Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
...I've read alot about this caliber - .7mm-08 - and I'm wanting to purchase a synthetic/stainless rifle that is engineered to take advantage of the short action of this caliber (lightweight)and efficiency (no reason to have a 24" barrle in this cal). Tikka runs a standard action regardless of caliber and has too much plastic for my taste...Kimber 84m Montana really fits the bill and builds around this caliber very well -but- it really seems to be a huge gamble (a LOT of bad reviews out there on accuracy)...also looked at Remington 700 Mountain LSS and Savage 16FCSS (too dang heavy and strange barrel twist). We stand hunt primarily in timber so I need something to go up and down trees with efficiently...with a 20" or 22" barrel. Suggestions of what is the best bang for the buck in .7mm-08? Thanks in advance for your advice...I really enjoy reading what you guys have to say on a weekly basis -

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
weakly basis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I were right handed there is no question that the Kimber 84M would be the rifle I'd get.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
About a year ago I purchased a 700 Remington SPS LH youth model in 7mm-08. I replaced the short stock with an H-S precision stock and mounted a Leupold FXII 4X scope on it. I like the 20" barrel which makes it very well suited for brushy terrain. Due to it's light weight and compact size it's a dream to carry. The X Mark trigger is outstanding with no creep and a crisp break. Even with the short barrel it is still sufficiently accurate, routinely producing three shot groups at 1.2 moa.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
...is there a difference in the quality/accuracy of the Model 700 action & barrel in their opening price-point models as opposed to some of their more expensive/deluxed Models (CDLs, etc)? -thanks again

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The only differences I've noticed between the lower priced models and the deluxe models are cosmetic.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best bang for the buck in my mind is the Marlin XS7S. It weighs under 6 1/2 lbs and will more than likely shoot wickedly good.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, get a new Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather built in south Carolina. As well-built of a factory rifle as you can find....

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Even with the short barrel it is still sufficiently accurate

Short barrels don't hinder accuracy.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Best bang for the buck in my mind is the Marlin XS7S. It weighs under 6 1/2 lbs and will more than likely shoot wickedly good.

That is as near to a "fact" on this web-site as you'll find.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Find a used one of these. It's the first generation Remington Titanium Model 700. It's lighter than anything else you can buy for anything most people would consider reasonable.

It weighs 5 1/4 lbs - naked. It can be under six pounds when scoped like mine (Ultra-light Leupold 3x9) and mine is a 7mm-08. It's so light I can hold it out at arms length like a pistol.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For young and old, on animals big and small, it just works well on everything you point it at.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by mathman
Even with the short barrel it is still sufficiently accurate

Short barrels don't hinder accuracy.

Mathman,

You are exactly right they don't. What I meant to say was the corresponding light weight, due in part to it's short barrel, of the my 700 didn't materially hinder my ability to steady the rifle. I expressed my thought very poorly.

Mike

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not many around, but find one of the special Mtn. Rifle runs Remington did for Gander Mountain. They came in a 1st generation Ti stock, think they go about a 1/4 lb. more than a 1st generation Ti at about 1/2 the cost.

Next you might want to consider a SS/Synthetic Model 7, nice little rifles as well.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cal,
You're right on the Mtn Guide. Mines a 708 with talley LW and VXIII 2.5-8. Weighs 6 lbs 12 oz

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
...no success in locating one in the past. I try to scan GunBroker & Guns America on a weekly basis and haven't had much luck. Wondering if a build makes sense at this point to get what I want...thinking a Model 700 or Savage 110 action w/ Shilen barrel dropped in an Edge (or cheaper version) maybe? If going custon - is it possible to budget and build while stay at or under $1k when all is said and done? just talking rifle here -

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I currently load for 15 rifle and 8 pistol cartridges; I've tried to keep to buying new firearms that do not require new dies and cases and bullets. Unfortunately, I keep lusting over new cartridges.

With 40 rifles, I just can't see buying new ones for the same old cartridges. But for the current situation, I'd pick the 308 over the 7mm-08.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Take a look at the Browning x-bolt in SS/Syn. I have the wood/blued version in 7mm-08. Lightweight, accurate, and well balanced.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg
...I've read alot about this caliber - .7mm-08 - and I'm wanting to purchase a synthetic/stainless rifle that is engineered to take advantage of the short action of this caliber (lightweight)and efficiency (no reason to have a 24" barrle in this cal). Tikka runs a standard action regardless of caliber and has too much plastic for my taste...Kimber 84m Montana really fits the bill and builds around this caliber very well -but- it really seems to be a huge gamble (a LOT of bad reviews out there on accuracy)...also looked at Remington 700 Mountain LSS and Savage 16FCSS (too dang heavy and strange barrel twist). We stand hunt primarily in timber so I need something to go up and down trees with efficiently...with a 20" or 22" barrel. Suggestions of what is the best bang for the buck in .7mm-08? Thanks in advance for your advice...I really enjoy reading what you guys have to say on a weekly basis -

I have the 84M Kimber in 7-08 and just do not find anything wrong with it. Great piece of equipment.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could always take a 700 SPS in 7-08, grab an ADL mag box and trigger guard and drop it into a Ti takeoff stock. Could have your gunsmith chop the barrel back to 21" or 22". You wouldn't be down to 6.5 lbs but would probably be under 7 all up, with a little more meat at the end of the barrel than the mountain rifle contour has.

Just a thought.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dropped an LSS 7/08 barreled action into a Ti stock and it came out and balanced real nice. IIRC, it came in right around 6 pounds.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
....7mm08 is a very efficient cal and the difference b/w a 22 & 24" barrel in minimal...that sounds like a reasonable and somewhat economical idea on the surface. Does more meat on the end of the barrel typically help or hurt you (accuracy-wise)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 219DW, 17CalFan, 1234, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,080
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.