Campfire Regular
C
And if so, why? Ive never had a upgraded trigger. Thanks

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jewell = Roll Royce

Timney = Chevy/Ford

Comparing the 2 is like comparing good caviar to carp roe. Not even in the same zip code.

JEff

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Timney = tough

Jewell = tender

Hard for me to holster rugged reliability.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never had a jewell lock because of minor crap....but have had one lock because of a grain of RL15 fell in there. I have broken at least three jewells from according to jewell "running them too hot" I did not change my loads when I got the repaired triggers back sooo I am wondering if that was the real problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Timney = tough

Jewell = tender

Hard for me to holster rugged reliability.................

Timney = hunter

Jewell = competition

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Play" is different from "keeps".

But in fairness,I'm purty hard on riggin'...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is just me, but if I could have I would have a Jewell in every rig I run. The one I've had in my Mashburn has been thru heck and back and I am not one to be kind to a rig either (this rig is on its 8th barrel with the trigger and never one hick up). From my experience, I'd go Jewell in a heart beat.

Been around a few others as well and to date I've not found one that wasn't capable of playing hard. YMMV...grin

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 01/26/11.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I stil prefer the jewells triggers to all others, even with the hiccups I have had. But then again I hunt in pretty sanitary conditions.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Depends totally on what purpose the rifle serves that each are pinned to.

If for hardcore hunting, Timneys are less complex and less affected by gunk and grit. A trigger pull less than 2 -3 lbs isn't needed and is in fact detrimental for most hunting.

If for competition such as Benchrest, Timney doesn't make a trigger that safely adjusts down to 2-4 oz. The Jewell, being a 3-lever design, can.

Jewells can of course be adjusted for "hunting" pull weights, but their increased complexity makes them more susceptible to getting gummed up if oil runs down into the works.

Ted
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fluff ain't my gig..................

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I recall right the trigger on my Mashburn is down around 1.5 lbs and works like a dream to me. Basically it's totally spoiled me.. wink

Have you had Jewells on hunting rifles Ted and had issues with them?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes, I have 3 Jewells -- 2 on deer/elk rifles, and 1 on a varmint rig.

I did have issues with one where oil ran down into the housing and the oil attracted sandy grit. This was one time, and luckily I caught it before I took it hunting. Flushing it out with lighter fluid returned it to perfect working order

As long as you keep the works cleaned out with a squirt or two of lighter fluid and don't oil it as Jewell recommends, you're probably good to go. But, you don't always have that luxury, so I don't think it's as good a choice on a hardcore all-weather hunting rifle as a simpler 2-lever trigger.

I certainly like the feel of a Jewell better, but when you're wearing gloves, in cold weather, combined with the excitement of the hunt, the difference really doesn't come into play.

Logic says that any mechanism that is more complex is likely to be more susceptible to problems than a simpler mechanism designed for the same task.

Ted
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fairweather Forays,is far more forgiving than the typical sense of humor Mother Nature has in these parts.

Jewell makes great stuff,but it simply ain't ruggedly reliable,because it were purposely crafted in a different direction.

Simple facts..............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear you on the logic, just never encountered any problems. I've never touched them after installing them and they just work.

All of our experiences vary for sure but from what I've experienced they don't scare me a bit.

Dober

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've drug my Jewell triggered rifles all over Alaska from snowshoe hunts in 10' of snow to the Brooks range to moose swamps and float hunts. Never ever had any kind of issue, maybe I'm lucky. I do use a bore guide without fail when cleaning my rifles, so no oil or solvent get's into the action/trigger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You or the boys ever run any SS Shilen triggers ? Think they are the only one besides Jewell that makes SS triggers besides Remington of course.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I haven't owned a Shilen trigger, but I installed one in a friend's rifle. Had a good trigger pull, but it was adj to 2lb, so it wasn't set in Jewell territory. Really, it felt about like what I'd expect of a Timney or Basix.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's plenty light for me as I was interested in one for a hunting rifle. I'd never go lower than 2.5 lbs.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If memory serves, I believe it was more expensive than a Timney, so if you're looking for a good 2.5# pull, Timney is more than good enough, unless having SS innards is of critical importance.

You aren't likely to be disappointed by it; I can comfortably say that.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Jewell will adjust down to 8 to 12 ounces easily with the right spring, I forget if it is the A or C spring. It's beautiful for a varmint rifle, just put your finger on it, think happy thoughts and it goes off.

But when you try to adjust it up to 2 or more pounds it has a "squish" to it. It's not creep, but the trigger definitely moves or has a bit of take up before it breaks. It's still a good trigger but it was a bit disconcerting to feel it move when you're expecting that glass rod break.

Never used any other replacement trigger as I have always been able to get a stock Remington or Winchester (old style) trigger down to about 2.5 to 3 pounds safely with a crisp break.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

323 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 160user, 22kHornet, 1badf350, 21, 33 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,112
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.