Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 20 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 19 20
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
These are all state matters under our system of dual sovereignty, not national ones. If the majority in your town wish to outlaw drugs, or your county, or state, that's fine with me.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think a person is arrested for when they're picked up for possession of marijuana/cocaine/meth, etc.? The vast majority are being charged via State RSAs.

George

Last edited by NH K9; 01/27/11.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by fish head
So, what do you figger the tax on a pack of joints would be?

Curious minds and all ..... laugh
If you grow your own, the commerce clause doesn't in any sense authorize the Feds to tax it. It's only by a disingenuous interpretation of said clause, one which doesn't even pass the straight face test, that they tax and regulate such things. This too needs fixing.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by NH K9
These are all state matters under our system of dual sovereignty, not national ones. If the majority in your town wish to outlaw drugs, or your county, or state, that's fine with me.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think a person is arrested for when they're picked up for possession of marijuana/cocaine/meth, etc.? The vast majority are being charged via State RSAs.

George
The states enacted laws mirroring the Federal law. State legislatures figured there was no point in keeping something legal that the Feds considered a crime since they're required to enforce both anyway.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

George
Why harsh on the dude's buzz man?

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU

George
Why harsh on the dude's buzz man?
laugh Man, are you barking up the wrong tree. I tried a tobacco cigarette when I was 16, and have suffered through about five cigars in my nearly fifty years. I cook with wine, and very occasionally have a glass with dinner, or a beer. That's the full extent of my recreational drug use history.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Mac84
And you're assuming gov will keep taxes low enough unlike sin taxes on cigarettes.
We need to fight those too. Most such Federal taxes are violations of the Constitution falsely justified under the Commerce Clause. But even leaving your premise intact, there aren't a lot of folks getting into gun fights over cigarettes and alcohol, i.e., the prices are still within the reach of even homeless folks, taxes and all.

I'd bet the feds and state gov would tax pot even higher than cigarettes/alcohol. After all, those vices have been socially acceptable for eons. In the world I live and work in, people do steal and kill to afford things like alcohol and cigarettes.

Last edited by Mac84; 01/27/11.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Once legal? ... WTF ... You're whacked out if you think meth should be legally produced.

Who do you think that's in their right mind would ever support making it legal? ... I'm curious. ...
You sound like the old biddies who pushed for alcohol Prohibition and lamented that, if repealed, demon rum would ruin the country and destroy lives. Well, yeah, certain folks will always find one way or another to ruin their lives. That's the price of freedom, i.e., you are free both to make good and bad decisions for your own life. Additionally, the problems caused to our society by drugs being legal are far outweighed by those caused by them being illegal. That said, show me in the US Constitution where the power is delegated to the Federal Government to regulate what we choose voluntarily to place into our bodies, or aren't you a believer in the rule of law? These are all state matters under our system of dual sovereignty, not national ones. If the majority in your town wish to outlaw drugs, or your county, or state, that's fine with me. What I oppose is monolithic governance and laws, especially laws that aren't within the purview of powers delegated to the national government.

In the statement I highlighted I strongly disagree with you. It may work in some countries to legalize hard drugs as with heroin to a certain degree. Switzerland for example. But in America?

Crack, heroin and meth - NFW. Never - ever. Not in America and especially in today's society. That's where the big issue with legalization becomes a problem. The drug culture and those that would become a part of it are so warped in their viewpoints, ethics and morals that nothing good would ever come it. Prohibition and American culture at that time was an entirely different situation.

Do really think that rampant unchecked drug use in inner cities, beyond what it is today, would benefit the rest of us? Do you think the never ending generations of the dregs of society - the welfare culture - are going benefit from cheap legalized hard drugs? Do you want to continue to support them and in even greater numbers? Crack, heroin and meth - cheap legal and easily available??????????????

It's already a nightmare.

Here's a question back at ya. What part of American society is going to benefit from the legalization of hard drugs? Which towns or cities? ... Yours?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'd bet the feds and state gov would tax pot even higher than cigarettes/alcohol. After all, those vices have been socially acceptable for eons. In the world I live and work in, people do steal and kill to afford things like alcohol and cigarettes.
Lots of drive-bys going on between rival cigarette shops and liquor stores, are there?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

George
The states enacted laws mirroring the Federal law. State legislatures figured there was no point in keeping something legal that the Feds considered a crime since they're required to enforce both anyway.

Who is required to enforce both? If I didn't have a State RSA I wouldn't be making an arrest.

Marijuana legalization gets brought up fairly often. It goes down in the flames of public opinion just as often. As I've said before, I simply don't care if they legalize drugs or not. It needs to be an all or nothing proposition, though.

I'm eagerly awaiting the day when I can empty out all the drugs in the evidence room and stick them in a barrel onn a main road. I hope the ambulance has four flats that day....

george

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Here's a question back at ya. What part of American society is going to benefit from the legalization of hard drugs? Which towns or cities? ... Yours?
Liberty benefits everyone.

PS "Liberty," in the context of political science, refers to that condition in which one is free to exercise each of his legitimate rights without fear of legal consequence.

Since you own your own body, it's completely within your rights to do with it what you choose.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of drive-bys going on between rival cigarette shops and liquor stores, are there?

Lots of bums and punks stealing and mugging. Real life experience as opposed to the internet is a biotch.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Lots of bums and punks stealing and mugging. Real life experience as opposed to the internet is a biotch.
That's nothing a .45 cannot resolve.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Once legal? ... WTF ... You're whacked out if you think meth should be legally produced.

Who do you think that's in their right mind would ever support making it legal? ... I'm curious. ...
You sound like the old biddies who pushed for alcohol Prohibition and lamented that, if repealed, demon rum would ruin the country and destroy lives. Well, yeah, certain folks will always find one way or another to ruin their lives. That's the price of freedom, i.e., you are free both to make good and bad decisions for your own life. Additionally, the problems caused to our society by drugs being legal are far outweighed by those caused by them being illegal. That said, show me in the US Constitution where the power is delegated to the Federal Government to regulate what we choose voluntarily to place into our bodies, or aren't you a believer in the rule of law? These are all state matters under our system of dual sovereignty, not national ones. If the majority in your town wish to outlaw drugs, or your county, or state, that's fine with me. What I oppose is monolithic governance and laws, especially laws that aren't within the purview of powers delegated to the national government.

In the statement I highlighted I strongly disagree with you. It may work in some countries to legalize hard drugs as with heroin to a certain degree. Switzerland for example. But in America?

Crack, heroin and meth - NFW. Never - ever. Not in America and especially in today's society. That's where the big issue with legalization becomes a problem. The drug culture and those that would become a part of it are so warped in their viewpoints, ethics and morals that nothing good would ever come it. Prohibition and American culture at that time was an entirely different situation.

Do really think that rampant unchecked drug use in inner cities, beyond what it is today, would benefit the rest of us? Do you think the never ending generations of the dregs of society - the welfare culture - are going benefit from cheap legalized hard drugs? Do you want to continue to support them and in even greater numbers? Crack, heroin and meth - cheap legal and easily available??????????????

It's already a nightmare.

You ain't lookin' at it right. Who uses? Mainly liberal trash. If they fry their minds, less lib votes.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I would say the same in regards to someone driving a truck at me. Reality.....

George

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TRH,

I'm happy with the idea that I don't have the "right" to abuse heroin, cocaine or meth. I'm also happy with the idea that the scumbags who do it don't have the "right" either. I'd rather send them to prison - and - and - I'm willing to pay for it - with my taxes.

Take that. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TRH,

I'm happy with the idea that I don't have the "right" to abuse heroin, cocaine or meth. I'm also happy with the idea that the scumbags who do it don't have the "right" either. I'd rather send them to prison - and - and - I'm willing to pay for it - with my taxes.

Take that. smile
It ain't just your taxes. I am no longer willing to pay for it, what with the huge debt and the accumulating service thereof. If somebody wants to fry their brain, let 'em. I am also loathe to keep paying for their keep in prison, on welfare, etc. Y'all want a bunch of money to keep the military huge, so we need to get it somewhere. We are circling the drain here folks. It ain't just about civil liberties anymore-as if they aren't important enough. It's about the survival of our nation and not being overrun by the Chinese.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

That's nothing a .45 cannot resolve.
Less money for LE means less money to prosecute good citizens that solve a problem that way too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cole,

I here ya' on the issues of imprisoning users. I rather see the money spent on attempts at rehabilitation. Give em' a chance to earn a living. After that - I dunno. What do you do? Paying to imprison a crack whore or homeless heroin addict is a waste of taxpayer dollars.

On that I'll agree with you.

I still don't think legalization of hard drugs in a viable option. There has to be a deterrent. Pot? Yeah, legalize it.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
everytime this subject comes up, we form into two groups, seems like?

one group wants more LE to combat illegal drugs, the other group wants to recognize that more is not always better.

the plant derived substances such as sugar, caffeine, nicotine, marijuana, cocaine, opium etc. are either our friends or our enemies or somewhere in between, depending upon the day of the week, moon phase, etc. etc.

from an economic development standpoint we might be better off legalizing marijuana. let the organic farmers developed "niche" varieties of plants, and market locally. it'll be regulated to be sure no "wrong" pesticides were used.

taxes could be paid all up and down the line. and income would flow into rural communities. some LE would be necessarily displaced. they could be assigned to mopping up the illegal alien traffic.

the illegal drug dealers would also be displaced. they'd likely have to go to work in gainful employment, or some other illegal activity. what, i have no clue.

anyways, starting small would be good. later, the industry could consolidate, R&D could continue, and better varieties ould be developed for whatever usage. a specialty market would likely develop supplying a need, and offering worthwhile employment while encouraging local self=reliance.

what to do about opium and cocaine? destroy it at it's source unless its fully regulated.

are the alcohol and tobacco industries going to sit by and let this happen? doubt it.

reminds me of the Baptist Preachers and bootleggers keeping potentially wet counties dry. they would interlock arms, and local citizens would have to drive to the next county to supply their desires. the Sheriff would set up at the countyline to extract his share of the "illegal activity."

bootleggers thereby prospered, and the Baptist Preacher had something to rail against in the Sunday pulpit. everyone seemed to benefit, almost.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"from an economic development standpoint we might be better off legalizing marijuana. let the organic farmers developed "niche" varieties of plants, and market locally. it'll be regulated to be sure no "wrong" pesticides were used."

It's already being done in the states that have legalized medicinal marijuana.

Page 8 of 20 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,077
Posts18,501,554
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.