Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not sure it was blind luck or not, but being the February recipe allows me to give you a great Valentine's Day dish. I've made this several times, and it's been well-received. The original recipe I used says it serves 4, but you'd better augment with veggies, salad & bread if you're going to feed that many (it only calls for a 24 oz. roast); it's better for 3 people and there will be leftovers for 2 people. Now, I've made for 4 people, but there are no leftovers.

You prepare a flour & kosher salt crust which becomes its own oven in which you'll bake the tenderloin. It continues to cook after you've removed from the oven. You crack open the crust in front of your guests, remove the fragrant roast and carve tableside. Always a crowd-pleaser. I've always done with beef, but you could probably use the tenderloin from certain types of game (i.e., for those animals where it's safe to cook on the rarer side).

In a large bowl, mix 2 1/2 cups AP flour, 1 1/2 cups kosher salt, 2T black pepper and 1/4 cup assorted fresh herbs. (I like Italian parsley, thyme, oregano and rosemary. I know a lot of recipes ask for fresh herbs, and many of us say "Yeah, right. Dried is fine." If at all possible, try to use fresh. It literally makes the dish.) In another small bowl, beat 2 egg whites until foamy. Gradually pour 1/2 cup + 2T water into the flour mixture, then egg whites, and stir with a wooden spoon until it begins to clump together. Knead in bowl, adding more water by the tablespoon until a moist dough forms. (I wouldn't use more than a couple additional tablespoons of water, though, as you don't want dough goopy.) Transfer to a floured surface and knead until it smooths out, about 3-4 min. (Do not become alarmed by dough's consistency. It's not a conventional flour dough; about 40% of it is salt, so it's grainy, etc.) Form the kneaded dough into a ball, cover in plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for approximately 4 hours.

Preheat a 400 degree oven. Heat approx. 2T olive oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Brown a 1.5# center cut, trimmed tenderloin on all sides. Set aside.

Roll out dough to an approx. 13"x10" rectangle. Place beef in center of dough, and cover with another 1/4 cup of assorted fresh herbs. Wrap beef. (Again, don't get concerned or frustrated about the dough or wrapping process. Wrap as best as you can, pinching openings closed. Use excess scraps of dough to plug holes. It'll take a few minutes, but you'll quickly see that you can fully encase the tenderloin.)

Place encased beef on baking dish and roast until rare (120-125 degrees, checked at the thickest part of the roast), approx. 25-30 min. Then remove and let stand for additional 30-60 min. (30 min. seems to get you to about med-rare.) I served with creamed horseradish sauce, roasted winter veggies, salad and a mellow red table wine.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Murphy was a grunt.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bangin'.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks good!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have done salt encrusted prime rib too....juicy and very tasty...btw....salt does not impart its taste to the meat like you think it would......

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Now that looks like something I'd like to try. Exactly the way I like my beef tenderloin, too. Looks great.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
looks great, let you know after I make it.

Last edited by chris_c; 02/01/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a nice recipe. I've never done a salt crusted anything. I always see people doing it on tv with fish. I'm stoked to see it done with beef.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RATS! I was all set to make this and read the fine print about the 4 hour sit time for the dough. Guess I now know what I'm making on Saturday!

Left over spaghetti, guys! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmighty good eatin'!

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know I'm not up until July, but does my recipe need to be a main dish? Or does a great dessert count?

Thanks
Chris

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can do whatever you like. I'm thinking about doing Italian egg biscuits or the like. Something I eat almost every day.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I can't decide either. Either a salad or a dessert.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well it appears I have to get some overtime in so I can afford the tenderloin. smile
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You and me, both, brother. That and the fresh herbs. My fresh herbs are under a big pile of snow....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ok, thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I know where the tenderloin from my elk is going

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good choice! Wish I had some! I think I'll be using a Sitka blacktail.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You all have better resolve than I do. Tenderloins are never frozen in my home, but eaten fresh. I am not waiting until next fall so Friday I will be going to my favourite butcher. I think the OP said he used 24 Oz portion, so in my neck of the woods that is $30. Fresh herbs available for $4 a small bunch. I dry my own but like MissTreated, it has been four months since the ground froze and then got covered with snow.

I have never salt crusted anything so this will be a fun project. Don't let my whining discourage anyone, it sure won't me.

Randy
Not happy unless I'm bitching

Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only reason there are frozen backstraps in my freezer is because someone gifted them to us. Otherwise, they never would have lasted this long either. I do freeze them just can't spoil ourselves all at one time! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow fremont, that looks great. Have you ever done it with a larger tenderloin? I have a 5+ pounder in the freezer that I bought on sale this past Christmas. What are your thoughts on the dough for a cut that size...triple the recipe??

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by medicman
You all have better resolve than I do. Tenderloins are never frozen in my home, but eaten fresh. I am not waiting until next fall so Friday I will be going to my favourite butcher. I think the OP said he used 24 Oz portion, so in my neck of the woods that is $30. Fresh herbs available for $4 a small bunch. I dry my own but like MissTreated, it has been four months since the ground froze and then got covered with snow.

I have never salt crusted anything so this will be a fun project. Don't let my whining discourage anyone, it sure won't me.

Randy
Not happy unless I'm bitching
I get enough tags to have plenty to freeze....ration them like water in the desert and make them last till end of the summer....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just got back from elk hunting, otherwise they would be gone

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

+1

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen eye round done in salt crust on the grill. You mix the salt, herbs, and eggs and plaster the eye round. They you crank the grill all the way up and cook the roast. It's supposed to seal in the juice and make it tender. I've had it, and to date, I've never had or found a good use for an eye round.

I am going to make your recipe with a tenderloin. Then I'm going to apply it to an eye round to see if it can make one any better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fremont and 257wby, my compliments. I joined a little late and kinda cheated, I made both of your dishes today for my wifes birthday. Both of us have nothing but rave reviews for both dishes. ( I scored major points) I am going to have to step up when its my turn in July. I will post pictures shortly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image] I used the tenderloin from the cow elk I just shot in New Mexico. Fantastic recipe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image] The before picture of the tenderloin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image] The golden onion dish, looks darker in the picture than it was.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...makin' me hungry!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was great to pair these recipes together, even though I feel like I "cheated"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I cooked my tenderloin to about a medium/medium well. Wife likes it cooked more than rare, I know what to Do!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
hris c
No such thing as cheating when it comes to impressing your wife. First class all the way

Randy

Lester Roloff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

+1

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I try very hard, love her dearly. Lets me do lots of fishing and hunting.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Plan is in place Fremont.
I am picking up the tenderloin and some gruyere with fresh herbs.
Will make the crusted tenderloin and the onion pie with the recommended cheese for the big V day dinner Monday night.
Top off the tenderloin with this and we should be good to go!
Bernaise sauce

If this works I will have to post the pictures on Tues. Night.

I promise a lower cost idea for March so we can all recover from buying flowers and nice cuts of meat in Feb.........

Any other hopeless chefs in the kitchen for Monday Night?

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope....the bedroom is where I do my cooking on V day.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You have it all planned quite well! I'm sure it will be very successful.

My plans have fizzled, since they fell through last weekend, I thought this weekend. Forgot Mr. AKGrayling was getting his wisdom teeth out on Friday, and I would be reported to child protection services if I served steak when he was unable to partake. wink Next weekend....

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chris_c
[Linked Image] I used the tenderloin from the cow elk I just shot in New Mexico. Fantastic recipe
That would have made a great Elk Wellington.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That sounds like a plan, but Monday night we are taking a strike vote. Negotiations have come to a stand still and the corporation is talking pay cuts. This will prove to be interesting as a strike comes with it an Emergency Services Agreement that all emergency calls will be answered. I might have to use backstrap.

Randy

Lester Roloff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
made it sunday nite...will post results tue/wed smile

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here are the pictures.

I made the dough at lunch. Let it stand till 5. Then we started by browning the roast in the Iron Pan.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wrapped up the roast with a bit more of the herbs on the meat. Only fresh I could find in my local market was Parsley. I am sure the others fresh would have been even better.

[Linked Image]

My oldest helper spread the Guryer and the bread out just so. Also never cried when sauteing the onion.

[Linked Image]

I cant recommend the easy Bearnaise enough if you like a little something extra on the plate. (I know some don't) This one could go on a donut and taste good. Pulled the roast at 130 and let it ride till done. The dough kept the meat moist and tender even at a bit more well done than some like. (My better half likes it past medium rare).

Very cool how the dough keeps the meat moist. It does add a salt flavor to the browned meat crust(Not the dough which was discarded), but it was good. No bacon wrap required.

Using the Gruyere on the Onion Pie was a very nice touch and worth the effort. Much better than the mix of monterey and motz I used before.
All in all a great dinner.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/BobBB250/Food/DSCN4999.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/BobBB250/Food/DSCN5000.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Bob_B257; 02/16/11. Reason: Missed sentence

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like a great combination! Thanks for the pictures!

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Itty little picture taken by phone camera a couple days ago.

[Linked Image]

I went to the butcher and got a pound and a half tenderloin. I made the dough and stuck it in the refrigerator for a good 4 hours. I brought both to my rod and gun club. I put the oven on 400 degrees and rolled out the dough on a piece of tin foil. No problem at all. I drizzled the meat with olive oil and covered with garlic and parsley. Wrapped, it went in the oven for 30 minutes. When I got it out, everyone thought it was beef wellington. I cut the top of the dough and pulled out the little loin and sliced it thin. The ends were well done, but the center was very rare. We put in little dinner rolls and ate it up. I heard one person say it was salty. I thought it was fine. We all enjoyed it and I offered to repeat the process with a whole fish. That would be quite a show.

Keep up the good work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did mine today, and I have to say the flavor was wonderful. I thought it a little bit salty, but that was mostly the end cut. I had a little trouble, mostly, I think with my oven. It took too long for the outside to get hard and crusty, hence the meat was a little overdone for my tastes, though my AkGrayling thought it was fine.

I used a piece of deer backstrap, so the piece of meat may have been a little too small. I do think this would be great, especially considering the blend of herbs, with port t-loin as well. And considering my overdone-ness of my effort.

I chose to accompany it with a wonderful garden salad.

But here are the pictures, nonetheless.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks great, bonus points for presentation!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image] here she goes oven ready [Linked Image] and dinner for 3 was a big hit the herbs made the dish! ps it was like breaking into a bank to get thur the crust.... hey do u like my salt dam I made smile

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............. lookin' good!!!
Mine didn't get really hard, I thought I was going to smack it with a hammer, but it didn't turn out like that. I had to take it out too soon because the chunk of meat was so small.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
atvalaska and MissTreated both tenderloins look good!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, thanks!! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are welcome smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It just dawned on me. I looked at that plate and thought, strawberries? My friend makes a salad out of spinach, strawberries, feta cheese and a light dressing. I had it once and thought it was pretty good. He says it's a huge hit at the pot lucks he's been to. That's something I never thought of to put in a salad.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's one of my favorite things to put in a garden salad. I use them a lot when they're in season, sparingly when they are not. I'll use a light vinegrette to dress the salad, or ranch. I like either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yeah spinach, strawberries, red onion (sparingly) and lightly glazed pecans or almond slices with a light vinaigrette... my mom made that regularly growing so obviously a person favorite.

Andrew
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have made the crust but it seems dry. It forms a ball but I wonder if it will roll out. Does this sound right.

Randy

Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dough was sticky and pretty mush until I got it out of the refrigerator. I added water until I it was soft though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Rob

I bit the bullet and added about 1/4 cop of water untill it was maleable. I spread the dough onto tin foil, put the roast tenderloin in the middle and rolled the dough using the tin foil to lift it. worked real good.

Whahoo boys, I was a hero in my wife's eyes. That is some wonderful eating I dry rubbed greek spice and cajun spice, then put fresh tarragon, parsley and a little left over celantro. Mine was in for thirty minutes but almost 45 before eating so came out medium. Still very tender and the herbs penetrated right through the meat. Baby potatoes and kernal corn. I will try and get photos up tomorrow.

Sorry I am late, but have had a crazy month.

Randy

Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This was a really good catch. I over cooked the tenderloin but still very moist and fork tender. We have had three meals out of the roast so the enjoyment has lasted.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lester Roloff
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 69sportfury, akpls, ak_Rick, 17 invisible), 17,110 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,879
Posts18,538,153
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
6 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.