-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Because we could and they had it coming. Words of my realatives who fought the japs.

They too were working on an atom bomb and would have used it when perfected. They were very close to this as we found out when one was discovered.

The hatred for the japs went with them to their graves. What they did to our boys in prison camps was barbaric, course hardly anyone knows of this.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
This post doesn't make much sense - since the real reason why the world did not fight the Japanese until after the war in Europe was over was due to the fact that even Hitler realized that no one could win a war with two fronts.

The Germans in fact did not even want the Japanese in their alliance - nor was the Italians of much help.
But at least the Italians were of some use because they defended the access from the Alps into Germany.

The reason why we dropped the bomb was to show them the mighty force of the Americans and to show them that we could sustain the war at any cost.

The real devastation of the bomb was not it's nuclear powers, but the fact that we claimed that we had an endless supply of bombs. When in fact - we had just enough materials to make maybe a 3rd and possibly a 4th and that was it.

When the Soviet's realized that we were going to take Japan - they wanted in on it and so they attacked Korea and Vietnam - Indochina and they took as much territory as quickly as possibly.

Just think of it like the land rush of '89 and the Sooner's in Oklahoma. http://www.library.cornell.edu/Reps/DOCS/landrush.htm

The Japanese emperor was more afraid of the Russians then they were of the Americans.
We let the Russians take Europe and they kept everything they took.

The American government realized that we were going to loose 750k troops just trying to invade the beaches of Japan.
The reason why we took some of those islands in the end so easily was due to the fact that the Japanese sacrificed their planes in an attempt to stop the American carriers and destroyers and battleships - Kamikaze, instead of keeping them in reserve and using them to protect their homeland.

The United States never would have launched either plane had they known that when the plane took off that it possibly could have been shot down along the way.
This required total air domination.

My Uncle Walt was a B-25 pilot during the war and explained a lot of the war to me before he died.
He flew over 50 missions - both over Germany and against the people of Japan and flew several dozen missions over the hump.

Anyone stupid enough to try to simplify the war into something as complex as the conquering of the Japanese people - when they were spread out over 5,000 miles of ocean - would be like me trying to explain Quantum Physic's with a slide rule and a pencil and a piece of paper.

The Germans lost the war because they ran out of Fuel - both gasoline, diesel fuel, motor oil and they lacked the capacity to manufacture war supplies on a large scale.
If Hitler would have waited 4 more years before he attacked Poland - he would have won the war.
If Hitler would have used his Jet Aircraft to attack American bombers and not tried to use it as a bomber itself - they would have been in a better position.
If they never would have attacked Russia - they would not have lost what they did and they would have been able to take Great Britain - had they not stopped the bombing campaign - during the Blitz.

If the United States would not have entered the war - they would all be speaking German or Russian by now.

The Germans attacked a munitions plant in New Jersey during WW II. There is no one that can tell me that no battle in WW II was fought on American soil.
Just look at the holes they had to patch up in the statue of Liberty after the explosives plant blew up.
Just look at the forest fires that were started in the Pacific Northwest - they were started by balloons that were released from either ships or from submarines and were designed to ignite the forests of the Pacific North West.

All these things were covered up during the war to assure the American people that they were safe here and that our government was here to protect them.

We did not deport any German speaking people to detention centers as a matter of fact - we used them in our military as interpreters.

The Japanese were the real threat to the USA because they had open access to the Pacific.
The Germans had no warm water ports at the start of the war.

Someone here needs to get their facts straight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crosshair
Curious: just how many Japanese folks have you talked to in your coming up with these 'facts' on an entire society's collective conscience?

Literary items like the Rape of Nanking. Newspaper articles concerning beheading contests. What has to be understood is that Shintoism and the Code of Bushido was taught from birth. The japs saw all other people, especially Chinese, as sub human. They thought no more of killing them than a rat. This belief system was ingrained into the Japanese peoples belief system.

I see. So what you're saying is you haven't personally spoken to a Japanese of the age that had them recall what went on in those days, is that correct? Makes sense then. I have spoken, at length, with some who have. None of the sinister stuff you talk about through your readings was embraced by ordinary Japanese citizens, in my conversations with many elderly when I asked such questions. None.

My wife's grandma speaks about it from the perspective of a country girl living near the base of Mt. Fuji. She and her family never held any animosity towards westerners, or any other people. They didn't know much about the rest of the world. They were simple farmers, and kept largely in the dark by the powers that be, and were horrified to learn of the deeds of some of the Japanese soldiers when the truth started coming out years later.

She has recalled her memories of the first Americans to visit her part of the world. An American fighter swept out of the clouds and came in on a gun run, and killed three young kids and a couple of elderly as they worked the fields. Well, that's war for you, I guess.

I understand the anger, mistrust and disgust at atrocities committed by the Japanese war machine and war criminals, but your lumping the entire populace of Japan in with what heinous crimes some perpetrated is both false, and claiming to understand the collective mindset and conscience of the Japanese of that time--based on what you've read-- is nothing more than a pipedream.

Have a good one.

L

P.S. Oh, and for the record, I'm damned glad the bombs were dropped. Many millions of lives were saved as a result. As another aside, President Truman wasn't a racist. He was very kind to my aunt Aya. They used to ride the elevator together in Washington, D.C, when she worked as an executive aide to Congressman Hamilton Fish (NY-R). He was quite chatty. This after my family was let out of the internment camps, of course.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forgot to add: great pics, OP. Thanks for sharing.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Leighton;

Spot on.

War is Hell, and regardless of anything else about it, dropping those bombs (as horrific as the consequences were) saved millions of lives.

FWIW, my wife's grandfather was the radio operator on the B-29 that was backup for the "Enola Gay" had she not been flight ready. His recount of what the EG's flight crew came back and said left his voice cracking and him physically shaken, even these many years later.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Sean. I have seen interviews (recently I watched a doco done with some of the crew; found it on Netflix about the bombings specicially, actually), and those men were not ashamed, and realized the lives they were saving, but were hardly ecstatic about the devastation they had unleashed on a civillian city. But they did what they had to, and in the long run, saved millions of lives on both sides. The right call was made.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
When the words from a man that was there essentially hit you with the "we thought we'd literally opened the door to Hell", that says something.

No, they were not ashamed; there was no reason to be. And, believe it or not, they were not overly proud either. They knew exactly what they were being asked to do, and what the impacts of those actions would be down below on the target sites, and exactly what the target site was.

They did their duty, carried out their orders, and lived with the consequences knowing full well that had they not been able to do that, so many more would have died so much more horribly.

It is good that our generation, on both sides, can look at this now and say "yes, the right call was made".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
When the words from a man that was there essentially hit you with the "we thought we'd literally opened the door to Hell", that says something.

No, they were not ashamed; there was no reason to be. And, believe it or not, they were not overly proud either. They knew exactly what they were being asked to do, and what the impacts of those actions would be down below on the target sites, and exactly what the target site was.

They did their duty, carried out their orders, and lived with the consequences knowing full well that had they not been able to do that, so many more would have died so much more horribly.

It is good that our generation, on both sides, can look at this now and say "yes, the right call was made".

Agree with you 100%. Very well said, Sean.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
When I asked my Dad about the bombing, he a vet of the Pacific, said simply " You had to be there".

I believe it.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
There are so many personal stories that could be told by so many people that even a thread like this barely scratches the surface. As was mentioned above, war is hell and it also is no respecter of people.

My mother�s family had a fair number of people involved in the Pacific Theatre. One of her brother�s was on a ship that was hit with a kamikaze plane. Another brother ferried troops in and wounded out on several island conflicts. Her cousin was in the battle of Iwo Jimo. But the hardest for her was the fact that her husband, my dad, was in the Army Air Force and there were times when weeks on end she didn�t know where he was for sure. She was carrying his child and of course wondered if he would ever see it. It was not an easy time for her or anyone who had loved ones in the battle. To make a long story short, dad spent his last two years of the war on Tinian Island as a radio operator, mainly on the ground. I have a picture of the Enola Gay that he took after its return from its mission. Yes, I was a year and a half old when he first laid eyes on me and it took a little adjustment for me to kiss a real person goodnight, rather than a picture, every night before going to bed.

I treasure each story that my family and friends have passed on of their service in the Pacific. Very rarely have I seen a lot of animosity toward the Japanese people themselves. Most realized it was decisions made by the higher hierarchy that was responsible for them fighting in the war, not the common people. They didn�t complain about their service because they just assumed it was their duty to help defend their country and what it stood for. One person even mentioned he wish he could have met certain of the Japanese army in person because of their ability as soldiers. Yes, there were obvious atrocities committed during the war, but there are in every war. I�m not excusing anyone for them, but I myself choose to remember the whole history of what was accomplished in WW II, by both soldier and civilian who believed in their country and what it stood for, and not just these despicable acts.

I also appreciated the first post in this thread and especially the photos. I also agree it was the right call because it ended the conflict and saved who knows how many lives from both sides. I know dad always spoke of it as what brought them home and not as what defeated the Japanese.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Duquensebeer
This post doesn't make much sense - since the real reason why the world did not fight the Japanese until after the war in Europe was over was due to the fact that even Hitler realized that no one could win a war with two fronts.

The Germans in fact did not even want the Japanese in their alliance - nor was the Italians of much help.
But at least the Italians were of some use because they defended the access from the Alps into Germany.

The reason why we dropped the bomb was to show them the mighty force of the Americans and to show them that we could sustain the war at any cost.

The real devastation of the bomb was not it's nuclear powers, but the fact that we claimed that we had an endless supply of bombs. When in fact - we had just enough materials to make maybe a 3rd and possibly a 4th and that was it.

When the Soviet's realized that we were going to take Japan - they wanted in on it and so they attacked Korea and Vietnam - Indochina and they took as much territory as quickly as possibly.

Just think of it like the land rush of '89 and the Sooner's in Oklahoma. http://www.library.cornell.edu/Reps/DOCS/landrush.htm

The Japanese emperor was more afraid of the Russians then they were of the Americans.

The American government realized that we were going to loose 750k troops just trying to invade the beaches of Japan.
The reason why we took some of those islands in the end so easily was due to the fact that the Japanese sacrificed their planes in an attempt to stop the American carriers and destroyers and battleships - Kamikaze, instead of keeping them in reserve and using them to protect their homeland.

The United States never would have launched either plane had they known that when the plane took off that it possibly could have been shot down along the way.

My Uncle Walt was a B-25 pilot during the war and explained a lot of the war to me before he died.
He flew over 50 missions - both over Germany and against the people of Japan and flew several dozen missions over the hump.

Anyone stupid enough to try to simplify the war into something as complex as the conquering of the Japanese people - when they were spread out over 5,000 miles of ocean - would be like me trying to explain Quantum Physic's with a slide rule and a pencil and a piece of paper.

The Germans lost the war because they ran out of Fuel - both gasoline, diesel fuel, motor oil and they lacked the capacity to manufacture war supplies on a large scale.
If Hitler would have waited 4 more years before he attacked Poland - he would have won the war.
If Hitler would have used his Jet Aircraft to attack American bombers and not tried to use it as a bomber itself - they would have been in a better position.
If they never would have attacked Russia - they would not have lost what they did and they would have been able to take Great Britain - had they not stopped the bombing campaign - during the Blitz.

If the United States would not have entered the war - they would all be speaking German or Russian by now.

The Germans attacked a munitions plant in New Jersey during WW II. There is no one that can tell me that no battle in WW II was fought on American soil.
Just look at the holes they had to patch up in the statue of Liberty after the explosives plant blew up.
Just look at the forest fires that were started in the Pacific Northwest - they were started by balloons that were released from either ships or from submarines and were designed to ignite the forests of the Pacific North West.

All these things were covered up during the war to assure the American people that they were safe here and that our government was here to protect them.

We did not deport any German speaking people to detention centers as a matter of fact - we used them in our military as interpreters.

The Japanese were the real threat to the USA because they had open access to the Pacific.

I don't even know where to start on this litany of errors and rampant stupidity.

Unbelievable.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I haven't read all the above posts but:

- It was estimated that the US could suffer up to 1,000,000 casualties in a Japan invasion.
- We were tired from the war and really wanted to get it over.
- Japan's civilian's were trained to fight with everyting, including bamboo sticks.
- The atomic bomb was developed (with a lot of British and European help) to be dropped on Germany, not Japan. The war was over in Europe in April 1945 and the plutonium bomb was only tested in July, so attention turned to Japan. The uranium �gun� bomb (Little Boy) was never tested, but the plutonium (Fat Man) was in New Mexico.
- Over 1,000,000 Purple Hearts were made for the Japan Invasion alone. None have been made since; the ones presented since were from the planned Japan invasion!

And that's why we nuked Japan.

Last edited by djs; 01/25/11.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lhonda
Originally Posted by crosshair
Curious: just how many Japanese folks have you talked to in your coming up with these 'facts' on an entire society's collective conscience?

Literary items like the Rape of Nanking. Newspaper articles concerning beheading contests. What has to be understood is that Shintoism and the Code of Bushido was taught from birth. The japs saw all other people, especially Chinese, as sub human. They thought no more of killing them than a rat. This belief system was ingrained into the Japanese peoples belief system.

I see. So what you're saying is you haven't personally spoken to a Japanese of the age that had them recall what went on in those days, is that correct? Makes sense then. I have spoken, at length, with some who have. None of the sinister stuff you talk about through your readings was embraced by ordinary Japanese citizens, in my conversations with many elderly when I asked such questions. None.

My wife's grandma speaks about it from the perspective of a country girl living near the base of Mt. Fuji. She and her family never held any animosity towards westerners, or any other people. They didn't know much about the rest of the world. They were simple farmers, and kept largely in the dark by the powers that be, and were horrified to learn of the deeds of some of the Japanese soldiers when the truth started coming out years later.

She has recalled her memories of the first Americans to visit her part of the world. An American fighter swept out of the clouds and came in on a gun run, and killed three young kids and a couple of elderly as they worked the fields. Well, that's war for you, I guess.

I understand the anger, mistrust and disgust at atrocities committed by the Japanese war machine and war criminals, but your lumping the entire populace of Japan in with what heinous crimes some perpetrated is both false, and claiming to understand the collective mindset and conscience of the Japanese of that time--based on what you've read-- is nothing more than a pipedream.

Have a good one.

L

P.S. Oh, and for the record, I'm damned glad the bombs were dropped. Many millions of lives were saved as a result. As another aside, President Truman wasn't a racist. He was very kind to my aunt Aya. They used to ride the elevator together in Washington, D.C, when she worked as an executive aide to Congressman Hamilton Fish (NY-R). He was quite chatty. This after my family was let out of the internment camps, of course.

I'm not looking for a shoot out on this debate, but I'm not sure you do understand the ill will generated by Japan's atrocities. Your sense of affairs contrasts sharply with my personal "feet on the ground" experiences in several regions of the Pacific within the first few post war decades. That included Guam, the Philippines, Japan, Hong Kong and Vietnam, largely less than 20 years post A-bomb. The division between Japan and cultures affected by Japan's expansion will not fade away until the generations involved are in their graves, if then. Until then there is a fundamental chasm that cannot be bridged.

To that end, I am of the opinion that governments and the actions of those governments are an extension of the populace of any given country. Ignorance is not an excuse before the law, nor acceptable in defense of culpability for atrocious and heinous acts. To think otherwise makes state sponsored terrorism the fault of an abstract entity called "government" as an example. People support their representative governments (willingly or not) and therefore bear responsibility for what spews forth. One either accepts that responsibility and holds their representatives to ethical standards or not, but will bear the consequences regardless. Overthrowing despotic regimes is sometimes a noble endeavor and a matter of self defense.

.02 worth on that....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not looking to change your opinion. I've travelled pretty extensively in Asia myself, and know firsthand that the Japanese are still reviled and despised in many parts of the world. A close friend of mine married a Filipina girl, and until she got to know me, the wife's grandmother would look at me like I'd [bleep] on her food that morning. A look of total disgust. And while I've never been in the military, I understand hate, Dan. The kind of hate that makes people want others dead. Really I do.

As far as civillians being responsible for war atrocities, and war itself, I'm not buying. In a militaristic/imperialist regime, how much power do you really think that a poor village has in order to make policy or wage war?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Duqnesbeer,

You Quote:

"This post doesn't make much sense - since the real reason why the world did not fight the Japanese until after the war in Europe was over was due to the fact that even Hitler realized that no one could win a war with two fronts".

We were fighting in the Pacific from the minute the first bomb was dropped at Pearl and the Phillipines. We didn't wait until the ETA was over. The carrier battle of Coral Sea was fought May 4-8. We invaded Guadalcanal on August 7 of 1942. Most of the Pacific theatre fighting occured before Germany was whipped.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just one of many idiotic statements in that post by Duquensebeer.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
And the statement about Hitler and a two-front war.

Operation Barbarossa??? Argued against vehemently by the General Staff on the grounds of a two-front war.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All power flows from The People. Theory our country was founded on while under the heel of a tyrant.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Holy crap....

I've seen and read stupid by this idiot before, but the sheer magnitude of stupid in this post has to be into unrivaled territory.

Hitler: Operation Barbarossa. Look it up.
We started fighting the Japanese in December of 1941. The war in Europe wasn't over until 1945.

The Tripartite Pact of 1940 was at the behest of Germany; they sought out Japan and Italy.

Laughable, on it's face, in light of the actual facts and the released discussions by Truman and the War Department on the topic of dropping the bomb.

Originally Posted by Duquesnebeer

Again, laughable.

Try again; think about the conferences in Tehran in 1943 and in Yalta in 1944, both of which gameplanned Russian involvement in the Asian theater.

That analogy is far more appropriately used to describe your cranial-anal inversion.

Simply no basis in fact, and little in even cogent imagination. Hint: it was the U.S. that the Japanese attacked, and it was the U.S. that had been firebombing the islands of Japan; the Russians had already lost to the Japanese in the Sino-Russian war.

Again, Tehran and Yalta. BTW - it would appear that WE took a hell of a lot of Europe as well; like France, Spain, Italy, and most of Germany.

That, at least, is close to fact.

What "easy" islands were those? Iwo Jima? Saipan? Okinawa?

Irrelevant. We had air superiority LONG before we had the technology.

Your uncle ought to come back out of the grave and kick your azz for being so poorly informed and educated on WWII, at a minimum. The other "traits" you possess would likely keep in the ground out of shame of association.

It'd be interesting to see a list of B-25 pilots or units that operated in all theaters. Since there were less than 10k B-25s made, and there had to be DAMNED few that "flew over the hump" with an operational ceiling of 25,000 feet, whilst "the hump" could put you well over that, easily.

Considering how far wrong you are on WWII, perhaps you should try quantum physics next. You couldn't miss by much more.

Germany had the capacity. Had they waited, yes, they likely could have won. Had they done just a few things differently as it was, they still could have won.

The jets were too little, too late, and at that point, likely not going to make a difference.

Barbarossa killed the Germans. As did attacking the British, which they really didn't have to do at that point.

Possible.

There were battles fought on American soil. The Aleutians, the Solomans, Pearl Harbor, and many other island battles in the Pacific were on U.S. territories; i.e., U.S. soil.

None of those (even not contesting the veracity of some of it, which is severely lacking) were "battles".

We used lots of folks as interpreters.

Mostly correct, though "warm water ports" has nothing to do with it; the German navy was pretty damned formidable as it was, and they had access to the Atlantic.

You're right; someone does. Look in the mirror and tell him that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You certainly have a point, but comparing colonial America with an ancient feudal society come (damn program bleeped out the proper spelling of the word on me!) imperialist/militaristic such as with Japan, with an isolated culture going back a couple thousand years is a little different as far as cultural dynamics, I'd suggest. They were not a democratic society. There were several different classes of people in Japan, at one time made up essentially of four classes: lords, samurai, farmer and merchant (in that order). Anyway, I'm not entirely agreeing with you, and I'm not entirely disagreeing with you. Bad [bleep] happens in war, that is certain. I'm sure with your background, you've heard of more than one My Lai. Was that kind of horror right? Of course not. No more than was gassing Jews, disemboweling a pregnant Chinese or wiping out a village of unarmed women, children and elderly folks. I just feel that moving on is more productive than some other alternatives. Note I did not say, "forgetting".

Cheers,

L

Last edited by lhonda; 01/25/11.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (06hunter59, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 55 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,306
Posts18,487,165
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.