Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I talked with a friend yesterday, overhearing him talk about hunting with leveractions, and he mentioned having a Savage Leveraction. Being the leveraction fanatic(especially the Savages) I asked him what model of 99 he had. He gave me a funny look and said he did not know what model it was. Well I am not a complete Savage arms know it all, but I thought they had only made 1899, 99 models. I showed him a picture of my 1899A and he looked at it like it was alien. I knew then he was not at my level of Leveraction enthusiast. Anyhow, he says his has a hammer that you cock.. So now my question is--- Is there a Savage lever action rifle model that I dont know about? He said his was 30-30. I told him then probably he has a Marlin or Winchester.. maybe a Savage Stevens?? Anyone have info on such, pictures would be great too..

"real men use Savages-and wear mustaches"
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No, there's no Savage 30-30 with a hammer.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Stevens 425?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Im gonna look those up.. I didnt figure they made one.. but he called his dad whos been around this rifle for a long time. My friend says its his granddads and that he is going to get it... So they seem very adamant that it is a Savage.. I believe they know how to read and know that the rifle is marked somewheres...buuuuutt.. they are country folk- whistle

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 425's predate Stevens' acquisition by Savage. Can't see calling it a Savage, except that they both start with "S".

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Okay found a pic... Looks like a Marlin.. but if Im not mistaken... Marlin made some products for Savage/Stevens... Anyhow... would this Stevens 425 be marked Savage or just Stevens rifle?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
im gonna have to get that guy to take a picture of his rifle....maybe on his cell phone and then Ill know....Lightbulb just went on.. Am I the only one that sits here and burns a lot of time on this stuff... I could sit here all day.. I just got off shift and I should be sleeping but all I can think about is damn leveractions!!!!! maybe its because I have about 600 bucks stashed away that I have waiting to buy a rifle... grin

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hmm! I wonder if the 425 was ever listed as a Savage/Stevens. Of course I have no knowledge of this, but like you said, they have lived with the rifle a long time. I found this surfing around the net. It kind of reminds me of a Winchester.

http://www.leverguns.com/leverguns/stevens_model_425.htm

"Produced from 1910 to 1917, the Stevens was never as popular as the Savage, Marlin or Winchester leverguns. It was made in calibers .25, 30, 32 .35 centerfire.

It was actually produced in 4 model designations: 425, 430, 435. 440. These designation were used to indicate increased ornamentation, higher quality materials and more workmanship.

All were made with 22" barrels, blued steel and walnut stocks.

There were about 26,000 produced."

Last edited by BertW; 02/01/11.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BertW
Hmm! I wonder if the 425 was ever listed as a Savage/Stevens.
"Produced from 1910 to 1917, the Stevens was never as popular as the Savage, Marlin or Winchester leverguns.

Compared to:

On June 1, 1917, the corporate name was changed to Savage Arms Corporation. During the early part of 1920 the (Savage Arms) company obtained all of the outstanding capital stock of the J. Stevens Arms Co., of Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts,

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Based on the in depth investigation done here on the board, the evidence has shown that the 425 was not a Savage rifle, with a hammer. However, he has established some reasonable doubt. Smokey, we need a picture.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yeah.. I got to get him to take one.. He is very adamant about it.. And Savage rifles are not popular..er not often seen here in Tx...So for him to keep repeating the Savage name, I wonder.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calhoun
The 425's predate Stevens' acquisition by Savage. Can't see calling it a Savage, except that they both start with "S".

I have found that there are a large number of people that do not differentiate Savage from Stevens at all - I have found it frustrating when looking for a paticular model - when I inform the person that it's a Stevens, not a Savage..or the other way around, they look at me as if I am crazy to make a distinction. Even searching the internet for parts many list Savage 29-A parts under Stevens 29-A.

I agree the gun in question has to be a Stevens.... (and pardon me for making that distiction - I have been looking for a 'Stevens 29-A' pump 22 for my collection for years - what do you think all that I have been told about actually are? ..and then they seem mad when I inform them I don't want it because its stamped Savage and not Stevens).

Just thought of another question - "it's a 30-30" - if it's a Stevens then it's 30-30 Remington.

Last edited by GeneB; 02/01/11. Reason: added info

Gene
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BertW
Hmm! I wonder if the 425 was ever listed as a Savage/Stevens. Of course I have no knowledge of this, but like you said, they have lived with the rifle a long time. I found this surfing around the net. It kind of reminds me of a Winchester.

http://www.leverguns.com/leverguns/stevens_model_425.htm

"Produced from 1910 to 1917, the Stevens was never as popular as the Savage, Marlin or Winchester leverguns. It was made in calibers .25, 30, 32 .35 centerfire.

It was actually produced in 4 model designations: 425, 430, 435. 440. These designation were used to indicate increased ornamentation, higher quality materials and more workmanship.

All were made with 22" barrels, blued steel and walnut stocks.

There were about 26,000 produced."

Bert,

No one is trying to beat you up and its good that you are doing some digging. If you go back a few pages or do a search on this forum you will find that there is a very long thread about the 425-440 and the analysis here seemed to indicate that there was nowhere even close to 26,000 made. The thread is long but an interesting read if you find the Steven High Power an interesting rifle.

Andrew
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
It looks like around 5000 rifles produced, maybe ,and i'm pretty sure they never said savage on any since they stopped production in 1917 and Stevens wasn't bought by Savage untill 1920. Don

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The only reason I brought it up is for the very reasons stated above- a lot of people today automatically think Savage-Stevens in the same breath. To the "great unwashed masses" they are, and always have been, one and the same.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No telling what kind of gun the guy has. There are people who don't know levers from pumps from autos or Savage from Winchesters from Remington or a rifle from a shotgun. This thread is pure speculation.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Thanks Drew! No, I don't have any interest in the 425-440. I was just posting a quick search "find" to help answer the question, Savage or not. I don't think anyone is beating me up. I hope not anyway smile

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 6mm250
No telling what kind of gun the guy has. There are people who don't know levers from pumps from autos or Savage from Winchesters from Remington or a rifle from a shotgun. This thread is pure speculation.

Mike

The thread is not speculation as the only real question was, did Savage make a lever gun other than the 99, which I think has been answered.. The only speculation is wether or not my friend knows what he has. But that is not what this thread is about wink

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokey15
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike

The thread is not speculation as the only real question was, did Savage make a lever gun other than the 99, which I think has been answered.. The only speculation is wether or not my friend knows what he has. But that is not what this thread is about wink

SO THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything's quite clear now,,,,,,,,,,,by golly!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
But now curiosity has got a hold of me. Just like the robber from the opening scene of Dirty Harry, "I got's to know..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maBJzJgYjto I know it's OT, but I had to.

Last edited by BertW; 02/01/11.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,409
Posts18,528,121
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.