Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It will be a long time before they get any more of this key pounders money.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just got some more info.

"most of the barrels are going to be 24� in standard rates of twist for those cartridges with our #2 contour. The Wood Stocks are American Walnut in the CM Blued models and Circassian in the SS models. The Synthetic stocks are Bell and Carlson...

...we are also contemplating a yearly runs of one special caliber. For example we may do a run of 100 rifles chambered in 6.5 x 284 or 280 AI, etc."

Info should be available on their website by the end of the month.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would never do business with MRC again, nor would I trust anything they said or promised.

MRC and the truth are frequent strangers.

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I could like a .460 wby...not a bad price if they are as decent as people say.

Perhaps I missed this, but are there any specific weights per caliber in the Dangerous Game Rifles?

Looking forward to more information!

B8

MK
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like a high dollar CZ Model 3. sick

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
Would never do business with MRC again, nor would I trust anything they said or promised.

MRC and the truth are frequent strangers.

Steve

Sounds like the results of my very brief relationship with Olympic Arms. Small scale---not too much money involved---just a hassle getting a job done right, and it was a long time ago.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Unless Kilimanjaro Rifles can make silk purses out of sows' ears, MRC actions aren't too bad to start with and can be made quite nice. The bottom Serengetti is on a MRC medium action.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Serengeti, now called Kilmanjaro Rifles use MRC actions but they have been "slicked up" considerably. Theree was quite a difference between the standard MRC action I fired and the Serengeti rifle I fired. It will be interesting to see the fit and finish of their new offerings.

BTW: Beautiful rifles goodnews.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful rifles Goodnews!

And they have the bolt handle on the correct side too.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In looking at their site they look like nice rifles. My question is about accuracy. They are priced similar to Cooper, and all of mine shoot better than the 1/2" accuracy Cooper guarantees. They are light like the Kimbers but more than double the price. The two Kimbers I had both shot sub-MOA. Combine the weight of the Kimber, the accuracy of Cooper and for just a little more than the Montana Rifle Company's offerings, one can have a NULA. How will the Montana stack up?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The rifles shown on the MRC website are not the new production rifles due out (according to MRC anyway) April/May 2011.

These production rifles will be priced (as noted in the OP) at $999 and $1045 which is 1/3rd the cost of a NULA.

I'm really hoping MRC meets their schedule and delivers a quality product.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

USPat, thanks for the link.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well hell, if I'd been paying attention I might have caught that. Still, I have questions about accuracy. Will these rifles have trued actions, will they be pillar/glass bedded, what kind of barrels will they have. It will be interesting to see.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I let the fellow I've been corresponding with know that I was posting the info here at 24hcf and I guess he looked into the thread. This is a quote from the last email I received from them:

"As to the Quality as some people on the forum have suggested, I�m sure they bought actions or rifles from us 4-8 years ago. A lot has changed since then and I can assure you they have not picked up a new 1999 since or they would see the amount of fitting and polishing we do on the actions now. We true the bolt and receivers and lap the lugs and raceways which was not done 4 years ago and prior." (italics mine)

Their MSRP is about $150 over a Ruger M77 and $200 less than a #1. Winchester's MSRP for a c/m wood stocked standard Sporter model in a magnum chambering is $50 less than the MRC. Remington wants $987 for a Model 700 CDL, that's $12 less. So their price point and probably street price seems right in line with the other major rifle makers.

On the company itself, I can know where folks are coming from as I've had a similar experience with one of the "gods" of modern knife making. On the plus side, I have or have had several examples from the companies this person headed and they were all good, nicely done knives. But when dealing directly with this person, I got unfilled promise after unfilled promise. But his companies still make nice production knives.

I'm keeping an open mind and will judge the MRC on its own merits when I see one. Kind of like "True Grit" - lots of people hated it without seeing it but those that went to see it really liked it.

Pre-judging anything is just wasted brain power to me. If they suck when we see them, then they'll suck. If they don't, then finally southpaws can get a left hand M70/98 clone in stainless in all kinds of neat calibers. We'll just have to wait and see.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I live about ten miles from MRC and used to hang out there when it was just Brian Sipe a gunsmith. It was called the Montana Rifleman back then. Brian is actually the guy who advised that I buy my Burgess back in the early 90s. He was always a very stand up guy, did good work and was fair in his price for the occasional gun work I had him do.

I don't know exact details and who's involved, but going from memory, I remember he moved his shop and combined with Les Bauska, a legendary barrel maker in Kalispell. Les was probably close to, or into his 80s at the time, and I remember Brian and Les working together on barrels. I also remember hand milled actions that were beautiful, basically what you see as an MRC action now, only milled instead of cast. I lost track of Brian around the time his Montana actions came out as I was getting into archery hunting and less interested in my rifles, but I thought the idea of an affordable action that could either be cleaned up and used as a platform for a nice custom rifle, or just blued and shot as is for a pretty good, if a little rough finished rifle was a great idea. I wish I bought one back then, I think they were less than $500.00.

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I let the fellow I've been corresponding with know that I was posting the info here at 24hcf and I guess he looked into the thread. This is a quote from the last email I received from them:

"As to the Quality as some people on the forum have suggested, I�m sure they bought actions or rifles from us 4-8 years ago. A lot has changed since then and I can assure you they have not picked up a new 1999 since or they would see the amount of fitting and polishing we do on the actions now. We true the bolt and receivers and lap the lugs and raceways which was not done 4 years ago and prior." (italics mine)

Their MSRP is about $150 over a Ruger M77 and $200 less than a #1. Winchester's MSRP for a c/m wood stocked standard Sporter model in a magnum chambering is $50 less than the MRC. Remington wants $987 for a Model 700 CDL, that's $12 less. So their price point and probably street price seems right in line with the other major rifle makers.

On the company itself, I can know where folks are coming from as I've had a similar experience with one of the "gods" of modern knife making. On the plus side, I have or have had several examples from the companies this person headed and they were all good, nicely done knives. But when dealing directly with this person, I got unfilled promise after unfilled promise. But his companies still make nice production knives.

I'm keeping an open mind and will judge the MRC on its own merits when I see one. Kind of like "True Grit" - lots of people hated it without seeing it but those that went to see it really liked it.

So, pre-judging anything is just wasted brain power to me. If they suck when we see them, then they'll suck. If they don't, then finally southpaws can get a left hand M70/98 clone in stainless in all kinds of neat calibers. We'll just have to wait and see.

That is encouraging Jim.

My fingers remain crossed.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I bought a barrelled action from MRC approx 3 years ago. It was chambered in 6.5x284 and would routinely shoot <MOA with most loads. When the barrel was shot out (1200 rounds or so), I bought a Shilen barrel in .284 Shehane. When I sent the action and new barrel to a gunsmith for headspacing and action truing, he stated that no truing was needed and installed the new barrel. This setup is now my F-class rifle (with Jewell trigger and new stock).

If the barrelled actions are the same quality as the one I received, I believe it would be a very nice rifle.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am cautiously optimistic. : )

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,632
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.