Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
When you think about it - nothing - is what kills the elk.
As in - nothing - where tissue used to be.
In other words - the hole.
The hole should go through important organs.
Location of said hole - is very important.
The bigger around the hole is - the faster the animal dies.
And that's all I have to say about that. whistle

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A 22 will do it. In one ear and out the other.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would say just enough energy to put a hole(preferably two) through the 'clockwork'- just like any other game animal.
Anything more than that is wasted out the other side.
JMO.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by ConradCA

The generally accepted best cartridge for elk is the 338 mag.

Do you know how that was determined?

would hazard a guess the 30-06 is used more than any and is perfectly adequate hell prolly ideal as more can shoot it easier than a 338 Win Mag.....most the elk hunters i know top out at a 300 Win Mag, plenty use 30-06's, 308's, 270 Wins ect......my daughter carries a 7-08 and is far from under gunned.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know a lot of elk hunters personally ,but the ones I do prefer the 270 WCF and 30-06 to most other stuff.
I do know a fella that has had great luck with the 45-70 on the Wapiti. I guess that big ol slug flattens 'em!
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Scott F

How close does one have to be to achieve a pass-through, Scott?
smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yeah... whistle

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never shot one, so I don't know. With a kid in college and the economy sucking wind, it may be awhile before I can.

In the meantime, I asked an elk that was part of a herd that resides in a high fence enclosure near where I hunt.

He didn't know, because he has never shot an elk either. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
The 260 Rem with a TTSX or Partition is good for elk to 900 yards, and a 270 Wby is good a little farther. A 340 Wby is needed for ranges farther than that because it kicks more, so it hits harder.

Your insane if you think that you can shoot any game animal at 900 yards! You will have to hit it and by the time you get to it it will be long gone.

[Linked Image from ]
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Just like the man said -- location, location, location. Put a bullet deep enough into the lungs/heart, and eat elk. Energy is moot.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
The 260 Rem with a TTSX or Partition is good for elk to 900 yards, and a 270 Wby is good a little farther. A 340 Wby is needed for ranges farther than that because it kicks more, so it hits harder.

Your insane if you think that you can shoot any game animal at 900 yards! You will have to hit it and by the time you get to it it will be long gone.

If you get to it, how could it be gone? Is it a pot-a-gold kind of thing?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
With decent bullets, the product of energy and sectional density will give a good idea of penetrating destructiveness.
Bill St.Clair's muzzle energy computer is here:
http://billstclair.com/energy.html

Plug in your bullet weight, down range velocity, and bullet caliber and you will get the computations.
For example, a 45ACP with 230gr @800fps(muzzle) gives an E*SD of 53, and is not something you would want to shoot an elk with.
A 150gr 30/30 with a velocity of 1700fps(200yds) gives an E*SD =229, which would be about the absolute minimum,IMO, for sport hunting of elk. But the biggest you can shoot accurately is best.

A 300gr .375H&H downrange 200yds with velocity slowed to 2200 has an E*SD of 983!

A 270 gr .375 at 500yds with velocity of 1933fps still has an E*SD over 600.

Last edited by SteveG; 01/27/11.

[Linked Image] Steve

"He wins the most, who honor saves. Success is not the test"--Ryan

Blog: http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=71
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Scott F

How close does one have to be to achieve a pass-through, Scott?
smile

It should wort to say 20 yards or so. grin

In reality it is somewhat surprising what a little bullet will do in just the right place. Through the spine just in front of the shoulder, in one ear and out the other. I have always felt bullet placement is far more important than a one pound bullet at 6,000 FPS.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SteveG
With decent bullets, the product of energy and sectional density will give a good idea of penetrating destructiveness.
Bill St.Clair's muzzle energy computer is here:
http://billstclair.com/energy.html

Plug in your bullet weight, down range velocity, and bullet caliber and you will get the computations.
For example, a 45ACP with 230gr @800fps(muzzle) gives an E*SD of 53, and is not something you would want to shoot an elk with.
A 150gr 30/30 with a velocity of 1700fps(200yds) gives an E*SD =229, which would be about the absolute minimum,IMO, for sport hunting of elk. But the biggest you can shoot accurately is best.

A 300gr .375H&H downrange 200yds with velocity slowed to 2200 has an E*SD of 983!

A 270 gr .375 at 500yds with velocity of 1933fps still has an E*SD over 600.

SD is as moot as "energy". SD doesn't take into account,THE most important facet of comparison...projectile integrity/construction. As per SD,ALL boolits of like diameter/weight have identical values,which is the grandest of ruses in their relative abilities,when extrapolated to eachother.

Here is the ascending order of what controls terminal affects.

1) Placement
2) Projectile integrity
3) Headstamp

You boys and your Fluff.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

+1.........

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
1) Placement--covered by "accuracy"
2) Projectile integrity--covered by "decent bullets"
3) Headstamp--more than covered by caliber and velocity

What you're missing is that it still takes energy and penetration to kill. A perfect bullet hitting with perfect placement from a cartridge with your favorite headstamp won't kill if it's far enough downrange or loaded to such low velocity that it will fail to penetrate.
Taint fluff, just basic smarts.

Last edited by SteveG; 01/27/11.

[Linked Image] Steve

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cite the distance with a given boolit,when they start to bounce off...instead of "stick".

Impact velocity/projectile construction,matters far more than "energy". An underhand toss of a grapefruit to your peabrain,might only straighten your crossed eyes...but an icepick in your ear with like velocity,will give you the cure. That despite your frilly grapefruit "energy" notion(s).

Smarts ain't your gig,if only obviously..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SteveG
1) Placement--covered by "accuracy"
2) Projectile integrity--covered by "decent bullets"
3) Headstamp--more than covered by caliber and velocity

What you're missing is that it still takes energy and penetration to kill. A perfect bullet hitting with perfect placement from a cartridge with your favorite headstamp won't kill if it's far enough downrange or loaded to such low velocity that it will fail to penetrate.
Taint fluff, just basic smarts.

I smell "delete".

Laffin'...............

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Betcha that smell is your nigh frozen-brain trying to scramble around, warm up, and figure out WTF energy and sectional density mean. laugh

[Linked Image] Steve

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot too much,to let Fluffers and their fluff skew reality. It's entertainin' though!

"Energy" and "SD" are feel-good axioms,to satiate the clueless in their oblivious quest,to feign experience...less yanking a trigger and spilling blood.

Cracks me up................

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,921 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,383
Posts18,469,596
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.