Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 22 23
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Hi all, new to the fire! I was just wondering what yall think about the savage model 11 long range hunter. I am considering buying it in 6.5 creedmoor for smacking distant steel and hunting the wheat fields. I would love to see some pics.

A hunter gets his deer. A good hunter can make long shots. A great hunter likes it up close and personal!
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Welcome to the Fire. A few on the boards went to the SHOT show, but one person in particular was Kentucky_Windage. He may have had a chance to handle the LRH. I love the fact that Savage uses a fast twist rate on their 6.5 offerings.

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
me too the 140 grain load should be awesome

A hunter gets his deer. A good hunter can make long shots. A great hunter likes it up close and personal!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why Salvage? Why Creedmor?.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Well I have a certain fondness for savage rifles and I like the ballistic qualities of a 6.5 caliber bullet.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Curious as to how Salvage "fondness" is derived?

6.5 based chamberings abound and the Creedmor "advantages" were never clear.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Well the savage rifles I have are very solid accurate guns. the creedmoor is cheaper to shoot than the 260. You really must dislike savage, but i will play along if it makes you happy. Gotta vent somehow right?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot a little of everything and a lot of most things. I've nothing to vent about,but am often amused at the choices of others and their "reasoning" behind same.

A 6.5BR cheaper yet.............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No need to justify your choices to anyone. I have seen a lot of good shooting Savages, and the 6.5 has been a favourite of mine since the 60's. I am fond of the 6.5x55 but if you are looking for truly long range effect, look into the 6.5x284.

Sometimes personal history, or the feel of the rifle, or even first buck shot with prints an indelable preference. Big Stick's question re fondness for a particular make would fuel a thread in itself.

Welcome to the fire, and keep us posted as to how it goes and how it shoots.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've more rounds sent downrange ala Salvage,than any 10 other gents I know combined................

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by HaYen
Welcome to the Fire. A few on the boards went to the SHOT show, but one person in particular was Kentucky_Windage. He may have had a chance to handle the LRH. I love the fact that Savage uses a fast twist rate on their 6.5 offerings.

HaYen

I didn't shoot the long range rifle. Was too busy playing with their lightweight hunter and guns from other manufacturers. The long range hunter's appearance leans too far to the tactical side for my taste. I don't shy away from stainless/synthetic so long as it still looks like a hunting rifle. The LRH, with its adjustable comb, just isn't my cup of tea.

I was intrigued with the lightweight hunter, though. I may get one in 6.5 Creedmoor... just because. Whether you're a Savage fan or not, or like the stock or not, I suspect they're going to sell well because of their weight, price point and Savage's reputation for out-of-the-box accuracy.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Well the BR isn't one of my options as I would prefer the creedmoor or the 260. Wow what a warm welcome I have received. I am not going to rudely criticize someone's choice of firearms it's childish and unnecessary. I don't know what it is with people that makes them think they are so superior to others except for maybe the fact that their arrogance is derived from some inadequacies of their own.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was/is very warm,but apparently you bruise easily and ain't all that sure about what you are saying.

First it was the Creedmor is "cheaper to shoot".

Do tell.................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do you reload?.................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I handled and looked one over at Cabelas in 6.5X284 Norma. I liked everything about it once I realized the rough matte finish of the barrel and action were in tune with its purpose. It truly looks like a long range hunter with Karsten adjustable stock and what looked to me like a 26" #3 contour barrel.They aren't easy to find, Cheaper than dirt has them for $768. plus S&H.
Probably a < 1" shooter but hard on throats.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Yes I reload, but I am a college student and I work and I have a family. So my time is precious. Sometimes I want to buy factory ammo to save some time. Creedmoor ammo is around $20 a box vs $30 for the 260. I prefer to try a rifle out with factory ammo and if it shows potential I invest in reloading equipment.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
800 clams is enough funds for a skookum build,twisted/throated per whim.

Given ringing steel and spilling blood as focal points............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by snakeman
Yes I reload, but I am a college student and I work and I have a family. So my time is precious. Sometimes I want to buy factory ammo to save some time. Creedmoor ammo is around $20 a box vs $30 for the 260. I prefer to try a rifle out with factory ammo and if it shows potential I invest in reloading equipment.

Intellesting price curve,on the fodder.

I never could weigh a rifle's potential fairly,with Factory fodder................

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Wow you are just the Guru aren't you? Well tell me then guru what is your advice? If you see me fit to be enlightened by it.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
BTW thanks tack. I appreciate the info. as it pertains to the gun not me individually.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,217
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.