Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Ringman
Friends don't let friends buy zoom binoculars.

Tell that to my son-in-law. He and I use 7-15X35 Nikons. What's wrong with a binocular that start at 7X and on 15X can show me the same thing I see with my 13X56 Minox?

By your own admissions, your eyes suck.

Calls into question a lot of what works for you, as it relates to other folks.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RogerCox
Doug at Cameraland has two sleepers in his Minox show specials - the Minox porro BP binoculars. 8 and 10 X 44 -

At their show special prices, nothing comes close.

If I did not already have one of each I'd be buying...

The 8x version pops up a lot, however I am leary becuase it is a bit larger than I was looking for (the binocs he doesnt carry dont do him any good... )

Also, dont they have Internal Focus, which would make it a bit more clumsy for several different viewers to use the same binocs. (or am I completely misunderstanding what the IF is?)

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by RogerCox
Doug at Cameraland has two sleepers in his Minox show specials - the Minox porro BP binoculars. 8 and 10 X 44 -

At their show special prices, nothing comes close.

If I did not already have one of each I'd be buying...

The 8x version pops up a lot, however I am leary becuase it is a bit larger than I was looking for (the binocs he doesnt carry dont do him any good... )

Also, dont they have Internal Focus, which would make it a bit more clumsy for several different viewers to use the same binocs. (or am I completely misunderstanding what the IF is?)

You missed on IF completely. IF is individual focus; you focus each eye piece individually; making it more difficult for multiple uses.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Minox BPs have center focus. I just bought a BD 10X44 BP Great glass.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by rta48
I agree with Hawker on the Zen Ray ZRS Summit, it offers alot at this price point.

Randy

another vote for ZRS HD

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Actually in the case of the Minox porro it really IS Internal Focus. Most porro binoculars focus by moving the eye piece up and down. The Minox and the Leupold Cascade porros have the focus appratrus internally in the binocular. Makes them easy to waterproof. The Pentax WP porros are internal focus too.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I picked up a a pair of Vortex Fury 8x32 for my wife and used them on an antelope hunt alongside my Swaro 8x30's. From looking through the two together it really is hard to tell the difference between the two, obviusly the Swaro's were better but not $800 better, I'd say that the Fury's were 97% of the Swaro's, definately worth the money.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Minox BD 8x32's from Doug.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Calling Doug is always a great idea. He has such a range of choices for you and he can help you narrow it down.

That said. I like the Yosemites for under $80.

The Zen's are really nice for $200. Hard to beat the dielectric coatings.

I picked up some Carson XM XD's for about $55 on ebay and they are better than my Eagle Optics Rangers. Better coatings, contrast, colors and depth of field. I see them going NIB for $150 right now on ebay.

Finally, Vortex has the unconditional warranty which ratchets them up the list in value. The Fury line from Doug falls under $200 and that's what I'd recommend from Vortex.

Must be good to be your friend!!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Must be great to be your friend.

The Minox and the Cascade Porro are internal focus binoculars and work very well.

I have the 6X Yosemites and 8X leupold Cascade Porro binoculars.

Both are/were great values - but the Leupold has been discontined for quite some time.

I own or have owned Leica 10X42 Trinovids and Swarovski 8X SLC's - and for my eyes the Minox BP's give up nothing - or very little to those "Alpha" binoculars.

Can't argue size physical preference. If the binocular is left in the truck it makes no difference what it is.

And I have not had any hard use problems.

Roger

NRA Life

CRPA Life
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
UPDATE:

I picked up 2 used binocs for what seems to be great prices:
7x36 chuck adams bushnell and a 6.5x32 vortex fury.

I'll test drive both for a bit, and see if one will work out for him.

Thanks for all of the insight and suggesitons- much appreciated.

As an aside, I think it would be useful to have
"best buy binoc" thread for various categories/uses and price points. Surprised it doesnt exist for scopes , binocs, etc.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,259
Posts18,486,376
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.