Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
It seems that many new pistol designs of late (anything from Ruger) have this despicable feature, too many lawyers in the design room? or are pistol makers building in magazine disconnects because that's what the shooting public wants? personally I hate this feature and will never own a self defense pistol or any pistol for that matter that is disabled so easily, but maybe I'm the oddball here and that's what most shooters want..........Thoughts?..........Hillbilly.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I agree, I don't like them either. Considering the number of retards buying stuff these days, though, I can see why gunmakers build them into their new guns.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
It has nothing to do with lawyers and everything to do with police departments.

The magazine disconnect saves lives as it allows an officer to disable the gun by dropping the magazine if, during a struggle, the officer begins to lose his gun. Massad Ayoob has documented a number of instances where this has happened and has an article in the most recent American Handgunner regarding it.

I don't mind the feature, and would buy a gun with it. I don't see how it affects practical use anyway because I would rather spend my time practicing magazine changes than wringing my hands about whether I can fire the last round with an empty mag at my feet.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Don't care for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have guns with it, I have guns without it. Frankly, I don't think it matters so I don't even think about it.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
not for me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never even thought about it one way or the other. If I like the pistol for how it feels, operates, and shoots then to me it's a moot point.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I won't have 'em on anything that I'm going to be toting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would not carry a gun with the "feature". I had some in the past that would not even allow you to retract the slide with the magazine out. That is the worst of all worlds-you can't check clear without a magazine in the gun, which could feed it again.

I don't buy the concept that it is a lifesaver so people can drop the magazine before losing a gun. The button is best depressed by someone with a correct grip on the gun. That person can simply pull the trigger in a gun grab death duel. Someone who has lost the gun would best concentrate on taking the gun back, pulling a backup or running rather than trying to hit a tiny button on one side of the gun.Besides, I've also seen people with magazines not properly seated, who would have had zero chance of winning a gunfight with a magazine disconnect. I don't doubt that Ayoob has found people who did it, but that doesn't mean it's the best way to deal with a retention issue.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC the idea was to stop negligent discharges, when people foolishly dropped the magazine, and then didn't bother or know to clear the chamber, too.

I also dislike them.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Someone wrote that police departments love it, 75% or more of the police departments/agencies I know use Glock pistols in various models and none of these pistols have magazine disconnects that I'm aware of,so this statement can't be right..............Hillbilly.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
It seems that many new pistol designs of late (anything from Ruger) have this despicable feature, too many lawyers in the design room? or are pistol makers building in magazine disconnects because that's what the shooting public wants? personally I hate this feature and will never own a self defense pistol or any pistol for that matter that is disabled so easily, but maybe I'm the oddball here and that's what most shooters want..........Thoughts?..........Hillbilly.

I do not own a pistol with a magazine disconect feature, nor do I want one

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe it's a California, Mass, Maryland compliance requirement. Maybe not but that was my assumption when they started putting them in everything but the LCP which is not Mass compliant at least. I had a Browning Hi-Power that had one and it was a non-issue to me. Have never owned another gun with it but just simply because the guns I like don't happen to have them.

The feature would not stop me if I liked the gun. Besides I hear the Ruger ones are at least easy to remove.

Sean

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It doesn't bother me. I'm okay with or without.

Now, S&W Key locks, Ruger MkIII loaded chamber indicators, etc..... A STRONG dislike of those.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, except in the minds of a bunch of dumb a$$e$.

Last edited by Dotman; 01/29/11.

The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Magazine safeties are on my list of features to avoid - item #837. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe that it's mandatory here in the PRK.

That being said, even before that requirement, many guns had this feature designed in, particulary target pistols. I suppose there are merits on both sides of the argument.

I personally don't care much either way.

Last edited by mrmarklin; 01/29/11.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If GOD had wanted pistols to have a magazine disconnect.....he'd have told John Browning to put one in the 1911!!!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by TexasRick
If GOD had wanted pistols to have a magazine disconnect.....he'd have told John Browning to put one in the 1911!!!
Funny how there's one on the Browning Hi-Power grin

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Originally Posted by TexasRick
Funny how there's one on the Browning Hi-Power grin

The Hi-Power was designed for the French and they required the mag safety. Their combat manual of arms was to remove the magazine and hand the pistol to a German - no sense in anyone getting hurt.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 1minute, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,191
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.