Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 20 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Sure you want to go down that road?

I want to put you in jail but you're not doing anything that's currently illegal enough to do so. I know, I'll make up a new crime.

Hypothetical situation: I'm a voter but I hate guns and the people who own them. Guns are a scourge on society. You own a gun but I can't get rid of you for society's sake and I really am thinking of society's sake here. I know, let's tie gun ownership with something else that isn't very serious right now.

Have a gun in your possession when you're caught going 5 mph over the speed limit? Automatic 10 year sentence.

I can think of other ways to just make up new crimes which I can use to throw your ass in jail if you want me to.

Did lowering the BAC for DUI make motorists safer?
Is that additional 2 tenths of one percent really the defining line between safe and not safe?
Did the government get more drunk drivers off the road?

Maybe all it actually does is put more cases across the Clerk's desk. More people's names in the paper. More jobs for defending lawyers. More money flowing from private sector to public. More arrests without making more stops. More arrests without additional manpower or other additional resource costs.

More power and more control in the hands of government...

I think the answer lies right here in this post.

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
And the moral of the story is: Government SUCKS!

Every time you pass a new law, all you do is give government a chance to f*ck you and me over just a little bit more.

Last edited by Archerhunter; 01/28/11. Reason: additions

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's my biggest issue with legalizing hard drugs. Is it truely a victimless crime?

Think about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fish head
Here's my biggest issue with legalizing hard drugs. Is it truely a victimless crime?

Think about it.

is alcohol?

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Michel jackson rocks

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There's an article in today's *Alexandria (Louisiana) Town Talk* which relates an interesting fact. 1 in 26 Louisiana citizens is either in jail or on probation or parole. Got that? 1 in 26.

In other words, the State of Louisiana wastes billions of dollars putting people in and through the criminal justice system for committing victimless crimes.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Abusing alcohol isn't a victimless crime either.

That's where this whole issue starts getting complicated.

Is meth, crack or heroin worse than alcohol?

The one thing with legal alcohol is there isn't the violence asscoiated with drugs. Then you have to ask the question "If hard drugs were legalized would that stop the violence that goes along with it?"

So many difficult to answer questions? ..............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Michel jackson rocks

You're gay! laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Abusing alcohol isn't a victimless crime either.

That's where this whole issue starts getting complicated.

Is meth, crack or heroin worse than alcohol?

The one thing with legal alcohol is there isn't the violence asscoiated with drugs. Then you have to ask the question "If hard drugs were legalized would that stop the violence that goes along with it?"

So many difficult to answer questions? ..............

you'll never stop the violence.....you can get the death penalty for killing someone yet ppl still kill.....honestly doubt that legalizing even the hard drugs will change useage rates much at all, majority wont touch them legal or not just like plenty of ppl dont drink or smoke.....education has far more preventive power than legislation.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Think about it.
When there's a victim, prosecute for the act that victimizes. When no victim, no crime.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Think about it.
When there's a victim, prosecute for the act that victimizes. When no victim, no crime.

OK. Define the convictable act of druggie parent that treats their kids like schit (no violence involved - no other laws broken) and is found in possesion of "hard" drugs during a traffic stop. Would a little jail time be wake up call? A deterrent to stop abusing drugs for fear of losing their children? Remember, in this scenario drugs is the only convictable offense. Treating your kids poorly, in and of itself, is not always against the law.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Think about it.

OK. Define the convictable act of druggie parent that treats their kids like schit (no violence involved - no other laws broken) and is found in possesion of "hard" drugs during a traffic stop. Would a little jail time be wake up call? A deterrent to stop abusing drugs for fear of losing their children? Remember, in this scenario drugs is the only convictable offense. Treating your kids poorly, in and of itself, is not always against the law.

they dont do much if its alcohol.....whether thats right or wrong is a different issue....grew up in a house full of booze but wasnt physically abused......[bleep] sucked at times but not sure i would go back and change anything cause i like how i ended up even after going through that hell......had it been different not sure i would have wound up being my own boss at age 27......right or wrong it is what it is and its how i got to where i am.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm just tired of the whole idea that throwing people in jail is the best solution for everything.

Okay, you're stupid, and you made bad choices in life for whatever reason and you (currently) have little to offer society. You haven't hurt anybody, you're just a stupid loser with zero self esteem.

To make it better, we're going to throw you in with a bunch of really rotten and violent people where you will get beaten up and/or buttf*cked (that'll increase your self esteem), but we'll tax everybody else to pay for your incarceration, meals and health care.

When you get out, your lack of suitable job skills will be further hampered by a criminal record.

There - We showed your sorry ass! Now you'll become a contributing, worthwhile member of society!! So get to work!

If someone is out there killing and hurting people, or say, taking graft to distribute government jobs to their friends, or something else that DIRECTLY hurts people*, fine , remove them from society and maybe punish them.

But just because someone has made a couple of bad choices in life we throw them in jail? There has to be a better way.

* Once agin, this whole "indirectly hurts people" stuff is a greased 90 degree slope. The classic example of this is the farmer up on the witness stand and the prosecuting attorney is accusing him: "So you admit that you grew the grain that the whiskey company turned into alcohol that my client drank heavily before he went out and ran down five people in his car! You vicious criminal - lock him up!"

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Treating your kids poorly, in and of itself, is not always against the law.
When the victimization rises to a crime, prosecute. When not, don't. Different states will draw different limits in this regard, as it should be. There should be a very strong legal presumption that such issues fall within the purview of a private family matter, and there should be a very high standard required to overcome this presumption, such as overt and proven risk of actual physical injury or death. Sounds harsh, but anything less places the family in a subordinate position in relation to our government. Families should be presumed sacrosanct and outside of the control of the government.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"There has to be a better way."

No disagreements on that one. With all my agruments against legalizing hard drugs I don't agree in full with the current philosphy of imprisoning "users".

That part ain't working. Like you said, "There has to be a better way."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I done for now. I'm going out to the prairie for a little target practice with the 30-06 and my new to me Winchester model 69 .22.

No drugs will be involved in my endevour. grin

I'm not going to break the speed limit getting there either. smile

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If the banning of potentially harmful substances works - then the people who believe that - should be drawing up new laws and rules and penalties to those who sell junk food. Perhaps we should round up all the obese people for the harm they are doing to themselves? And what about people who sell junk food to children?

Obesity has a larger cost to society, and kills more people, than all the illegal drugs combined.

Knowing that - how do those of you who support the prohibition of drugs, feel about that idea?

Doesn't that analogy clear things up for you?

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, ordering a No 1 at Burger King is the same as using illegal drugs?

All American

All the time
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Obesity is way more dangerous than pot.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BCBrian

But, pot leads to Burger King No 1.....

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stan V
Originally Posted by BCBrian

But, pot leads to Burger King No 1.....

ice cream is better, cures the munchies and cotton mouth whistle

Page 16 of 20 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,416
Posts18,507,217
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.