Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I know they have a few models under $300 I have not priced any lately but I would bet you can find some on plaza cutlers website. I think the WP's are maybe even under $200? Dan is a hell of a good guy to deal with too.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW Bark River sells a version of the Bravo-1 without the thumb rest. They will also grind the one off yours if you don't feel comfortable doing so. Bark River would likely replace what's broken if you contact them.

Was your Bravo-1 A-2 or CMP 154CM?

I replaced the sheaths of a couple of my Bravo-1 Sheaths with Sharpshooter sheaths:

[Linked Image]

They also make leather horizontal sheaths for the Bravo-1 and stuff for the ESEE's too:

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/index.php?cPath=489_628

Anyway, I hope you get your sheath worked out just the way you like it......................dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is A-2. I like the kydex sheath. It carries the knife up high and pretty out of sight the way I dress. Also it is easy to keep clean and doesn't hold moisture.
I'm sure Bark River will take care of the sheath. I'll likely grind off the thumb rest myself.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice sheaths. I like your handles too. Canvas macarta? Believe mine is linen and not as grippy.
I do like the handle shape as you can get your weight into using this knife.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
[Linked Image]

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
[Linked Image]

Tim, been meaning to ask you what you want for one of those.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
[Linked Image]
Model T-10
Option for the butt are -- flush handle, chisel edge, pointed.
A-2 .150"x10" @ 59Rc cryo tempered.
Hard sheath. Can have modified model with interchangeable loop for MOLLE tunnel for those who need that.

After this weekend show, will know what is left. Any interested can pm me for availability and pricing.
Mink--I will get back with you first.
Thanks
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tim, thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like the Bark River Gameskeeper II for an all around knife. Plenty heavy enough for any camp work plus you can bone easily enough with it. Have one in spalted maple and it is just about too pretty to use. That said, I do have a rampless Bravo I in carbon on order--but no reason for another knife...

Gameskeepr II

Tim--do you have your knives on a page?

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not the prettiest in the world, but this original Becker BK-7 is extremely practical (and priced to sell at $70.) smile

[Linked Image]

IC B3

2ndwind Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the input guys.... never explored the medium heavy duty knife world before... would be easy to spend a bunch of money esp on the Bark River Bravo 1 with up grade scales and an extra cross draw sheath...

The ESEE 5 has a lot going for it IMO... really wish it didn't have the skull on the blade though... seems like a prosecuting attorney would just love to see that if the knife was ever used in defense.

I have a small Dozier that came with a cross draw Kydex sheath... I find this to be a very handy carry system for a knife with a 3" blade... not so sure about how it would workout with a 4" or 5" blade though... thoughts?

The idea of a shoulder rig with a medium heavy knife on one side and flashlight and spare clip of ammunition on the other might have some merit... who makes such a rig? Pretty sure I would want Kydex there too...

Lowest base price I have found on the ESEE 5 was $148.95 and the Bravo 1 was $187.95 IIRC. If someone is aware of better pricing I would appreciate a PM about it.

Thanks again.

Please don't feed the trolls!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I know it's cheap and so am I, but I really like my Schrade Deerslayer and its blaze orange handle. I have its baby brother Sharpfinger also with a blaze orange handle. China-made but both for less than $50 total.

The Deerslayer is a little big for a skinning knife, IMHO, so it's in my camp kit for a butcher knife. It ought to be easy to find in the camping stuff in the back of my pickup. Anyway, that's how I justified buying it when I knew dang well I simply wanted it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yeah one of many knifes I already own and my hatchet would be more "practical" for "bushcraft" use... My Kahr PM 9 is almost certainly a better defensive weapon....

Truth be told I just finished reading a new espionage novel, Power Down <A new release that was really pretty good BTW> and realized that I have never owned a knife that was designed for any heavier use that processing deer. So I'm in the same boat... I just want a gray man knife.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Michiganroadkill made these for me. The top knife is A2 steel with micarta scales, the lower is S30V with Bocote wood. Both of them are hard use beasts, and can take just about any kind of punishment. Both excel at woods craft tasks, and would do as well as a defense blade. They take and hold an amazing sharp edge.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

Lowest base price I have found on the ESEE 5 was $148.95 and the Bravo 1 was $187.95 IIRC. If someone is aware of better pricing I would appreciate a PM about it.

Thanks again.

Knife Works will sell you one like this, for $129.95. I just know you are not seriously concerned about the logo on the blade though. shocked
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mannlicher; 02/04/11.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Michiganroadkill made these for me. The top knife is A2 steel with micarta scales, the lower is S30V with Bocote wood. Both of them are hard use beasts, and can take just about any kind of punishment. Both excel at woods craft tasks, and would do as well as a defense blade. They take and hold an amazing sharp edge.
[Linked Image]

I like the looks of those....................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Did a quick search and found this company. I know nothing about the company, but they seem to have some pretty good prices on ESEEs. Price seems to be a bit steep on the #5 ($143.99), but they have the #6 listed at $118.99 and the #4 at $91.99

http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.c...;osCsid=ee56c78d8f0cf909f8893657ac793bf6

Murph
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Falkniven F1 Swedish Pilot knife. It is outstanding, but not large.

Somewhere, I have an older A G Russell SS Blackie Collins survival knife. It is similar to their newer "stash" knife from Japan, only in stainless.

Those knives from MRK look very nice. He does some outstanding work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry to chime in here on the Strider comments, but you guys need to learn the history on the two leaders of that company. Mick Strider and Dwayne Dwyer have both been called out as military posers and phoneys.

Buy their knives if you like them and if you can deal with their lack of integrity. As for me, I'll spend my money where I can count on the character of the guy making the blades

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sam, looks like you may have bought out all the $129.95 ESEE 5s... good on you for giving some to young men being deployed...

I really do think the skull is pretty tacky... but I'm frugal and was thinking about overlooking that for a bargain deal.

I could like something in S30V... I'll send a PM off to the member you listed about price delivery time....

300WinMag, that is some ugly background on the Strider company...military posers are a special kind of low life IMO.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,285
Posts18,486,876
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.