Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 20 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 19 20
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The only reason there exist such home based meth labs is that other, more preferred, drugs are too expensive, and this due to their being illegal.

Not true. With meth heads - meth is their drug of choice. They make it - just because they can and it's a cheap way to get a whole bunch.

What do you think that someone that likes speed is going to use instead of meth?

Here's my two cents on legalization of pot. YES - legalize it. End the flow of weed from Mexico and the associated violence. Things right now are changing.

Pot has become so abundent from legal and illegal growing operations in California that it's dirt cheap. A friend of a friend in California is growing it to supplement his income and now he has a hard time selling it (at any price) because there's too much of it around. The going price - $1000.00 a pound for indoor hydro grown high THC content buds.

Don't pm me asking about gettin' some either. grin Ain't gonna happen. laugh Trafficking drugs is not my bag - Dood.

Leagalize it, tax it and it will become readily available. The demand for black market weed will be greatly diminished and that's where the violence is. The violence, at least with pot, is limited to the people, gangs and smugglers that deal in very large amounts. Take away the motive for illegal profit and the violence and the costs of imprisoning drug offenders will drop cosiderably. Sure, maybe somebody will rob a dispensery but no it's different than robbing a liquor store.

Wiil there be repercussions to society at large? I don't think so. If you want to smoke pot - you can find it - legal or not.

FWIW, I don't think other drugs should be legalized or there be end to war on illicit drugs. It's a plague on society.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I knew you wuz a closet pot head, fish head. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To no one in particular but does anyone know what the sin tax on alcohol vs cigarettes is?

If UncSam has his way the tax will be more along the lines of cigarettes and the black market will very well still exist.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I knew you wuz a closet pot head, fish head. grin

With all the drivel that spews out of your mouth I've often wondered about you ........ grin

Jus sayin'

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rattler
with pot if yah grow your own its no more harmful to the environment than any other crop....

with heroin i can grow opium poppies in my front yard, cook up heroin in my kitchen and harm no one, same with cocaine....

cooking meth not only [bleep] up your place it can very well [bleep] up your neighbors.....

Wtf? There are laws against the manufacture of dangerous substances already besides just the liability after something happens. So there is a three pronged attack against your argument here. One being that if it is legal it will be cheaper and/or easier to obtain and the meth heads won't bother cooking it. Two, the financial liability to endangering your community and three the legal liability for doing so.

You can't readily manufacture cocaine and heroin out of raw materials here in the states or it would already be being done just like Meth and Pot.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking your typical meth producer isn't going to be the type to carry homeowners insurance so civil/financial liability is out the door. Maybe if he was bigtime and managed to keep from using, he may have some cash stashed.

I Burn While I See
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Liberals are pretty much against the war on drugs, it�s mostly the conservatives who keep it alive. But on this VERY conservative forum, after 10 pages, I see almost no support for the war on drugs, almost unanimous that it�s either a lost cause, or morally corrupt in concept. So it would appear to me that BOTH sides no longer support the war on drugs. So my question is; why are we still funding this war?

I�ll tell you why. Because the WOD gives billions to law enforcement, and the minute we decide to no longer fight the WOD, over 50% of US law enforcement funding goes right out the window. Pretty much every LE agency in America will have massive layoff�s. That�s massive layoff�s of armed individuals whom are used to being in authority. But by doing so, we clear up a moral wrong (to some) and we SAVE billions and billions of dollars.

So, at what point do we get organized and start telling our lawmakers that we no longer support the WOD, and we won�t support a lawmaker that doesn�t honor our wishes?

That WAS correct Keven, but shortly after 911, all funding for narcotics enforcement dried up at the local and State levels. It was redirected as "Homeland Security" grants. I'm not saying the money isn't getting wasted, to a large extent, but that the money is just not in the dope business anymore...at least not for government.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mac84
I'm thinking your typical meth producer isn't going to be the type to carry homeowners insurance so civil/financial liability is out the door. Maybe if he was bigtime and managed to keep from using, he may have some cash stashed.
You're thinking in terms of the present legal environment of illegality. Once legal, it will be manufactured cheaply by regulated companies who will be able to do it more cheaply due to mass manufacture facilities.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pat,

Question for ya.

What is Homeland Security grant money supossed to be spent on at a local law enforcement level?

I can see funding for airports or border related issues but you'd think chasing international terrorists would be at the federal level.

Isn't that what Homeland security is all about?

I know I'm missing something here. Maybe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're thinking in terms of the present legal environment of illegality. Once legal, it will be manufactured cheaply by regulated companies who will be able to do it more cheaply due to mass manufacture facilities.

Once legal? ... WTF ... You're whacked out if you think meth should be legally produced.

Who do you think that's in their right mind would ever support making it legal? ... I'm curious. ...

The international banking cartel? smile

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And you're assuming gov will keep taxes low enough unlike sin taxes on cigarettes.

I Burn While I See
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To no one in particular but does anyone know what the sin tax on alcohol vs cigarettes is?

If UncSam has his way the tax will be more along the lines of cigarettes and the black market will very well still exist.
I assume you mean federal only. $1.01 per pack on cigarettes and nickle per can of beer, 21 cents per bottle of wine. http://www.ttb.gov/tax_audit/atftaxes.shtml
Alcohol tax generates about $6b per year.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, what do you figger the tax on a pack of joints would be?

Curious minds and all ..... laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks. I pretty much thought the tax on cigarettes would be far greater.

I Burn While I See
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a huge plus side to the economy if pot is legalized. Junk food sales like doritios/cheetos/and tacos would go through the roof. Frito Lay would make a killing.

I Burn While I See
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fish head
Pat,

Question for ya.

What is Homeland Security grant money supossed to be spent on at a local law enforcement level?

I can see funding for airports or border related issues but you'd think chasing international terrorists would be at the federal level.

Isn't that what Homeland security is all about?

I know I'm missing something here. Maybe.

There are numerous grants directed at homeland security at the local level. Unfortunately frown I know all about them. None of them involve "chasing" terrostist but go directly toward protecting critical infrastructure. In our case, that involves refineries, ports and bridges that span important waterways. I'll pull up some expendature info and post it when I can find it.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's all here...if you can find it!

http://www.grants.gov/applicants/recovery.jsp

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

LEGAL Meth production ???????

"more cheaply due to mass manufacture facilities." !!!!

You're well on your way to a solid KOTY Award for 2011 TRH.

I can't believe I just read that chit.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by fish head

Once legal? ... WTF ... You're whacked out if you think meth should be legally produced.

Who do you think that's in their right mind would ever support making it legal? ... I'm curious. ...
You sound like the old biddies who pushed for alcohol Prohibition and lamented that, if repealed, demon rum would ruin the country and destroy lives. Well, yeah, certain folks will always find one way or another to ruin their lives. That's the price of freedom, i.e., you are free both to make good and bad decisions for your own life. Additionally, the problems caused to our society by drugs being legal are far outweighed by those caused by them being illegal. That said, show me in the US Constitution where the power is delegated to the Federal Government to regulate what we choose voluntarily to place into our bodies, or aren't you a believer in the rule of law? These are all state matters under our system of dual sovereignty, not national ones. If the majority in your town wish to outlaw drugs, or your county, or state, that's fine with me. What I oppose is monolithic governance and laws, especially laws that aren't within the purview of powers delegated to the national government.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
And you're assuming gov will keep taxes low enough unlike sin taxes on cigarettes.
We need to fight those too. Most such Federal taxes are violations of the Constitution falsely justified under the Commerce Clause. But even leaving your premise intact, there aren't a lot of folks getting into gun fights over cigarettes and alcohol, i.e., the prices are still within the reach of even homeless folks, taxes and all.

Page 7 of 20 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (12savage, 1lessdog, 1936M71, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,913
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.