Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
264wm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Here is a different approach Benjamin has just introduced a .357 caliber air rifle with velocities of 1000 fps, accurate to 150 yards, 150 to 300 ft lbs energy and nosler 145gr bullet with sectional density .162 and ballistic coefficient of .176. Its a ballistic tip eXTREME made for this air gun.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nothing "different" about it at all...

Dennis Quakenbush and others have been building .30 cal, 9mm .45 and .50 cal PCP airguns that beat the "new
Crosman" for years now.

I also do not believe their B.C. specs given the shape of those slugs and the velocities they are shot at. The HIGHEST BC shape for any slug running sub sonic is a perfect ball end round nose. Also, nose heavy slugs are more stable at those velocities which is why the most accurate air rifle projectiles are hollow based.

Crosman has provided NO real world proof the either their "new" .357 rifle or ammo is any more efficient or accurate than any other 9mm PCP airgun out there.

Other than the M-16 Wannabee Mall ninja look of the .357 Crosman and the silly hype, nothing really is very interesting about it.

Last edited by jim62; 02/03/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Yep, saw it at the SHOT show.
[Linked Image]
The gun is big, but surprisingly light.
It's an all electronic gun.

S.W.A.G. it
264wm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The BC specs came from Nosler the bullet expert.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jim62
(sic)

I also do not believe their B.C. specs given the shape of those slugs and the velocities they are shot at. The HIGHEST BC shape for any slug running sub sonic is a perfect ball end round nose. Also, nose heavy slugs are more stable at those velocities which is why the most accurate air rifle projectiles are hollow based.

(sic)

Are you sure about that? I've shot groups with a 300 whisper and a 240 gr matchking loaded subsonic that are in the 1/4 moa range at 100 yds. I've also shot some might small groups with truncated cone wadcutters shot subsonic from revolvers.

Perhaps a better statement would be that for a relatively light for caliber bullet the hollow base has an advantage.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I made a post about this airgun in the hunting rifle section called "Jim Shockey's new .357 airgun" or something to that affect.

I believe this rifle does indeed add something new if my impression is correct, which is that the valve is opened with a solenoid rather than a spring-loaded hammer and also computer controlled for minimal fps variance (adjustable to the weight of the projectile).

Last edited by BUTCHER45; 02/08/11.

"When an animal dies quick there is no further argument." Veral Smith
click
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by jim62
(sic)

(sic)

Are you sure about that? I've shot groups with a 300 whisper and a 240 gr matchking loaded subsonic that are in the 1/4 moa range at 100 yds. I've also shot some might small groups with truncated cone wadcutters shot subsonic from revolvers.

Perhaps a better statement would be that for a relatively light for caliber bullet the hollow base has an advantage.

Ballistic Coefficient has nothing to do with bullets ability to group tightly at a fixed distance. Period.

BC, is measurement to calculate relative drag .It has to do with drag and thus, velocity retention . A sharp nosed bullet can group better in an individual rifle, particularly at relatively short range, and still loose velocity faster than a more blunt nosed slug that may not group as well in a that particular gun.

It's one of the reasons why the long range snipers and match shooters are so sensitive about keeping their bullets ABOVE transonic range in flight at the ranges the engage targets. And why for years they have felt the .308 is on the ragged edge in that regard past 800 meters.

My point is that Crosman is crowing about a new 9mm airgun that breaks rules of airgun ammo ballistics even THEY have followed with other match grade airgun ammo that operates at less than 1,000 FPS. Compare the basic shape of the new .357 Nosler airgun slug to the very highly thought of Crosman Premier Match Airgun pellets- apples and oranges -Why?

Marketing gimmicks- same as the "Mall ninja" AR -15 looks of the .357 rifle.

Of course, it will take a lot of gimmickry to sell such a "practical" air rifle that is useless without batteries,is a "Compact" 48 inches long, weighs a "handy" 9 lbs without scope and is going to be "reasonably priced" at over a grand..LOL grin ??

Last edited by jim62; 02/09/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want a relatively powerful airgun then check out the Career 707 in 22 cal. Its a PCP gun with about the power of a 22 short. I had one for quite a while and used it mainly for ground squirrels out to 100 yards and even killed a raccoon or two at close range.

[Linked Image from ]
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
FWIW, Crosman annouced the price on those is $1,500 retail.. laugh

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (16gage, 160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,491
Posts18,490,394
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.