Campfire Greenhorn
P
anyone have one ?

im thinking of buying a used one.

thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did and will be getting it back at the end of this year.

The 1999 500's will give you plenty of "work power" and a top speed of about 35mph. You can get these ones fairly cheap. 3-4k on a decent day with power dump.

Steering sorta sucks unless you engage 6x

never the less a good worker

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is one on the ranch here. It is quite a workhorse, I think it's the 500. They go pretty much anywhere. And you can cross narrow irrigation ditches at an angle without any of the wheels dropping down in the ditch. Just one of the little things I like about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These things are very popular up here and seem to work well, though there are times when it won't perform like an atv will. I like the idea of having the cargo bed on the back but I really dislike chain driven machines when it comes to atv/utv's.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
They are nice but require lots of maintenace and some have reliability problems.

After owning 2 for 10 plus years. Would not buy a older one with chain drive on the front end. Plan on replacing chains & sprockets every few years. (not cheap).

They work well for certain applications, a 4 wheeler is probably more versitile & reliable.

They are not for the novice rider and would not ride one sidehilling without rear wheel extenders.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I have an older 6x6 and have pounded the crap out of it. I go catch my big draft horses with it and tie them all over the headache rack and head for the trailer. This is on the mountain. I have gone up very steep hills and ran over small trees with it and do very little repair. Mine is belt driven and I replace belts 2 to 3 times per year. I feed horses out of it and the grand kids run the hell out of it. Fits in my horse trailer. I use it like a work truck.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I work on transmission power lines on rights of way of widely varrying terrain. We use these extensively for patrolling and maintenance work where we can not get bucket trucks in and have to climb. Weve been running them for several years now and they are pretty good rigs, and I am very biased against Polaris. My main problem with them is their 4 wheelers, but I wont go into that now. We are very rough on the Rangers we have at work and they hold up pretty well. Over the years we have snapped about four rear axles, changed a lot of belts and had one blown engine. The latter was during the big Ice storm of 09 in the bootheel region of missouri. This is pretty good considering how rough we are on them, we dont baby them in any way and they get "Tested" on a regular basis. They do go just about anywhere with ease. As bad as I dislike Polaris I think their Ranger is a good rig.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A good friend in Co. has one and he also has the tracks for the rear. It is an awesome machine but he is anal retentive about his maintenance. With tracks, nothing but trees and big rocks seems to stop it. Deep snow - no problem.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
R
R
I have a 99 big boss 500 great machine. Must maintain it, lots of grease fittings and chains to oil. The only chain and spocket set I've never had to change spockets or chain is the front. One other tip is change the main drive sprocket to an 11 tooth I don't spend nearly as much time in low range. I lost some top end but I have only taken it above 30mph a couple times anyway.

If your not first your last

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,771
Posts18,515,618
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.