Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I had occassion today to handle and inspect the new Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle!
It came into my local pawn/sport shop and I got to be the first "handler" as it came out of the box!
At first I could not figure out what it was - it had a BIG hangdown magazine and a picatinny type rail on the barrel above the chamber - then I noticed a flash suppressor thingy and military/Mini 14 like open sights!
I was impressed though with the fit, feel and finish as I tried to figure out what a person could do with this kind of a Rifle.
The Rifle is in 308 Winchester caliber with a 10 round magazine and has a handsome laminated stock with an ample recoil pad.
The barrel has 16.5" of rifling if I figured it right?
The price tag had not been afixed to the Rifle as yet so I am not sure what it will cost.
The length of pull is adjustable via adding and removing spacers.
I did not see any rings to go on the rail but there may have been some in the shipping box?
I kind of grew to like the looks of the Rifle after a while and it certainly was an eye catcher as everyone that came into the shop saw it and said "what is that" and then they said things like "thats kind of cool"!
I have enclosed a link to the Ruger site where this Rifle is featured.
I had NOT heard anything about its impending arrival on the scene and apparently Ruger had stocks of these Rifles and planned to have their delivery timed for after the Shot Show?

Link: http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

Good for Ruger trying something new!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been at least two threads about this rifle recently.

The usual split of opinion on it but I'd say the majority here found the rifle to be a silly exercise and and answer to a question not asked.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Been at least two threads about this rifle recently.

The usual split of opinion on it but I'd say the majority here found the rifle to be a silly exercise and and answer to a question not asked.

I saw a thread on another perhaps more "Tactical" forum and most of the guys there seemed to think it was the neatest new thing in a while and couldn't wait to yank out their credit cards.

It was entertaining to compare the differences between the forums and the people in each.

For me? I already have my Scouts............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nasaqam, DJ good observations, I would definitely be in the "why" camp but to each his/her own. I always sort of thought the concept for a short light nice handling carbine had been answered over a hundred years ago with the 94 & 336.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well to each his own but I think someone was doodling on a napkin.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I got to handle one scoped and one bare GSS at the SHOT Show. Nice handling rifle but the major concern of all the posts I have seen and those expressed at the show was the feeding system chosen by Ruger.

Instead of going with a staggered magazine like the M14 style, Ruger decided for only a bottom feed system using a very expensive Accuracy International single stack. This prohibits topping off the gun through the receiver or the use of stripper clips to charge the magazine while still in the gun. Rugers reason was that there was quality control issues with too many of the M14/M1A magazines on the market that could cause feeding problems with an otherwise reliable feeder.

There is also a 5 round magazine available but it also sticks down below the bottom of the receiver making it impossible to carry the gun with ones hand around the receiver. I am just wondering if the bottom metal from a standard MKII could be fitted for those who don't feel the need of a 5-10 shot magazine fed rifle.

For now my money will stay in my pocket as I have a .308 and .358 Frontier....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
RJM: Speaking of money the price tag was affixed to the Rifle today and it read $760.00!
Thats a lot of moola.
Again you have to give the folks at Ruger credit for offering/producing a Rifle that might only have a limited number of interested customers.
We'll see how long this one sits on the shelf?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed, Ruger deserves kudos for daring to be different.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Where's the bayonet lug?

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
B
B
I must admit I have a penchant for detachable box magazine rifles, probably highly influenced by my time taking the Queens shilling during my service in the green machine.
I remember one hunt back in the day when I was carrying a beautiful, beautiful Mark V Weatherby in 30.06 and we ran into a BIG mob of pigs - about 40 odd, 5 shots are gone in an instant and reloading one at a time under the scope seemed VERY slow especially when there are lots of pigs wizzing past you. I seriously wanted a rifle with more ammo on board and a pocket full of quick change magazines. Had the same situation many a time with big mobs of goats. I note with interest that box magazine rifles are not regarded highly on this forum, but they do have their place. I would suspect that a 16.5 inch barrel in 30 cal would bellow a bit.

Bravo 27

A Friend DOWN UNDER

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Main thing I don't care for, is the 16.5" barrel. I would have gone at least 18.5,if not 20". Don't like loud guns.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (10gaugemag, 338rcm, 160user, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 985 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,456
Posts18,508,012
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.