Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 19 20
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by okok
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The war on drugs wasn't meant to be won. It was meant to empower government and drain the economy. What people choose to put in their bodies is their own business, and they should be free from legal liability until they actually harm or overtly endanger others. The only function the war on drugs serves is to support a gigantic illegal drug industry, and keep the dirty money flowing into the coffers of the CIA, crooked cops, and corrupt public officials, and to constantly expand, militarize, and centralize, police powers while contracting personal liberty.

Plus one, and the above is so blatantly obvious it shouldn't even need saying.

Supposedly free people being imprisoned for something they do to their own HEAD. Makes me want to puke.

That said there's some seriously nasty chit out there; that also obvious. Like tequila. whistle

Seriously? Those crack heads and tweekers are breaking into houses and commiting other crimes which the rest of pay for. I say build more prisons and throw away the keys.

"Throwing them into prison" has worked about as well as could be expected... which is to say, it hasn't.

Punish actions- like robbery- and hear no bitching from me. But do realize, it's at least partly the illegallity of the substances, that causes the actions, that you correctly lament.

People will always be dumbchits and that's not changing regardless of what laws you & yours might make. However- laws, especially strong ones that are enforced- have huge societal consequences. Humor me a moment. Let's say the mighty government, who you are empowering to do this, btw, decides that alchohol should be illegal. I mean, gosh golly, just look at the statistics! So now it's illegal- big time illegal. Go to jail illegal. Go to prison for a loooooong time illegal.

Okok, a whole lot of people you know would suddenly be outlaws.

So are they actually outlaws, or does common sense say otherwise? You decide.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
words are sposed to mean something. aren't they?

I think we bandy about the word war too easily and freely.

imo when there's a war folks should be getting killed

if it's a WAR on drugs, kill anyone caught in possession of em

if it's a WAR on poverty, kill the po folks

if it's a WAR on terroism, kill em all, even the ones that danced in the street when they had their minor victory

if it's a WAR on illiteracy, start with the bastid that started using the word "war" as a way to get more money for social programs

the word war ain't applicable to football games or social programs imo

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
words are sposed to mean something. aren't they?

I think we bandy about the word war too easily and freely.

imo when there's a war folks should be getting killed

if it's a WAR on drugs, kill anyone caught in possession of em

if it's a WAR on poverty, kill the po folks

if it's a WAR on terroism, kill em all, even the ones that danced in the street when they had their minor victory

if it's a WAR on illiteracy, start with the bastid that started using the word "war" as a way to get more money for social programs

the word war ain't applicable to football games or social programs imo

The improper use of the word "War" has opened up the flood gate to all the Mexicans , police and families,drug dealers and families, informers and families to be labeled as refugees from War, now we are seeing thousands of them escaping the war into Canada claiming refugee status. So yes the wrong use of a word can create havok in some countries thanks in part to our American friends who coined this word improperly.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't read the thread. Best guess is I've heard it all before...

But I will tell ya'll, I was involved in the illegal drug market for quite a few years. My step dad was a drug runner in the late 70's. He was an X cop so knew all the ins and outs of the business and how to carry on without getting busted. I learned a lot. He'd bring our dope across the border and I helped distribute the product pretty regularly, not to mention consumed quite a lot of it. We weren't really interested in making a profit, just having our own consumption covered at reduced cost or, in many cases, for absolutely free!

It was GREAT!

We spent a lot of quality time together, he and I doing our drug, especially during the early spring walleye runs. We'd sit out on the lake all day long catching fish, talking about wimmens and the weather, and just basically enjoying the day and our time together while drinking our bootleg Coors.

Had ya going, didn't I wink

His business required he go to, or at least through, Colorado on a fairly regular schedule. He'd pick up a couple dozen cases on the way through and bring them to friends on this side of the border. Once the brewery decided to allow sales in other states our profits and our little side business petered out. Our Saturday fishing trips continued on as usual but we no longer enjoyed our beer at reduced cost and all the thrill of doing something illegal that went along with it. All the sneaking around. All the keeping things under wrap. All the after dark deliveries. Everything that made it fun... gone... Only thing we had left was reminiscing about the good old days and watch our old worn out recording of 'Smokey and the Bandit'. frown

I've always been curious. I wonder how many people continued to drink Coors beer after it became legally available right next to Budweiser or any other brand. I'd bet a very high percent quit Coors and went back to their regular brand. The fun was gone. And so were the profits! Dammit!

grin

But seriously. It'd be interesting to know how many people stuck with the Coors brand after the thrill was gone.

Last edited by Archerhunter; 01/27/11.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember those days. We'd bring Coors up from NM when we went north. I also had a pretty bitchin' beer can collection. In the NM desert, you find OLD steel cans that were rusty on the up side, but nearly perfect on the side that was buried. And then there was Old Frothingslosh... The Pale Stale Ale with the Foam on the Bottom. Fat chick in a bikini. Let me see if I can conjure up a pic on my iPhone..............

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smile

With marketing scheme like that it's no wonder to me I've never heard of nor seen that brand of beer... lol

Interesting thing about my step dad was, while he was deliberately and very obviously dissing the legal system and law enforcement with our little side business, and made no bones about it, he had a real hard on for "illegal drugs". He especially hated pot, with a passion. He was one of those "kill 'em all" kinds through and through. Had I been the pot smoking type or the pill popping type he'd have beat me to a pulp, turned me over to authorities, testified against me and encouraged the judge to throw the book and assign max penalty. Then he'd have disowned me...

Always seemed VERY hypocritical to me...

(shrugs)

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If it's a war... we lost.
And they drug dealers have won.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If every kid in the school had personal knowledge of a cousin or in law or classmate or uncle who had been hung from a tree in the city park for dealing...........they would sure as heck be a little less casual about taking that first toke, or considering the trade as an occupation with a bright future.

I was a teenager in New York State in the 70's when Gov. Rockefeller was "getting tough on drugs". People were getting fifteen year sentences for a single joint.

Didn't work, drugs were still all over the place.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't have an answer, yet legalizing something as evil as meth or heroin, speed, extacy ect won't change the crime or human issues... just the definitions.

Yep.

Sure would be nice to pull the rug out from under the Cartels though.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She was stoned on otherwise legal prescription drugs.

If a Doctor was prescribing that many to her, without restrictions, he should be in jail. If she took them not according to the prescription, it is still on her. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by SteveG
Unfortunately, most abused drugs usually make the user unable to function well as a responsible adult. Even if taxed and legalized, many of those users would still steal to support the habit. Some drugs release the ego while snowing inhibitions. Most ER Docs, EMT's, and cops know that with some folks, mixing stimulants like cocaine or amphetamine with alcohol frequently produces a character approximating demonic evil.

Wouldn't need to steal, since it would be extremely cheap. Drug addicts don't steel them in Holland.

1.) In Holland, only cannibis is legal. Other drugs are prohibited.

2.) Once the government started taxing things, they would no longer be cheap. $70 for a carton of cigarettes???

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Surrender
and then collect taxes.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Drug dealers, and users committing related crime, are the #1 complaint from citizens, demanding enforcement, at all levels. The problem is that the government is the sole provider of "enforcement" and is inept. Like every thing else they touch, it evolves into a huge bureaucracy where nothing gets done but waste money.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those are some good points Pat. It would help if the government wasn't intent on prosecuting the good folks to the fullest extent of the law while making dammed sure that all the bad guys receive the best of treatment with detailed attentiveness to their rights not being violated in the least. I am simple enough that I still think in terms of good guys and bad guys and being able to pretty easily differentiate between them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The WOD is lost, was lost 30 years ago.

There's no difference between druggies and drunks, just their choice in chemicals!
If one of the chemicals is legal then the other should be legal, or vice versa.
By making the drugs legal, the various levels of government can control and monitor chemical, tax it, etc.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rattler
yeah its hard to try and find an ideal solution cause making it illegal hasnt really helped.....hell heroin abuse is making a big comeback in the States after taking a hell of a nose dive for awhile......illegal doesnt work, for the nasty chit legal aint really a good idea either other than the argument about personal freedom so long as they harm no one else....

no reason pot shouldnt be legal for adults but meth and heroin? the grip they take on a person via physical dependancy is something else......
If an adult wants to destroy his own life, who has legitimate authority to veto that decision? What if an adult decided he was going to eat to the point of being bed bound? Shouldn't there also be a law against that by your reasoning? After all, the result of doing that would be extremely bad for him. What if a restaurateur knew full well what his plan was, and was happy to provide him with all the food he wanted to eat in the process? Should the restaurateur be arrested too?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by rattler
thats a big thing for me......im very pro pot, and dont care what an individual does to their body but when your doing the chit on my dime as a tax payer i should get a say.....if you need my money to help you get by you dont have extra money to get stoned.....im all for helping those that truly need a helping hand to get back on their feet but i hate leeches.....
We just ain't got the money for it anymore, drugs aside. Somebody don't wanta work...fine, but they shouldn't get subsidized by my money-that's charity and if the government is doin' it without my consent nay even despite my protests, its tyranny. Wonder how much more folks would give to legit charities if the government didn't extort so much.
Big Plus One!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Haven't read the whole thread, but I'm not for legalizing anything other than marijuana. I know people claim it's a "gateway drug", but I don't buy it. I also know in my 19.5 years as an LEO, I've yet to deal with a belligerent pot-head, but have dealt with too many drunks who wanted to fight to even begin to count.

About the only thing you have to worry about someone who is pot baked is them getting cheeto dust on your uniform.

Last edited by Mac84; 01/27/11.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Liberals are pretty much against the war on drugs, it�s mostly the conservatives who keep it alive. But on this VERY conservative forum, after 10 pages, I see almost no support for the war on drugs, almost unanimous that it�s either a lost cause, or morally corrupt in concept. So it would appear to me that BOTH sides no longer support the war on drugs. So my question is; why are we still funding this war?

I�ll tell you why. Because the WOD gives billions to law enforcement, and the minute we decide to no longer fight the WOD, over 50% of US law enforcement funding goes right out the window. Pretty much every LE agency in America will have massive layoff�s. That�s massive layoff�s of armed individuals whom are used to being in authority. But by doing so, we clear up a moral wrong (to some) and we SAVE billions and billions of dollars.

So, at what point do we get organized and start telling our lawmakers that we no longer support the WOD, and we won�t support a lawmaker that doesn�t honor our wishes?

Page 5 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 22250rem, 1234, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,184 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,367
Posts18,506,470
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.