I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by fish head
"from an economic development standpoint we might be better off legalizing marijuana. let the organic farmers developed "niche" varieties of plants, and market locally. it'll be regulated to be sure no "wrong" pesticides were used."

It's already being done in the states that have legalized medicinal marijuana.

yep. so there you have it. a "model" to develop, learn from, and to further tweak and optimize.

local self-reliance being augmented by what the legal medical profession demands. why not ensure it's truly "organically" grown unless otherwise posted. it wouldn't have to be, not all of it. but, i'd want to know, if i were a consumer, what the plant material had been exposed to in terms of chemical pesticides.

but that's just me.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by NH K9
I would say the same in regards to someone driving a truck at me. Reality.....

George
I'm done for. Your razor wit has cut my arguments to ribbons, sir. I concede defeat. crazy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
legalize drugs and you immediately create another dependent group the government will have to be responsible for, another protected class for discrimination litigation, and another group who must be accommodated under the ADA.....and I'm sure lots of other consequences I'm not even thinking of yet.

if drugs are legal, you can't discriminate against people who fail a drug test. think about that....and its implications for....oh....say....pilots, truck drivers, surgeons....you get the idea?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
"from an economic development standpoint we might be better off legalizing marijuana. let the organic farmers developed "niche" varieties of plants, and market locally. it'll be regulated to be sure no "wrong" pesticides were used."

yep. so there you have it. a "model" to develop, learn from, and to further tweak and optimize.

local self-reliance being augmented by what the legal medical profession demands. why not ensure it's truly "organically" grown unless otherwise posted. it wouldn't have to be, not all of it. but, i'd want to know, if i were a consumer, what the plant material had been exposed to in terms of chemical pesticides.

but that's just me.

They already have testing labs in California for just that sort of thing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
laugh Man, are you barking up the wrong tree. I tried a tobacco cigarette when I was 16, and have suffered through about five cigars in my nearly fifty years. I cook with wine, and very occasionally have a glass with dinner, or a beer. That's the full extent of my recreational drug use history.

Dudette....are you telling us that the brainpower you have left and use on this forum hasn't been altered/damaged due to drugs/alcohol/tobacky in any way that would be defined as reckless or possibly damaging to one's mind?

Wow!

All American

All the time
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Gus

but that's just me.

They already have testing labs in California for just that sort of thing.

yep. once again, it's better to regulate a substance than to ban it outright. we have speedlimits, axle weights, number of legal driving hours, etc. so people who fly planes have to test "zero tolerance" for alcohol, any other mind or physically altering effects.

it's kinda like ya can't give blood if you have cold, or flu, etc.etc. it would have to be managed. right now, it's filling the coffers of the illegal drug dealers and whomever else benefits from the fallout.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gus

No thanks.

1. Alaska
2. Arizona
3. California
4. Colorado
5. DC
6. Hawaii
7. Maine
8. Michigan
9. Montana
10. Nevada
11. New Jersey
12. New Mexico
13. Oregon
14. Rhode Island
15. Vermont
16. Washington

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Gus

No thanks.

1. Alaska
2. Arizona
3. California
4. Colorado
5. DC
6. Hawaii
7. Maine
8. Michigan
9. Montana
10. Nevada
11. New Jersey
12. New Mexico
13. Oregon
14. Rhode Island
15. Vermont
16. Washington

i don't keep up with the stuff. is that 16 for or against? certainly it's not 50 for or against. on a county by county basis, i guess it's even more diverse.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
States that allow medical marijuana use/sales.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]
laugh So we're supposed to believe no cops or public officials are being paid off? It's been a matter of public record for decades that the CIA has been heavily into the illegal drug trade (Why do you think the US military is guarding, instead of burning, opium fields in Afghanistan?). The people fighting the hardest to keep it illegal (cops and government officials) are the most suspect of corruption, in my opinion. Why else support something so obviously a huge failure, and so obviously destructive of American liberty?

Your stupidity and hatred for the armed forces knows no bounds. Calling you stupid, gives stupid people a bad name. Oinions are like [bleep], everybody has one and they stink, yours however is particularly fetid.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
legalize drugs and you immediately create another dependent group the government will have to be responsible for, another protected class for discrimination litigation, and another group who must be accommodated under the ADA.....and I'm sure lots of other consequences I'm not even thinking of yet.

if drugs are legal, you can't discriminate against people who fail a drug test. think about that....and its implications for....oh....say....pilots, truck drivers, surgeons....you get the idea?

I don't follow ya on this. Is an alcoholic protected under the ADA? If a person has a DUI ya either can't employ them by law or don't have to hire them by company policy...right?

At present drug screen failure is the same consequence. How would that change?

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
[Linked Image]
laugh So we're supposed to believe no cops or public officials are being paid off? It's been a matter of public record for decades that the CIA has been heavily into the illegal drug trade (Why do you think the US military is guarding, instead of burning, opium fields in Afghanistan?). The people fighting the hardest to keep it illegal (cops and government officials) are the most suspect of corruption, in my opinion. Why else support something so obviously a huge failure, and so obviously destructive of American liberty?

Your stupidity and hatred for the armed forces knows no bounds. Calling you stupid, gives stupid people a bad name. Oinions are like [bleep], everybody has one and they stink, yours however is particularly fetid.

Jorge I did see in print somewhere that before the Afgan war production there was ~10% of world production and now is ~90%. Prior or maybe during Russian invasion it was high also. What do ya know bout this?

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Your hatred for the armed forces knows no bounds.
I hate corruption, not members of the armed forces, who for the most part I admire. I also hate nobly-intentioned members of the armed forces being used for corrupt purposes with little regard for the value of their lives.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gus may be on to something, but I doubt if it what he intended.

States where medical marijuana is legal.
1. Alaska
2. Arizona
3. California
4. Colorado
5. DC
6. Hawaii
7. Maine
8. Michigan
9. Montana
10. Nevada
11. New Jersey
12. New Mexico
13. Oregon
14. Rhode Island
15. Vermont
16. Washington

States with highest average income.

1 Maryland
2 New Jersey
3 Connecticut
4 Alaska
5 Hawaii
6 Massachusetts
7 New Hampshire
8 Virginia
District of Columbia
9 California
10 Delaware
11 Washington
12 Minnesota
13 Colorado
14 Utah
15 New York
16 Rhode Island
17 Illinois
18 Nevada
19 Wyoming
20 Vermont
21 Wisconsin
22 Pennsylvania
23 Arizona
24 Oregon
25 Texas
26 Iowa
27 North Dakota
28 Kansas
29 Georgia
30 Nebraska
31 Maine
32 Indiana
33 Ohio
34 Michigan
35 Missouri
36 South Dakota
37 Idaho
38 Florida
39 North Carolina
40 New Mexico
41 Louisiana
42 South Carolina
43 Montana
44 Tennessee
45 Oklahoma
46 Alabama
47 Kentucky
48 Arkansas
49 West Virginia
50 Mississippi

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sure don't but it would not surprise me if it is higher now, but to insinuate (not you) that members of the US Armed Forces are actually "protecting" Poppy Fields I find reprehesible. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
jorge, your not really surprised that the usual conspiracy soaked subjects here would say or even think that are you ?

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Gus may be on to something, but I doubt if it what he intended.

States where medical marijuana is legal.
1. Alaska
2. Arizona
3. California
4. Colorado
5. DC
6. Hawaii
7. Maine
8. Michigan
9. Montana
10. Nevada
11. New Jersey
12. New Mexico
13. Oregon
14. Rhode Island
15. Vermont
16. Washington

States with highest average income.

1 Maryland
2 New Jersey
3 Connecticut
4 Alaska
5 Hawaii
6 Massachusetts
7 New Hampshire
8 Virginia
District of Columbia
9 California
10 Delaware
11 Washington
12 Minnesota
13 Colorado
14 Utah
15 New York
16 Rhode Island
17 Illinois
18 Nevada
19 Wyoming
20 Vermont
21 Wisconsin
22 Pennsylvania
23 Arizona
24 Oregon
25 Texas
26 Iowa
27 North Dakota
28 Kansas
29 Georgia
30 Nebraska
31 Maine
32 Indiana
33 Ohio
34 Michigan
35 Missouri
36 South Dakota
37 Idaho
38 Florida
39 North Carolina
40 New Mexico
41 Louisiana
42 South Carolina
43 Montana
44 Tennessee
45 Oklahoma
46 Alabama
47 Kentucky
48 Arkansas
49 West Virginia
50 Mississippi

i'll have to leave it to the statisticians and other analysts to state what all of this stuff means.

but, it looks like, at a quick glance that the most "affluent" states are most engaged in allowing pot for medicine. ??? i don't really know, for sure.

my thoughts were that local small farmers, engaging in both organic and chemical production of saleable marijuana would help local economies. meanwhile, less expensive LE would be needed, since it was no longer a war going on, but a process to enable local, legal, pot production.

in context, if the Federal budgets must be reduced, then this changeover offers a conversion from cost to positive revenue for local communities who are struggling through these hard economic times.

there's likely plenty of crime for LE to be involved with beyond the drug issues. noone should ever feel threatened by a potential lack of work scenario. LE will be needed until the end of times, no doubt. wink

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The "war on drugs" - is as misguided as any war in history - and a bigger failure than any of them.

Will we ever learn? Anyone who's ever studied the history of the prohibition - knows how futile that way of thinking is - at least when it comes to prohibiting people from doing what they want to do.

To start, I think we need to immediately totally legalize cannabis. If anyone wants to - they should be able to grow what ever amount they want to. Every smoker can have his plants. The bottom will fall out of the market - organized crime will loose their biggest source of revenue, and soon afterwards - it will cease to be profitable to grow. It's often the cannabis trade that finances the harder stuff. It gets traded for harder stuff.

With the hard drugs - and this is radical - I think we should stop trying to treat use as a crime - and start treating it's use as a societal problem.

The great majority of hard-drug users are the poorest and most vulnerable and desperate members of society. They need help - not prison time.

In some countries (like Norway) they can go to a medical center - and get their drug - for free. There, professionals, will help them, guide them, monitor them and council them. The only place they can get their free drugs - is to attend the sessions designed to help them get their lives together.

You might still end up with a junkie - but now you have a junkie living within society - instead of having a junkie that needs to expose themselves and others to HIV/AIDS, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Hepatitis etc. They won't have to prostitute themselves, they won't have to steal hundreds of dollars per day to support their habit and they won't have do do anything illegal to exist. But - at least they'd have hope.

I know this type of thinking doesn't sit well with some conservatives. It's easier to say "kill 'em all" which will never happen anyways, and when the time comes that it's your relative or friend that they're talking about killing - then your views will change - and they change damn fast.

According to most studies - the severity of the sentence - is unrelated to the law's effectiveness in diminishing drug use. Virtually every study on the drug trade shows that. Countries with mandatory death sentences - have as much addiction problems as counties with lax laws.

The only countries that seem to actually be reducing hard drug use - are the ones that treat addiction as an illness, and as a societal problem. The societies with the most people locked up in prisons - are the same societies that presently have the biggest drug problems.

In Vancouver, for example, they now have "shooting galleries" where the heroin addicts can do their drugs. While they are there, they get counseling, guidance and medical care.

But, because they still have to prostitute themselves - or steal - to buy those same drugs - the programs today in Canada aren't as efficient as they could be. But - even as they are designed - it's a start in the right direction. And - interestingly enough - even the beat cops on the downtown east side, see those sites as part of the solution.

Our societies have just about perfected what doesn't work.

It's time we tried some radical new ideas - and tried to find what does work.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,517
Posts18,472,450
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.