Print Thread
Hop To
#4890969 02/02/11
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I picked this thing up recently. It is about a 90%+ rifle, blued with hardwood stock. It has neither the beauty of walnut or the utility of fiberglass. Nor is the metal portion a thing of beauty.

Looking at it, it is a nice functional rifle, but it sure will not win any beauty contests, nor weigh in slim and trim. It is my first Savage of this design, and I wonder what I got myself into. The trigger guard is plastic, and the recoil lug appears to be rather petite.

I know she will never be a beauty queen, but is there anything that can be done to lighten it up a bit.

Oh, it is a 250-3000 with a 22" barrel.

GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Sure would help if you could post some pictures..

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Explain to me exactly how that would help.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Well if you post some pics we could look for some areas to shave weight. You may have to measure the action screw spacing and see if you can find a replacement synthetic stock.

A hunter gets his deer. A good hunter can make long shots. A great hunter likes it up close and personal!
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lightening up a Savage is not easy. Not many lightweight stocks available. McMillan or Manners (I think) make very light stocks, but they are not cheap. Only other thing would possibly be a lighter barrel (thinner at least since I see you're already at 22"), but I don't know what your's has to know if that's much of an option. Could save a few ounces (maybe) with some Talley lightweight rings. What scope do you have, may be a few ounces to be had there. Can't think of much else.

Last edited by prm; 02/02/11.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Short of taking the rasp and sandpaper to the stock, you could probably cut the barrel back to 20" and install a lighter stock.

I don't know if you want to invest the money but McMillan makes a few Savage inletted stocks patterned after the Remington handles. Get one in an Edge package and you should lighten up considerably.

I didn't see any mention of a detachable magazine so I am going to assume it is an ADL style. If you are feeling particularly handy, you could order a Bansner Model 700 sheep hunter stock at a bit of a discount vs the McMillan, inlet it to fit your Savage and rebed with epoxy. It would be a bit of work but should come in a fair bit cheaper than the McMillan route.

Woops, I guess I took my time typing while PRM was saying the same thing...

Last edited by War_Eagle; 02/02/11.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Actually, Savages aren't that heavy since they have a slender, tapered barrel, with a thin muzzle diameter.

Pros: Light barrel, lots of aftermarket accessories, you can swap barrels yourself, swap bolt handles, swap bolt faces...

Cons: Poor finish on the steel, ugly barrel nut, action is very long which may require one piece base, but does allow long seated bullets...

You can swap out the lug, and the trigger guard. I am probably getting rid of my steel trigger guard.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Other than the caliber, it has nothing that rings my chimes. It looks identical to any of the other 5 million 110E's sitting at Wally Worlds across the nation.

It sits between beauty and handy and is really neither. I had Burris extra low zee rings and an older 6X burris on hand. It came with weaver bases, so I stuck them together.

I've got the better part of a gunsmithing shop sitting here. Lathe, mill, wood whittling tools, so working on it isn't a problem. It was an impulse purchase due to caliber/cartridge, and I'm just wondering what to do with it now. It would be a perfect kid's first deer rifle. Maybe I should just play with it for a little bit and then look for a 12 year old in need.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you want light, wait for the availability of the Model 11 Lightweight Hunter. They have those down to 5.5lbs for a short action. Or, if you just want to put a little nicer stock on it try the Duramaxx. I have a couple and am quite happy. Not much lighter than the factory stock, but they are funtional and look nice.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
"Maybe I should just play with it for a little bit and then look for a 12 year old in need."
Could I pass for 12? whistle
Show pics when done. Love the caliber. Should be accurate.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
One thing about those stocks, they are fat near the mag area. Kind of uncomfortable to carry, and I have pretty big hands. You could slim it down, or toss it into a different stock. B&C makes a Medalist for them now, and they are sweet!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a Stevens 110E in .30-06 that a friend in CA re-stocked, glass-bedded, adjusted the trigger, and installed a recoil pad cut to my length of pull in return for hunting info. The original stock cracked right down the middle after spending a night in the water after a flood that filled the basement. He put a laminated Weatherby stock on it, which a so-called friend says was like putting a three-story addition on an outhouse. Shoots mighty fine, though, and it only cost $75.
Ramline makes synthetic stocks for the gun, and I got a synthetic stock with pillar bedding and a blind magazine to replace the original wooden one with boogered-up clip and clip release on a friend's 40 year old left-hand gun directly from Savage. Bet they can supply a youth model, too.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i bought a 110e this weekend in .270, same thing. in perfect shape and will soon be a .243 AI. these are nice rifles for the price and the ease of barrel swapping is a great feature.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
send it to me ,i got a 7 mmmag for you thats light with syn. stock

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
You can get a factory "tupperware" stock for it, lots of folk give them away, or sell them real cheap. They are very light. They are a tad flimsy, but they are serviceable.

That is a nice calibre, you don't see many in that. A zillion 30-06 around.

Friend don't let friends use see through sights!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd suggest shooting it before messing with it. Just to get a baseline on the groups.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Looking at the thing, and reading what you guys have written, perhaps it is my attitude that needs adjusting. It is a little chunky and clubby, but really not all that heavy. I must be a tich spoiled.

I think I will play with it a while, and if I happen to trip over a nicer stock, I'll pick it up. Thanks all.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I owned a Savage 110E in .250-3000 a few years ago, it
was a heavy rifle, but very accurate. The new Savage 14
in this caliber looks much slimmer and lighter than the
older Savage models.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 40 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,316
Posts18,526,374
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.