-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The 'original' HL Leonard Rod Company made two commemorative rod series. The 1st was the 'Century Rod' celebrating 100 years in Central Valley, NY. Supposedly an edition of 50 were planned, but only about 38 were actually produced. The 2nd was the 'Western Special' with a production of only 5.
I have serial # 1 of each edition. The rods have never been joined and are pristine condition with documentation.
These are serious Leonard collectables, probably THE most collectable.
Thoughts?
V

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Leonard fly rods can highly collectible but it mostly depends upon the "era" of the rod, the condition, and the model.

Usually Leonard collectors/users divide the eras as pre-fire and post fire. Which is when the Leonard factory was destroyed by fire and was rebuilt. Pre-fire rods (which you can spot because they have no serial numbers or other lettering on the shaft) are highly collectible. This would go back to about the 1920's or so and up to the 1960's when the fire took place. The next thing to look at is condition, and rod model (size, line weight, taper, multi pieces, etc.).

So a mint, Leonard pre-fire Model 50DF (a very popular vintage bamboo fly rod) which is an 8' 3 piece 5wt (with "dry fly" action) would sell for about $2,000.00, give or take a few hundred. An a completely original rod, a little more, a "restored" rod, maybe a little less.

Post fire rods, with the exception of the Maxwell era rods, are not as highly collectible, although as the pre-fire rods become scarce, the post fire rods are coming up in the world. The Maxwell rods were some of the finest bamboo fly rods ever made. Tom Maxwell was one-half of the Thomas & Thomas rod company, who still produce some of the finest bamboo rods today. The Maxwell era rods, sell for $3000.00, give or take a few hundred.

Based on your "100 years" commemorative, I guess that would put your rods in about the 1980's or 90's. I don't think Leonard was around much before the 1890's. Anyway, to make sure we're on the same page, these are split-bamboo rods? Leonard made a lot of graphite when graphite started to come out. If they're Leonard graphites, they are still collectible, but not at all to the extent of the bamboo. Maybe a few hundred or so.

I would like to see pics if you have them, that would clear things up pretty fast.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The 'Centennial' rod was built in 1981 to commemorate Leonard's 100 years in Central Valley, NY. The rod was built as per their most popular model in 1881.
8' 3 piece, straw colored cane, candy apple red full intermediates, stripper is a large snake guide, grip is rattan, reel seat slide band butternut and cased in a wooden presentation box with an aluminum tube. Box is plywood stained walnut. And also has a card signed by all employees at the time (8).

I guess I should been clearer in my post.
I am very familiar with the pre-fire, Maxwell era etc. etc. I was Leonard's largest dealer in their last 2/3 years of business before the IRS stepped in. In their last year,I probably sold a couple hundred of the 'Golden Shadow' graphites. When the IRS shut their doors, we had 73 of the cane rods in stock.

Don't let my profile fool you. I now live in SD, but the shop was
V in Wisconsin.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That sounds like a really pretty rod. I love full intermediates and rattan grips. How does the 8' rod cast? They must have used a modern taper, but made the rod look like 1880's style. How far did they take it, did they use pin ferrules?

I've seen a few of the amazing commemoratives done by T&T over the years. I wasn't too sure from your OP, are you interested in getting a price on it? If that's what you're looking for, you could contract Carmine Lisella, you've probably heard of him. He's one of the biggest cane rod dealers in the NE. I'd be happy to PM his number to you. I'd still like to see a picture.

Last edited by TomSmith; 01/31/11.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry, but I seem to be photo challenged.
I can't say how it casts since the sections have never joined. Forgot to mention - has metal ferrule plugs, ferrules do not appear pinned.
The 'Western Special' was built in 1984 and is of a modern configuration. 8 1/2' 3 pc 6 wt. Straw colored cane with invisible wraps tipped in brown, swelled butt, metal ferrule plugs, stripper is reddish inlay butt guide, uplock aluminum seat w/ maple spacer. Comes w/ aluminum tube and cloth sack to cover tube. Rod is unjoined with shrink-wrap on grip.
Both rods have extra tip (normal).
V

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Are you selling them?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Probably.
Don Schroeder (Schroeder Rods in Janesville, Wi) gave me an estimate that kinda shook me to the core.
Rods have documentation from Leonard (personal cards, invoices etc) to back up authenticity.
V

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think my son took photos of the rods a couple of years ago. I'll contact him for posting.
V

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What was the estimate?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Dad,

I just registered on this forum. I checked, and I took several photos back in October of 2007. I need to host them so that they can be posted to this thread. Stay tuned...

IC B3

More, because I couldn't include them all to a single post:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://lundestudio.com/HLLeonard/hl-leonard-18.jpg[/img]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,894
Posts18,479,213
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.