Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not sure it was blind luck or not, but being the February recipe allows me to give you a great Valentine's Day dish. I've made this several times, and it's been well-received. The original recipe I used says it serves 4, but you'd better augment with veggies, salad & bread if you're going to feed that many (it only calls for a 24 oz. roast); it's better for 3 people and there will be leftovers for 2 people. Now, I've made for 4 people, but there are no leftovers.

You prepare a flour & kosher salt crust which becomes its own oven in which you'll bake the tenderloin. It continues to cook after you've removed from the oven. You crack open the crust in front of your guests, remove the fragrant roast and carve tableside. Always a crowd-pleaser. I've always done with beef, but you could probably use the tenderloin from certain types of game (i.e., for those animals where it's safe to cook on the rarer side).

In a large bowl, mix 2 1/2 cups AP flour, 1 1/2 cups kosher salt, 2T black pepper and 1/4 cup assorted fresh herbs. (I like Italian parsley, thyme, oregano and rosemary. I know a lot of recipes ask for fresh herbs, and many of us say "Yeah, right. Dried is fine." If at all possible, try to use fresh. It literally makes the dish.) In another small bowl, beat 2 egg whites until foamy. Gradually pour 1/2 cup + 2T water into the flour mixture, then egg whites, and stir with a wooden spoon until it begins to clump together. Knead in bowl, adding more water by the tablespoon until a moist dough forms. (I wouldn't use more than a couple additional tablespoons of water, though, as you don't want dough goopy.) Transfer to a floured surface and knead until it smooths out, about 3-4 min. (Do not become alarmed by dough's consistency. It's not a conventional flour dough; about 40% of it is salt, so it's grainy, etc.) Form the kneaded dough into a ball, cover in plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for approximately 4 hours.

Preheat a 400 degree oven. Heat approx. 2T olive oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Brown a 1.5# center cut, trimmed tenderloin on all sides. Set aside.

Roll out dough to an approx. 13"x10" rectangle. Place beef in center of dough, and cover with another 1/4 cup of assorted fresh herbs. Wrap beef. (Again, don't get concerned or frustrated about the dough or wrapping process. Wrap as best as you can, pinching openings closed. Use excess scraps of dough to plug holes. It'll take a few minutes, but you'll quickly see that you can fully encase the tenderloin.)

Place encased beef on baking dish and roast until rare (120-125 degrees, checked at the thickest part of the roast), approx. 25-30 min. Then remove and let stand for additional 30-60 min. (30 min. seems to get you to about med-rare.) I served with creamed horseradish sauce, roasted winter veggies, salad and a mellow red table wine.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Murphy was a grunt.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bangin'.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks good!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have done salt encrusted prime rib too....juicy and very tasty...btw....salt does not impart its taste to the meat like you think it would......

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Now that looks like something I'd like to try. Exactly the way I like my beef tenderloin, too. Looks great.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
looks great, let you know after I make it.

Last edited by chris_c; 02/01/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a nice recipe. I've never done a salt crusted anything. I always see people doing it on tv with fish. I'm stoked to see it done with beef.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RATS! I was all set to make this and read the fine print about the 4 hour sit time for the dough. Guess I now know what I'm making on Saturday!

Left over spaghetti, guys! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmighty good eatin'!

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know I'm not up until July, but does my recipe need to be a main dish? Or does a great dessert count?

Thanks
Chris

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can do whatever you like. I'm thinking about doing Italian egg biscuits or the like. Something I eat almost every day.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I can't decide either. Either a salad or a dessert.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well it appears I have to get some overtime in so I can afford the tenderloin. smile
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You and me, both, brother. That and the fresh herbs. My fresh herbs are under a big pile of snow....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ok, thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I know where the tenderloin from my elk is going

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good choice! Wish I had some! I think I'll be using a Sitka blacktail.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You all have better resolve than I do. Tenderloins are never frozen in my home, but eaten fresh. I am not waiting until next fall so Friday I will be going to my favourite butcher. I think the OP said he used 24 Oz portion, so in my neck of the woods that is $30. Fresh herbs available for $4 a small bunch. I dry my own but like MissTreated, it has been four months since the ground froze and then got covered with snow.

I have never salt crusted anything so this will be a fun project. Don't let my whining discourage anyone, it sure won't me.

Randy
Not happy unless I'm bitching

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only reason there are frozen backstraps in my freezer is because someone gifted them to us. Otherwise, they never would have lasted this long either. I do freeze them just can't spoil ourselves all at one time! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow fremont, that looks great. Have you ever done it with a larger tenderloin? I have a 5+ pounder in the freezer that I bought on sale this past Christmas. What are your thoughts on the dough for a cut that size...triple the recipe??

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by medicman
You all have better resolve than I do. Tenderloins are never frozen in my home, but eaten fresh. I am not waiting until next fall so Friday I will be going to my favourite butcher. I think the OP said he used 24 Oz portion, so in my neck of the woods that is $30. Fresh herbs available for $4 a small bunch. I dry my own but like MissTreated, it has been four months since the ground froze and then got covered with snow.

I have never salt crusted anything so this will be a fun project. Don't let my whining discourage anyone, it sure won't me.

Randy
Not happy unless I'm bitching
I get enough tags to have plenty to freeze....ration them like water in the desert and make them last till end of the summer....

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1234, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 18,697 guests, and 1,413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,852
Posts18,537,514
Members74,050
Most Online20,631
2 minutes ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.