Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 20 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 19 20
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you askin?
laugh

I take back what I said above about no gain. There was one thing gained there for a while. The war on drugs gained votes for certain politicians. I can't help but notice in recent years there isn't much talk from campaigning politicians about it. For a while it was among the top priority of platforms. Kinda on the back burner now.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even Kalifornians shot down legalizing grass.....

Nobody important, or with any common sense, wants drugs legalized. And that statement isn't meant to suggest that common sense, or importance is to be associated with Kalifornians. We all know that ain't happening. GRIN

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOL.

I think it's going to have to happen, though, regardless of how many in favor or against. Finances just aren't there for it anymore (actually never were...). It's like a lot of other things in this country, they're going to have to be cut whether people like it or not. Broke is broke.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ all in the negative column...

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Long post a few pages back.

Despite the advertisement for the wonders and greatness of socialized medicine that was woven into the post, I agree.

Originally Posted by Cole Younger
Numerous posts along the way.

People who want a "war" on drugs should pay for it. Pull all public funding for every aspect of the foul thing, enforcement efforts, court and lawyer costs, incarceration costs, everything. Cut the public funding 100% and see how far they get on donations. The "war" would be over in 2 weeks.

Count up the billions and billions spent, then add the billions and billions leaving the country only to support 3rd world drug lords and corrupt government officials of their countries, and we'd be absolutely amazed at the funding available to fix roads and other needed services.

The drug war is NOT a needed "service". It's a sign of insanity if you ask me. It don't add up no matter how you look at it. I'd bet a dollar to a day old donut every increase in funding for the "war" is paralleled by an indentical increase in profits for the black marketeers.

It's time to end the bogus war on drugs. If people want to fight crime the first thing they need do is define the word. It was not a crime before the legalities passed and it is not one now. Your just spinning your wheels. It's an unaffordable and unsustainable waste of money and manpower. And there's no excuse for it. America needs productivity now more than ever. All government positions that don't actually produce, need axed. Producing the abysmally poor results the drug war has doesn't qualify as production. Nothing useful has ever or will ever come of it. 100% waste and Zero gain.

Yep, we need to stop calling bad personal choices a crime. Taking these drugs is no more a crime than eating trans-fats, smoking, or frequenting tanning salons. It was only originally labeled a crime because those who stood to profit from it being a crime spread the propaganda that black men would get high on pot and chase white women. Got enough white men sufficiently angry with that idea to support it being labeled a crime. Similar explanation for the first gun control laws.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crime =
1. Damage someone's property.
2. Injure someone's person.
3. Deprive someone of their rights.

That is all.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is fighting crime really fighting a crime?
Or just assuming a power over another? A power that is not even yours but is issued by what you perceive as a higher power backing you.

Perhaps it's all just a head game.
Perhaps it fits squarely in the definition of insanity...

Last edited by Archerhunter; 01/28/11.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Crime =
1. Damage someone's property.
2. Injure someone's person.
3. Deprive someone of their rights.

That is all.
Precisely.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think people should step back and look at the bigger picture. If during the carrying out of a duty was one of the three committed? Was property not belonging to you taken? It doesn't matter if the government replaces the word stolen with the euphemism recovered. You cannot recover what was never yours. It doesn't matter if the government assigned you the duty, you're the one doing the deed. You can't say "I was ordered", that's not an acceptable excuse. We are responsible for our actions, period. When standing under the spotlight answering for our deeds we will stand alone, each and every one of us. "The Government" won't be there backing you. Your enablers won't be there backing you.

There is no "I was ordered" or "I was under contract". These things do not exist. Everyone makes his own decisions. Always has and always will. We are free moral agents in all situations. Always. There is no escaping it.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I think people should step back and look at the bigger picture. If during the carrying out of a duty was one of the three committed? Was property not belonging to you taken? It doesn't matter if the government replaces the word stolen with the euphemism recovered. You cannot recover what was never yours. It doesn't matter if the government assigned you the duty, you're the one doing the deed. You can't say "I was ordered", that's not an acceptable excuse. We are responsible for our actions, period. When standing under the spotlight answering for our deeds we will stand alone, each and every one of us. "The Government" won't be there backing you. Your enablers won't be there backing you.

There is no "I was ordered" or "I was under contract". These things do not exist. Everyone makes his own decisions. Always has and always will. We are free moral agents in all situations. Always. There is no escaping it.

Well said.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's reason enough for me to never try and fight a "war on drugs". That I'm forced to help finance it grieves me. For me it's a morality issue. And it's devoid of any... empty set... nada... bankrupt... etc.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm gonna play devil's advocate to legalizing drugs for a minute.

What put Al Capone in jail? Taxes. It wasn't really what he was guilty of - as far as violence on society - but it put him in Alcatraz till he died.

How many violent gang members are arrested on drug charges just because they can't be convicted on their real crimes against society?

Do you want to take away a viable convictable offense/tool in stopping crime?

Start thinking about it. These are only a couple of examples off the top of my head. I can think of a whole bunch more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People packing heat would go a long ways towards thwarting violent crime, from gangsta types or whomever.

Maybe if seeking drug charges was out of the way dectectives could focus more effort and resources on the actual crimes.

I dunno.

???

Point taken. It is a factor.
I'll take your advice and think about it.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure you want to go down that road?

I want to put you in jail but you're not doing anything that's currently illegal enough to do so. I know, I'll make up a new crime.

Hypothetical situation: I'm a voter but I hate guns and the people who own them. Guns are a scourge on society. You own a gun but I can't get rid of you for society's sake and I really am thinking of society's sake here. I know, let's tie gun ownership with something else that isn't very serious right now.

Have a gun in your possession when you're caught going 5 mph over the speed limit? Automatic 10 year sentence.

I can think of other ways to just make up new crimes which I can use to throw your ass in jail if you want me to.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's one of thing I thought about last night.

A guy that works smoking a joint with his friends in his home? There's no real crime there.

A group of herion addicts in a abandoned building that's a shooting gallery? None of em' work and they all rely on stealing to support their drug habit. What about this one?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And the moral of the story is: Government SUCKS!

Every time you pass a new law, all you do is give government a chance to f*ck you and me over just a little bit more.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

I want to put you in jail but you're not doing anything that's currently illegal enough to do so. I know, I'll make up a new crime.

Have a gun in your possession when you're caught going 5 mph over the speed limit? Automatic 10 year sentence.

I can think of other ways to throw your ass in jail if you want me to.
The very definition of a police state, i.e., the police can put you in jail if they want to, no exceptions. Under the rule of law, which is the opposite of a police state, the laws are designed such that anyone can choose to remain completely within the law at all times, thus (short of fraud on the part of a cop or other government official, which itself will, as a matter of law, be investigated, prosecuted, and severely punished) immune from the threat of arrest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stan V
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by Stan V

Abortion, kids with two mommies and/or daddies, PCing us to death and now some want to finish the country with legalizing drugs.

Right. Do any of you 'free thinkers' promoting legalization have kids?

Let's keep drugs where they belong, in the gutter.

2 daughters.......figured early on education trumped any laws on the books.....ive got no problem with pot and i can promice you my daughter doesnt smoke it cause she gets piss tested randomly as a athlete at the school...she decided on her own sports would be more fun than getting stoned.....

really find it funny how many seem to think drugs are a new problem, and more importantly that alcohol and highly addictive nicotine aint or are some how acceptable just because even though they have a huge drain on our society and health care costs too......got no problem with someone preaching the dangers of drugs and how they should all be abolished so long as they are talking their cigar and beer aswell otherwise your a hell of a hypocrite......

Oh boy. Knowing what alcohol does to millions in America and yet you somehow think legalizing several more drugs to reduce crime and the associated expense (is that really your argument?) will better the country. Some of us can have a drink or two and not behave in an uncivilized manner. I don't believe drug users know much about moderation....the intent is to get F'd up, isn't it?

how many ppl go out on Friday night intent on getting [bleep] up....

i said i have no problem with someone screaming for drug prohibition so long as they include all recreational drugs....on the list of chit harmful to the body pot rates way lower than either alcohol or tobacco, whole lot of psychedelics aswell....its kinda like the whole gun control debate alot of gun owners are willing to look the other way so long as it aint their guns being taken....

federal government rates cocaine and methamphetamine as having useful medicinal qualities but they say pot and psilocybin doesnt though there are thousands of peer reviewed medical studies that say otherwise.....the US lists heroin as no medicinal value but a number of other first world nations say it does.....if you actually pull your head out of your arse and put some study into this chit you will find that how the US gov't lists drugs as useful or not has no basis on fact kinda like gun control....

now i aint saying some of the chit isnt dangerous as [bleep] if abused but so is alcohol.....focus on those trying to [bleep] with minors and leave adults alone unless they break a real [bleep] law like trying to steal chit or driving impaired....do you really think if you take away the criminal possession laws that all the sudden your friends with a brain on their heads are gonna suddenly say "Hey lets give meth a try!" [bleep] no just like most ppl with a head on their shoulders dont get chit faced drunk every night.....educate ppl on the dangers, kinda like gun safety and let cops deal with real crime....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People packing heat would go a long ways towards thwarting violent crime, from gangsta types or whomever.

Maybe if seeking drug charges was out of the way dectectives could focus more effort and resources on the actual crimes.

I dunno.

???

Point taken. It is a factor.
I'll take your advice and think about it.

I thought of a couple things.
Means to an end.
Short cut.
Sorta kinda like cheating. Cheaters never win.
It's kind of underhanded. Successful, but...

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Hypothetical situation: I'm a voter but I hate guns and the people who own them. Guns are a scourge on society. You own a gun but I can't get rid of you for society's sake and I really am thinking of society's sake here. I know, let's tie gun ownership with something else that isn't very serious right now.

I can think of other ways to just make up new crimes which I can use to throw your ass in jail if you want me to.

I appreciate what you're saying but we're talking about drugs not guns. Here's another thing. It's about current laws not hypothetical changes in law.

Obviously this is a BS "crime" and I agree with you... Have a gun in your possession when you're caught going 5 mph over the speed limit? Automatic 10 year sentence.

All I can say is ... Has there ever been anyone sent to prison for ten years for a 5 mph over the speed limit ticket? I don't think so?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
In a few hours I go to my "legal pusher"
So I can support the major drug dealers!

I say open it up for the little guys.

Just this week Columbus PD and feds busted a factory and home in the city.
Messicans arrested with 2 TONS of pot and $950,000 !

I say the cops can buy new cars and pistols now!

Just think if the country, state and county could have taxed those profits?

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Page 15 of 20 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (2500HD, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,363
Posts18,506,380
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.