Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Well, my K22 came in Friday and I think I found a keeper.
Not pristine mind you, but a nice one none the less.

Due to to cold outside, and poor lighting inside, my pic's ain't the best. But here it is none the less.

To my untrained eye, there doesn't appear to be any thinning to the blue,
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

but it does have some flaws I can live with. Fer'instance this one patch of freckling on the cylinder.
[Linked Image]
And the sideplate has been removed by a heavy handed clutz.
[Linked Image]
As well as some scratching to the left side of the frame.
[Linked Image]
Harsh lighting makes that last appear much worse than it truly is.
This, on the muzzle, really has me puzzled.
[Linked Image]
I can't determine if it is corrosion or a really tough buildup of carbon. Some, a tiny bit, came loose with a bronze bore brush and Hoppe' Nitro9. What I wiped off with a clean patch did not looklike rust, but if it were carbon it should have come off.

Now here is where I'm gonna' need help. Other than the ser# I have no idea what the frame stampings mean. So here's a series of Q's.

Like these. Could the R indicate that it has a factory refinish?
[img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/AsphaltCowboy_album/002.jpg[/img]

And by the serial number, according to Roy Jinks at S&W, it is a 47-48 manufacture. But from what I have learned from you folks here, the four line address is later.
[img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/AsphaltCowboy_album/028.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/AsphaltCowboy_album/006.jpg[/img]

Also, were the grips on these serialized to the gun?
[img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/AsphaltCowboy_album/014.jpg[/img]
The right one is the only one with any markings. Neither has suffered any edge or checkering damage with only three or four very impact marks which I won't even bother to steam out.

crud, I ran out of room more to follow

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
here we go.

[Linked Image]

Just two more Q's, and I'll post this up.

I know it's not a humpback hammer (drats), but is this the standard hammer or target?
[Linked Image]

And should I even attempt to set the barrel pin deeper?
[Linked Image]
It's just the tiniest bit proud on the left, and really stands out on the right side.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.
Now, if I can just get a nice day to take it out to shoot.

for themselves."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Standard hammer, typical of the time period, I'd think. The ramped front sight is "different", most I've seen have the Patridge sight, which I like, frankly.

You can straight up the barrel pin, but if it's not loose, I wouldn't bother, unless it really upsets you.

It's a pretty nice piece for it's age, don't nitpick it to death. It'll make a heckuva holster gun.

I can't help you on the grips, they're so easy to change out that they might be from anything K-framed.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
That is sweet. I grew up shooting one. My older brother got it tho.... I did find a Model 18 about 10 years ago so I have a S&W .22!!

Last edited by KuduBull; 02/06/11.

Marc
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Oh I'm not nitpickin' it rat. It's nearly as nice as the Monson Mass DW I bought fifteen years ago and that one was ANIB unfired. Still had the factory preservitive in it.

Now that I have it in hand I'm really rather pleased with it and the price I paid ($650). It's acctually nice enough I'm going to go ahead and have S&W letter it to determine the originality of the briliant blue and lanyard loop.

I'm no collector, so this will probably see holster time. But it will be in one of my own making, elkhide lined to prevent blue wear. wink

for themselves."
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very nice K-22. It ought to be a real shooter. Mine sure is.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you tell if that lanyard loop might actually be obscuring a sixth digit to the S/N?

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Then yer good to go Bull. My dad has a nice 18 from the 70's that I hope will someday join my K22.

Nope, no numbers obscured Rufus. The number under the barrel matches the butt number.

for themselves."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your question with the muzzle picture? I don't think that is the original front sight. I could easily be wrong, but I'd venture a guess that ramped front blade isn't original. With that said, they are GREAT handguns. I love mine, it will surely outshoot me.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beautiful gun!! I have 2 K22's and both shoot better than I do. Shoot it and enjoy it and then pass it on to someone in the family because it will be an heirloom.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by MOGC
Your question with the muzzle picture?

Oooops, seems I didn't pose my question.

Does anybody have any ideas wht that might be besides corrosion or carbon. Havn't tried a peice of copper and oil yet, but that stuff is stuborn.

Short of having had a refinish, the front sight must be original. The pins are flush and nearly invisible. I'm thinking it was special ordered along with the lanyard loop. A letter from S&W will surely tell.

for themselves."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,701 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.