Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
i have a pair of 20" 45/70 insert barrels coming from a guy. these are made by tanfoglio for the baikal/spartan 12ga sxs. anyone here have any experience with these or other full length 45/70 inserts?

also, if anyone has a baikal/spartan 12ga sxs w/ 20" 2 3/4" barrels and screw in chokes that they would like to sell, i'm looking for one to complete this project.

http://www.eaacorp.com/

look under the parts tab, then down to the long gun section

[Linked Image]

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
anyone?

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
That is neat.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very interesting.

1Minute
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Price, price, price please??? Don't leave me hanging!

Your right to live in a free society should be based solely on your willingness to defend it! Retired Military Vietnam Vet.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by freestate101
Price, price, price please??? Don't leave me hanging!

DEFFINATELY not for sale. in fact, i'm looking for a baikal/spartan shotgun to put them in!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
website says $159 A BARREL

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They sure look cool but I can only imagine the regulation of the barrels as the Baikal SXS rifles were known to have less than stellar regualtion.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I worked on one a few years ago. The customer fired it with some Corbon ammo and with the larger shotgun firing pin holes in the breach face the primer pierced and the escaping pressure blew the stock off it. He brought it to me to bush down the firing pin holes and turn down the pins. When I was done with it it was much safer and didn't even crater the primers.
Something to consider.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by reelman
They sure look cool but I can only imagine the regulation of the barrels as the Baikal SXS rifles were known to have less than stellar regualtion.

the barrels have various bushings on the muzzel end to regulate the barrels. hopefully this will make regulation fairly simple.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by kampfeld
I worked on one a few years ago. The customer fired it with some Corbon ammo and with the larger shotgun firing pin holes in the breach face the primer pierced and the escaping pressure blew the stock off it. He brought it to me to bush down the firing pin holes and turn down the pins. When I was done with it it was much safer and didn't even crater the primers.
Something to consider.

i was actually considering doing that same thing. can these actions take higher pressure loads like the corbon?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've fitted a set of these barrels for a shop here, I think they came from EAA? A real PITA, and the regulation of the 45 bbls was done with some goofy little spacers, cant remember exactly.(OK, just looked a the picture closer, and the little dodad at the muzzle is what I remember not working to well for regulation) I do remember the afore mentioned firing pin and primer concerns I had. I thought at the time that the hammer- guns left barrel would be a real suprise if an when the primer let go straight back in the face. Im not sure if those pins and bushings are gas check style or not? I think I would cut a gas relief channel in the breech face if there were any non-standard ammo experiments tried. some of the older double guns had a feature lke that.

I built a set of inserts from a couple of cheepy Numrich M-L tubes, chambered in 45/70, 24" long and turned excentric(bore off center) at the muzzle so I could regulate them before the extractor cuts were machined. It worked pretty good, regulated to 75yds, and resurrected and old Elsie with a set of wrung barrels. God it is heavy though. Still in the safe some where, havent had it out in Years..

NRA Benefactor
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by SOFMatchstaff
I do remember the afore mentioned firing pin and primer concerns I had. I thought at the time that the hammer- guns left barrel would be a real suprise if an when the primer let go straight back in the face. Im not sure if those pins and bushings are gas check style or not? I think I would cut a gas relief channel in the breech face if there were any non-standard ammo experiments tried. some of the older double guns had a feature lke that.

my thoughts exactly, and also why im looking for a izh43 without the hammers. plus, it looks better without them.

M
M
I own a couple of Baikal Bounty Hunters with Tangfolio 45-70 insers. One is solidly inserted, without the removable screw ends. I bought it that way and do not know who did the work. I have fired it with LeverEvolution Hornady 325 grain ammo and it handles that well. At 50 yards, each barrel groups well individually, but is apart about 5 inches. I've done nothing to develope loads and I guess a few sessions trying different loads might well help. Still, Graeme Wright's book shows double rifles have a far different consideration of "accurate" than bolts. "Git as close as ye can Laddie, then get 10 steps closer".

I also have another Bounty Hunter with the standard Tangfolio tubes. These you take in and out as desired. I know they shoot the same ammo above with no problem, but with the large firing pin openings I would be very concerned about pierced primers with Buffalo Bore or Corbon using Bounty Hunters. I surely would not go to the trouble of bushing the firing pin holes to fire hotter ammo. The standard SAAMI loads seem safe in this setup. If I wanted more power, I would get the regular Baikal MR221/Remington SPR 22 double rifle made in either 30-06 or 45-70 which handle heavier loads and is set up for modern ammo. IT IS ALSO FAR EASIER TO "REGULATE" AS IT IS FACTORY SETUP FOR IT AND CHANGEABLE BY THE OWNER. These guns do not look as cool as the inserts in a Bounty Hunter shotgun, but my two SPR 22s function better than the Bounty Hunters.

My thoughts? First, it is an absolute shame the Tangfolios are not produced to be used in the 26 inch IZH 43 double barrel. The longer barrels give the proper look. The short 20 inch barrels of the Bounty Hunter leave me wanting more length for appearance sake. I suppose the extra fps would be an added plus. Creating a custom screw end to fit the short Tangfolio tubes to a longer barrel could be done, but cost becomes a factor. It just seems easier to get the SPR 22.
Second, the extractors supplied have poor heat treatment and bend out of shape. They need some attention to create a better operation of reliabilty.
Next, the rifles with those big 12 ga shotgun barrels and the 45-70 inserts are real heavy and muzzle heavy as well. I think mine is over 9 pounds, and not 'lively". I suppose using the 26 inch barrels would make it worse.
In addition, one of mine has a single selective trigger and the other is double triggered. Both work well, though the unaltered pull and break can be heavy and gritty. They clean up well with some work.
Finally, though the Tangfolios come with two sets of barrel regulators, I'm not really sure they can be used for real close regulation, but I have not experimented enough to prove that.

In spite of the above I really enjoy these guns. And enjoyment is why I shoot. They function reasonably well, many have decent wood, the stock can be altered for a far better appearance easily, and they are the cheapest double rifle one can buy in a great caliber, 45-70. I'd love to rechamber to 45-90, but not sure of the safety as the tubes are pretty trim.

I had the rib on one of mine dove-tailed and inserted a 3 blade rear express sight and added a flat-bottomed classic front sight and it transforms the appearance, turning a shotgun appearance into a double rifle. It is a must-do. The sights supplied with the Tangfolio tubes are junk and should be heaved. Add a classic recoil pad, steel grip cap, add sling swivels and leather carry strap and you become Robt Ruark on the cheap!
They are a lot of fun and playing with these things isn't the cut and dried propostion having another Rem 700 presents.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (12344mag, 22kHornet, 160user, 257man, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,849
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.