Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Allright you talkers where are your results? This is real hard to do takes maybe 3 minutes with a vice and a smooth flat file or mill bastard. Magnum Man

GB1

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Allright you talkers where are your results? This is real hard to do takes maybe 3 minutes with a vice and a smooth flat file or mill bastard. Magnum Man

I am absolutely astonished!

Who thought that "bastard" would make it past the board's "bad word autocensor"?

pussy! <-- just testing, still can't use that one! wink

John

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Here's my result with the 3090.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Aletheuo

Here's my result with the 3090.
[Linked Image]

Pretty discouraging because it doesn't look like the core is bonded to the jacket very well. Things that make you go hmmmmmm.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It never was a bonded bullet. The interbond is. The Interlock was designed as a mechanical lock.

Last edited by Aletheuo; 01/30/11. Reason: brain fart
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Aletheuo
It never was a bonded bullet. The interbond is. The Interlock was designed as a mechanical lock.

Good to know. Never had a problem with the older style interlock performing on game.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Pretty discouraging because it doesn't look like the core is bonded to the jacket very well. Things that make you go hmmmmmm.....

Those bullets are Interlocks.

They are not a "bonded bullet", just a regular cup and core.

Perhaps you are confusing those with Interbonds???

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep my mistake, sorry blush

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
B,

Your comment does bring up a good point I have often thought of.

Given the kind of confusing names _ Interlock/Interbond- wonder how many folks get the two mixed up and expect bonded bullet performance from the Interlocks.

Last edited by jim62; 01/30/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jim62
B,

Your comment does bring up a good point I have often thought of.

Given the kind of confusing names _ Interlock/Interbond- wonder how many folks get the two mixed up and expect bonded bullet performance from the Interlocks.

Jim, when I expect bonded performance out of a bullet I opt for the good ol trophy bonded bear claw (old style). Your right though, I thought the partition was a bonded bullet too becasue it is a premium controlled expansion bullet but it isn't. However, I think the interlock is an ideal and excellent deer bullet though.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recovered two Interlocks from a black bear I shot in 2009 with bullets I bought that year. One was from a raking shot. The bullet was stuck in the spine. The core and jacket were together until I pulled the bullet out at which point they separated. The other was just a jacket I bit into while eating a roast, kind of like bird shot in a bird. I don't know where the core went. Would bullets made in 2009 be old or new?

The bullets were 195 gr. .323" bullets shot at 2520 fps and hit 50 yards away.

Last edited by Youper; 01/30/11. Reason: add bullet info

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
I dunno when or even IF any change was made in the 8mm Interlocks. So far I have only seen the change in .30 180's, and am not assuming the change was made throughout the line.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
With the ease of communication these days, the bullet companies can easily post an "update" on their websites. They all have them. Is that asking too much? As bullet performance is the most important element of the hunt, why should we settle for "bullet roulette"? Seems to me it would be good public relations to let the customer know.

Are we going to be relegated to sectioning bullets before we hand load for the next hunt?

Last edited by bigwhoop; 01/30/11.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I dunno when or even IF any change was made in the 8mm Interlocks. So far I have only seen the change in .30 180's, and am not assuming the change was made throughout the line.

Would this not be a change that will eventually be spread across the entire Hornady line? It would seem to be strange if they only applied the change in a few bullets. Perhaps as the dies wear and are replaced, Hornady's plans are to apply the new design across-the-board.

Question: How receptive is Hornady to customer feedback? If reports indicate breakup of the new design and the older design holds together, what are the chances they might re-consider the new design?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doesn't seem like it would be very difficult for them to go back to the previous design, does it? That is unless they decided the metallurgy (proportions of the constituent metals) for the jacket and the core for the old design was getting too expensive for their price point, and the new design was deemed needed for their new metallurgy.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have only seen the change in .30 180's

As luck would have it I just bought some of that very bullet on line Sunday. I would not want a field problem, thanks for posting JB.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
For what it is worth: All the old reliable companies are being taken over by younger people who did not have to sweat it out, they just roll with the name and reputation.

This goes for Hornady, Hodgdon, Ruger, Remington, Barnes. There have been posts of all them going down in quality/service. You can find the same in autos, trucks, appliances, you name it.

I will have to think over which bullets I want to use now. I always liked the interlock being as I am a "poor" man.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I want to see a new bullet cut open like the one a previous guy posted.

I do not believe until.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hornady did not respond to my email, anyone had a response from Hornady?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's amazing how we can hear about one bullet coming apart and from that know the age of the company executives.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

410 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,890 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,125
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.