Hop To
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Royce
Just for the record, does anyone know of an instance where a black bear injured a hunter? The last one I know of was written up by Jack O'Connor when he was with Outdoor life, and that was a week or two ago...

Fred

A guide was chewed by a wounded bear this past September in the Patten area.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Patten- Used to be a lady that lived in Patten that ran some kind of animal shelter- She had a bear named Boscoe that loved beer!
fred

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
In looking at your original post again about having the Marlin 336 .35 Rem. cut down to Trapper length besides the 336 Marauder and stainless LTD I found one of these last night at a local shop and put it on lay-a-way....

http://www.gunsamerica.com/91083114...ever-Action/Marlin_Model_336D_35_REM.htm

I looked for some information on the gun and turns out it was a limited run about 5-6 years ago for Davidsons Wholesale....and like you wanted...it points like a shotgun.

I had a 336ER .356 on lay-a-way but liked this one so much more I switched them out...so if anyone is looking for a real clean 336ER call KTP at 207-439-2700. It has a nice scope and was only $675 which is on the low end of what they have been selling for on GunBroker...

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
B
B
Many, many, many years ago I was invited on a deer hunt as an observer. I thought it would be good to hunt so decided to build a rifle to suit. I found a Mauser 96 (Brazillian?) carbine in 7X57, it had a fairly good barrel (2inches apprx at 100 yards) and was a clean unit overall. Gave it to a stockmaker to alter the stock to be more like my SKEET gun and I fitted an AIMPOINT sight with a 2x adaptor. Tested it with 170gr RN projectiles as memory serves me, shooting through various levels of bush to see what deflection we would get, if any, out to about 80, yards shooting at a metal plate and managed to "Ring" the gong most times. Unfortunately I injured my back sufficently to subsequently preclude me hunting over hill and dale after deer.
It sat in my gun safe for a number of years mocking me so it was passed on. I have to say it was a beaut, light to carry and very fast to bring to aim and I believe it would have fitted the bill perfectly. I can't talk about bears as ours are of the 'Koala' variety - about the size of a big fat cat

Bravo 27
A Friend DOWN UNDER

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That's a perfect scenario for my M70 Classic in 358 Win. It wears a McM stock, Leupy 2-7 and weighs 7 lbs.

Lou

NRA Benefactor member
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just for the record, does anyone know of an instance where a black bear injured a hunter? The last one I know of was written up by Jack O'Connor when he was with Outdoor life, and that was a week or two ago...

Fred

A bow hunter in Pa was chewed on more than a little a few years back, when two cubs and a sow wondered into him.

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/hunting/big-game-hunting/gf_aa016704a/#cont

Had a friend up in a tree stand and one came up after him. He hit it in the face with some climbing steps and it went back down and lay at the base of the tree for awhile before leaving.

I had a sow start snapping her jaws when I got between her and cubs during spring turkey. I backed away and she moved them off. Have had a couple other events-one when my dog put two cubs up a tree while Grouse hunting. The dog wouldn't leave the tree and eventually I had to go get him. The sow sat and watched the whole time, without seeming to get excited.

Not common in Pa. for a Black Bear to cause trouble other than the mischievous. However each year there are reports of aggressive behavior.

Last edited by battue; 01/27/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had an interaction with a good-sized blackie that sure made me appreciate the strength and intimidation factor of a bear. Was grouse hunting and it got pissed as hell at my dog and I... I think a significant part of the problem was the dog, who was a pup still and shockingly oblivious to the whole thing... grin... but at any rate, I came away thinking I'd not want to tussle with a black bear.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Why do do folks need big holes in the barrel for 'Big Woods' deer?

My old man carried a 6mm Rem for years in the ADK. Works for bears too....I always preferred the .308 but took my share of ADK bucks with a .280 Mountain Rifle too.

If i was going to build an ADK deer rifle today it would be a custom .300 Savage (Pac-Nor 19" just to be different) on a Model 7 action with a matte 1.5-5X Leupy. I might put it in a nice piece of walnut though. Or, I could just get another .308 Montucky and load it accordingly. Or, I could just use the Kimber Classic .308 that I've got. OR,....

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I'm happy using my 'old buddy' (my Win M70 30-06) in the woods just as much as anywhere else.

Just purchase something of sufficient caliber that feels good in your hands and you will be a happy camper, no matter if you are shooting a deer in the woods or if it is running across an open field...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
M
miguel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I thought I would write a conclusion to this thread that I started over a month ago as a way of fighting off cabin fever. It seems after every hunting season I start getting the itch for something different, something maybe just a little better. It has been a real learning experience hearing all of the different theories on "the ultimate big woods rifle", and you know what, every one of you were right, or should I say nobody was wrong.
I took all of your suggestions, some more seriously than others, and have bought 2 new(to me) rifles, that through trial and error, will decide if they suit my style of hunting.
The first one, and decidedly my favorite, is a late 40's vintage Remington m-141 in .35 Remington. This rifle is cherry, really hard to believe it is over 60. You collectors may not want to read this,but, I will have the barrel cut to 18" and have it drilled and tapped for mounting a 2.5x Leupold. Besides the rattling forend, I think I may grow to really love this little number.
The second one goes against the original criteria that I wanted for a big woods gun. It is a Remington 600 Mohawk, in .243 of all things. I read with great intrest the thread about the .243 in the deer hunting forum, and although I have never hunted with one, I have observed this about that round, usually the people who hate it have little or no experience with it, or were trying to use varmit bullets on deer. Usually the people who love it used an appropriate bullet, and didn't take questionable shots, good advice regardless of what caliber you are using. It will wear a 4x Leupold, and the awful birch stock has to go. Either a walnut or synthetic stock will be in the works. I just ordered 3 boxes of Barnes 85gr.TSX,hopefully I can get them to group well.
This is what is so much fun about all of this gun collecting nonsense. I'm sure both of these "new" rifles will serve me well in the future, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if any of you ever run into me up in the High Peaks Wilderness Area, I may just be toting my old Marlin 336 .35/Leupold 1.5-5. It sure has worked well in the past.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yeah - Miguel - I heard that You bought that 600 Mohawk 243. Enjoy,Good luck with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by miguel
The first one, and decidedly my favorite, is a late 40's vintage Remington m-141 in .35 Remington. This rifle is cherry, really hard to believe it is over 60. You collectors may not want to read this,but, I will have the barrel cut to 18" and have it drilled and tapped for mounting a 2.5x Leupold.

Maybe you should get it parkerized also.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just for the record, does anyone know of an instance where a black bear injured a hunter?

Three or four years ago a local guy was bitten while out walking in the woods. It is uncommon, but does happen. On a more humorous note, in the last fifteen years we have had not one, but two groups of hunters bitten while trying to load their not quite dead yet bear into a truck.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I'm a Remington 760 BDL fanatic... I collect them. All lefty's like me...

Can't cheat the mountain, Pilgrim...
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
my first rifle A marlin 35 Rem . 4x weaver scope. Would upgrade the scope but a really good rifle for under 200 yds.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've never any problem killing animals with my 30-30 carbine.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nothing wrong with the .30-30, it defintely does the job. My dilemma with using such is balance. When you slap a scope on top, it just seems to completely throw the balance off on a lever action. Bolt actions, on the other hand seem to need a scope to get the right balance, and are designed as such. I don't think there is a better handling rifle than a Marlin 24" barreled lever with a receiver sight, but when there are antler restrictions, I want glass on my rifle, especially when things are happening fast and I don't have time to bring up the binocs.

That is a very pretty 94 you have there. What variation is that?

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
NH Sharpshooter:

Remington's model 7 loses it's carbine feel when scope is installed. Yet not one gun writer has ever stated this fact. Many are quick to point out perceived flaws with TOP SELLING leverguns. Amazingly, these flaws do not affect cont'd sales figures.

That's my Legacy model 94. Scope is Leupold 2X - 7X.
Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (akpls, 300_savage, 2500HD, 79S, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 673, 14 invisible), 1,392 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,920
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.