the 43 Spanish is not a bad choice. I assume you've looked into the ballistics. A little light in bullet weight compared to the 45-70 but certainly adequate for any medium game in the U. S. Given that you mentioned short barrels in a double one assumes you're looking at an express type cartridge so the lighter bullet would be right in line. To my knowledge bullet selection is limited in all the 43's and that can cause NO END of frustration when regulating the barrels with the load. Something one might keep in mind. The Mauser is .446, the Spanish 1 7/8 BN case .439, and a later Spanish straight case, the Reformado, that takes a .454. 11mm's are all over the place thus few bullets in the U. S.

I have a 43 Mauser in a German double, a BN case, and I didn't have any problems finding a good, accurate, straight BP load for individual barrels, (see post in "New guy-Old shooter", page 4 I believe). I did have problems finding a load that would regulate and ended up using a duplex load. Many years ago I worked up a good load for a Martini-Henry in 577/450 and it didn't take long. I did use a lot of filler in the 577/450. I too have heard the BN bugaboo and am inclined to believe it. My experience with BN cases was not unpleasant until I tried to get two barrels to shoot to the same POA and I've had that same issue with straight cases in BP double rifles. Good luck and I'd be curious to know what you choose.

Vic

Last edited by sharps4590; 01/13/11. Reason: Failure to remember

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
IC B2

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Vic.

The whole exercise is that I like tinkering, so a black sheep in a herd of white cattle is fine. The component issue is an issue, however, unless I decided to start rolling my own, but that's still a challenge for regulation.

Thing is, I may never make another one, so do I want the cool factor or not. Guess I need to sort that out.

Originally Posted by Craigster
Are you aware that 43 Spanish brass is close to $3 a pop?

Do now.

I know that many of the ol' BP cases were capable of longer range performance, but I'm concentrating on big lead at shorter ranges, and the chunks that the 43 are capable of hurling are more than adequate for proposed use.

But it seems the more questions I ask, the more the 45-70 keeps rearing its head.

Which is why I ask.

Thanks guys.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Unless you're very good at regulating a double with the barrel wedge to a particular factory load you will almost certainly have to reload, regardless the cartridge you choose. I believe if I were contemplating doing something as you describe...if I was even capable of such work...I'd go 45-70 and eliminate the cartridge problem. If this is your first endeavor with a double rifle you have an education ahead of you.

crossfire mentioned necks too thick. I had that problem with some Bertram 40-82 WCF brass. More frustration and another thing to consider. And he's right, they don't charge extra for it.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jamison sells 43 spanish brass a bit cheaper than 3 $.

Another option if the barrels slug out to the proper bore and groove would be either 44-77's the bottleneck (again available brass from Jamison) or the straight version, made by running 45-70 brass into the sizing die.

The 44-77 sharps/remington bottleneck was the original US Creedmoor cartridge.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
S
S
Originally Posted by RWE
Been finishing up a project, and the brain is already starting the next one.

Planning on a blackpowder cartridge this time for a SxS short barreled plaything, and I was basing my work on finding cheap parts.

Got a line on a couple barrels for the 43 Spanish, and I just wanted to get the collective skinny on this cartridge as a viable double gun cartridge in black powder.

Been told (here) that bottlenecks don't always make the best BP cartridges, but is the 43 Espanol the exception?

Would I be better off just going 45-70?

Is there another caliber I should be looking at to handle charging woodchucks under 100 yards?

I got one of them in that caliber. Relined it for a 38/55 with lenghtened throat fer 38/70.

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Go with the 45-70 ( to many reasons why to list)
so do I want the cool factor or not

Nor sure what you mean by the cool factor however to me "cool" is not the 43 Spanish.
IMHO

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,410
Posts18,528,153
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.