Print Thread
Hop To
#4888024 02/01/11
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Does anyone have any experience with this meat grinder?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_36989_36989

If not any thoughts based on the description.

Tom

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have one similar to it. Ok for light grinding but if I was going to make sausage or grind a lot of burger I would buy a larger one. I would start here http://www.lemproducts.com/category/meat-grinder

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tom,

I have that grinder and its been excellent...The beauty of it is that it has metal drive shaft and gears rather than plastic like many others so is much more hard wearing...

I honestly think you have to spend twice or even three times as much to get a significantly higher quality unit..

Regards,

Peter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one like it and it has been good for me. miles

Last edited by milespatton; 02/01/11. Reason: skipped an it

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pete E
Tom,

I have that grinder and its been excellent...The beauty of it is that it has metal drive shaft and gears rather than plastic like many others so is much more hard wearing...

I honestly think you have to spend twice or even three times as much to get a significantly higher quality unit..

Regards,

Peter

Key point! My only complaint with mine is small hopper & throat. I have access to a commercial grinder so mine doesn't get used much anymore.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've got one. 2 antelope, 2 deer and an elk through it. So far, so good. I picked up a couple of stainless steel plates for it, because the ones that came with it weren't. The blade is stainless though.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Now I've found this one, It seems to have better reviews. Also comes with two stainless steel blades. One stop jerky shop is saying that its a 1200 watt unit where the Northern Tool is a 1000 Watt.

http://www.onestopjerkyshop.com/tasin-ts108-electric-meat-grinder-p-47.html

I also read review of the Northern tool that said most of the gears were metal but that there was one gear in there that is Nylon and it will fry if you run the machine too hard.

Do you guys think the TS-108 at the onestopjerkyshop is worth the extra $50? The onestopjerkyshop has no return policy once you use the machine.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Tom

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It (the northern tool) is made in China. That's all I would have to know. Does anyone know where the Tasin is made?-Mike

Last edited by fink65; 02/01/11. Reason: clarification

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I ended up ordering the Tasin TS-108. It has approximately twice the running wattage as the Northern Tool model. The peak wattage is also higher.

After I use it I will report back with my findings.

Tom

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks,Tom- I just sent them a question about it and asked if I could pick it up since I am in the same location. I have really wanted a good one for some time and this looks real decent.-Mike

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have always wanted an electric grinder but every fall I get out the old hand crank #32 and it does the job without fail, just some sweat. One year my wife and I were cooking for a Bible camp and enlisted the kids in different aspects of sausage making, according to their ages, dexterity etc. We made up 65 lbs one day and it was cleaned up in two meals. There was a real pride of accomplishment. I am at the point now that I wonder if I will get my money out of a good grinder.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
So I put the grinder through it's paces. Here's how it went.

I bought 7.5lbs of Sirloin tip roast. I started with strips that were 50% larger than strips of meat for a Man's stir fry. The thing ate them like they weren't even there. Then I went three times the size of stir fry, again the Tasin ate them like they weren't even there. So I decided to go big. I cut the remainder of the tip steak into strips that were 7" long, 1.5-2" wide and 1/2-3/4" thick. Probably close to 5lbs worth.

The Tasin sucked those down as fast as I could put them through the machine though for the larger pieces I did have to use the plunger. This was while using the medium grinding plate. I would say I did my first grind on 7.5lbs of meat, not including the cut time, in about 2 minutes or so.

Then I put the fine plate on there and ran all of the meat back through the machine. It went flawlessly. I would say running the first grind back through the machine took less than 5 min.

When I was finished I pulled it all apart and there was some connective tissue between the cork screw/blade/plate. It didn't slow this machine down at all.

I've done quite a bit of grinding with a larger grinder and I have to say that this machine is amazing for it's size and cost.

The Tasin didn't work very hard to accomplish this which is why I'm feeling that I'll likely never need another one.

I would definitely suggest you give this one a try if you've been on the fence about an electric grinder. I dragged my feet because my buddy has always been pretty cool with letting me come over and use his.

I will report back once I do some more grinding in the next month or so.

Tom

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I ran 16lbs of meat through the grinder. It was doing so well I started feeding the strips in two at a time. No issues.

When I was getting ready to grind the pork I put it through in strips with the fine plate in place. Ground it easily.

I only wished that I had purchased this sooner as opposed to continuing to use my buddies grinder.

I'm shocked at how good this thing works.

Tom

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Statjunk- I am going over monday morning to take a look at the grinders that are listed on E/B that sell from my hometown. Tried like heck to find something Made in the good old USA, but not happening. If I don't like the looks of theirs, I will be buying the one you bought. Seems like you got a good one.-Mike

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I hope you find one made in the USA. We need to support ourselves. I usually purchase that way but for some reason I didn't even consider it when looking for the grinder. Not sure why.

Tom

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
stat- I went ahead and bought the Megaforce 3000 air cooled job. he gave me a decent price. I bought it this morning and swung by a small packing plant and picked up a beef chuck. Set it up and made short work making burger for cooking and just patties for the grill. I will be having some this evening to see how it cooks up. The grinder didn't seem to mind what I fed it or how fast. Guess I am pleased with it. I asked him if he knew of any made in the US that were priced within reason and he said no. Guess we both did well-Mike

Last edited by fink65; 02/28/11. Reason: clarification

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I was considering that one. Then I asked him what the gears were made of and he said all steel except one is mob steel. He claims mob steel is a gear that has a metal core and plastic sleeve over it.

I wanted to stay away from plastic gears so I went another direction.

Tom

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I decided that this grinder is powerful enough that you don't even need the standard grinding plate. I just do a double grind through the fine plate now. It doesn't even sound likes it's working that hard. Yesterday I ground up some Elk steak for my boy and was done with two lbs in about 1.5 min.

I'm so seriously happy with this thing. I wish I had bought it five years ago.

Tom

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1911a1, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,723
Posts18,514,249
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.