Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BRoper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The whistle pigs are out here in sw Idaho. Went out yesterday, about 38*, bright sunny day and there were quite a few running around. Also shot a badger but it got in a hole before I could get to it.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It looks like it is about time to go visit my son in Boise - can't wait for a few warm days in a row to get in a bit of early shooting.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does anyone know if that whistle pig in Roundup saw his shadow?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't know for shure, but guessin by the weather that day...I'm thinkin' not... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Don't know for shure, but guessin by the weather that day...I'm thinkin' not... grin

and here I listen to these guys..

Ingwe, these Montana guys were telling me that IF YOU saw your shadow, it would be 6 more MONTHs of winter in Montana...

makes me wonder, I think they are pulling our leg...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I DID see my shadow. It was clear and krispy on Wednesday, I think.
Feels like more winter. Best storm yet was Monday, I say best because it actually dumped some snow before it started drifting it around. Man I Wish I Had A Pass.
But I admit, I am looking forward to spring. I love that first whiff of warm, wet dirt.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This has me getting itchy for squirrel season...

I have plenty of loaded ammo from previous years for the 223s, and here I am loading up another couple of hundred.... just to scratch the Spring Sage Rat Season itch..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BRoper: Do you consider "whistle pigs" to be Ground Squirrels?
In all the states (including SW Idaho!) I have Hunted "whistle pigs" they were Rock Chucks not Ground Squirrels.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BRoper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I still have a hard time calling ground squirrels "whistle pigs", just do it because everyone else here does. You know, "when in Rome". Years ago we always called rock chucks "whistle pigs", then when I moved back to Idaho six years ago, everybody was using that for ground squirrels.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When I worked in the Boise area back in the early 60's everyone called them whistle pigs, picket pins or gophers, no one that I knew ever called them ground squirrels.

It's pretty easy to see how they came to be called whistle pigs when you hear their warning cries, and or course when standing upright they do bear a resemblance to a picket pin. To this day I still call them gophers or whistle pigs although I do hear more folks calling them ground squirrels now.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sage RATS seems to best fit for me...

their habits are more closely aligned with a rat.. especially the cannibal part

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yep! While I don't use the term Sage Rat I do like it - it removes the "cuteness" from the other names and aptly describes them and some of their habits.

drover

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yup, the sage rats are coming up around here as well. I need to find some ground to the north. Ah, red mist across the snow...what dreams are made of. smile

Tim
No Off Season
Predator and Varmint Gear and Hunts
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sage rats, AKA "squeekers".

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
FNG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I grew up in Ohio and we called groundhogs whistle pigs. IIRC their warning call was more of a whistle than a chirp and they're fat little buggers. Haven't heard anyone here call ground squirrels by that name...

I'm in NW MT and was wonderin how early in the spring the ground squirrels start making themselves available for shooting. Got permission from a couple landowners and my first varmint rifle, now I wanna see some red mist.

BRoper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
FNG,
just get out there and start cruising around on nice sunny days. it'd surprise you how early they do come out. I've seen them running around on the snow.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
BRoper, I always carried a 10' strand of bob wire behind the truck seat to stick in a badger hole and twist it. The barbs will get caught up in the badger's hair, then you just pull him out.

You can use this technique on live ones also. It's good to have a shot gun real handy when fishing out live ones.

BRoper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I've heard of the bob wire trick. Bet that would be "fun" to pull a live one out. I've had them growl and pop their teeth at me, sound like they could get kinda mean.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I saw a badger in No Minnesota one time, get into it with a black bear over something..

heard a ruckess from my deer stand, down toward the river and on 9 power watched this badger just throw himself at this black bear, that was a decent sized one..

the badger was quick and didn't back down from the bear at all..

No thank you...

check out the claws on this thing!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FNG, Can't say for sure, but the squirrels in your neighborhood NW MT, might well be the Columbian Ground squirrel. That's what we have in Northern Idaho anyway. The Columbian variety is much larger than the smaller sage rats, (Beldings ground squirrel)that several are already seeing out. The sage rats come out sooner and much more numerous than the Columbians. I don't get any real good shooting until May, but they do start coming out in late March and early April depending on snow and weather.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (35, anothergun, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,570 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,642
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.