Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4908229 02/06/11
L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Had you been a cow hand, armed guard, Pinkerton, sheriff, U.S. Marshal, miner or whatever in your prime during the years of, say, 1878 through 1900, what would have been your sidearm(s) of choice?

Seriously, what profession would you have liked to have had and what iron would you have carried? What rifle/shotgun might have been on your horse?

Party poopers or those who take themselves too seriously can find another post if this one isn't up to spec.

Landrum

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If it were 1878 and I were in Oregon, I'd have had a Greener or Purdey 12ga SxS, 28" barrels; a Colt Model P in 44-40 and a Winchester 1876 in 45-75. As for profession, I would like to have been a frontier circuit riding judge.

Last edited by Oregon45; 02/06/11.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Landrum
Had you been a cow hand, armed guard, Pinkerton, sheriff, U.S. Marshal, miner or whatever in your prime during the years of, say, 1878 through 1900, what would have been your sidearm(s) of choice?

Seriously, what profession would you have liked to have had and what iron would you have carried? What rifle/shotgun might have been on your horse?

Party poopers or those who take themselves too seriously can find another post if this one isn't up to spec.

Landrum
Colt "Peacemaker" .44-40, 5.5" barrel, with matching Winchester 73 carbine in same caliber, and a Parker, side by side, hammerless action, 12 ga.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had I been there, I would like to have been a rancher...with a big spread and a bunch of cattle. My rifle of choice would've been a Winchester Model 1894 in .30 WCF, and my revolver of choice would've been a Colt SAA in .45 caliber.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Landrum
Colt "Peacemaker" .44-40, 5.5" barrel, with matching Winchester 73 carbine in same caliber, and a Parker, side by side, hammerless action, 12 ga.

You would never have left the city...

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by sgt217

Landrum

Give me the wide open spaces.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would have been a cow hand, I am now anyway. I would have done my best to carry a colt 44/40 alongside a Winchester 1873.

A hunter gets his deer. A good hunter can make long shots. A great hunter likes it up close and personal!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I woulda been a bum........I am now so....

and yes, I'm the man.............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If a man has to dream......Railroad President handsdown. And I'd hire my shootin done! laugh

I reality I'm betting I would of been a tradesmen of some sort. Maybe owned a dry goods store. Guns? Shotgun, Sharps 45-70 and a 1875 Remington.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Landrum
You'd die from cholera.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well if I was in law enforcement as I was in this life then a pair of Colt SAAs in .38-40, 4 3/4" barrels with ivory grips... Any Winchester carbine, a 92 would be nice, in the same caliber with a double barreled shotgun...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hmm... I'd probably have been a writer for "dime novels" and would have carried a .44-40 Merwin Hulbert revolver, and a .44-40 Colt Lightning rifle.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RJM
Well if I was in law enforcement as I was in this life then a pair of Colt SAAs in .38-40, 4 3/4" barrels with ivory grips... Any Winchester carbine, a 92 would be nice, in the same caliber with a double barreled shotgun...

Bob

well rjm, you ain't too far off the mark.
My father ran cattle in the 20's in arizona, and was in law enforcement too for a while.
He had a colt SAA in 38.40, no ivory grips and a winchester to match.
I have the pistol the rifle was stolen before my time.
Never asked him about a shotgun, per se, but he did tell me it probably killed more people in HIS fathers generation here then anything else.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by sgt217

Landrum

Give me the wide open spaces.

Of North Florida, or your native NYC, right?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob
My father ran cattle in the 20's in arizona, and was in law enforcement too for a while.
Never asked him about a shotgun, per se, but he did tell me it probably killed more people in HIS fathers generation here then anything else.
My granddad used to tell a story of a shooting he witnessed in Atoka, Oklahoma around 1912 or so. People would come to town and park their rigs in wagon lots. There was a store owner whose store bordered one of these wagon lots. The store owner had an ongoing dispute with a farmer/cattle rancher who happened to be in this particular lot. (The details of the dispute don't really matter and I don't know them anyway.) At any rate, the dispute boiled over to the point of the store owner shooting the rancher in the back while he (the rancher) was in the lot. The store owner used a .25-20 of all things (probably a Winchester '92). The rancher wasn't felled by the shot and immediately grabbed his own pistol and stormed over to the store where the store owner was struggling to chamber a fresh round into his rifle -- it jammed. The store owner was trying to get cover and begged for his life, but too late -- the rancher blew his brains out. The whole episode occurred in public. I don't think any charges were filed, but it wouldn't really matter if they were: the rancher died from infection about a month later.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably would have upgraded after the cartridge guns had proven themselves from cap and ball to this Russian. Probably wouldn't have needed another sixgun.

[Linked Image]

Probably would have added a Colt Pocket in 38 Colt to carry in saloons since I am a Gentleman and a Sporting Man.

I would have bought an 1866 Winchester after they'd proven themselves too. Probably about 1868 or so. Probably a carbine for my saddle gun.

I wouldn't have need of a shotgun. Instead I'd probably have a Buffalo Gun tucked away somewhere for my heavy artillery. Something like this.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob
My granddad used to tell a story of a shooting he witnessed in Atoka, Oklahoma around 1912 or so. People would come to town and park their rigs in wagon lots. There was a store owner whose store bordered one of these wagon lots. The store owner had an ongoing dispute with a farmer/cattle rancher who happened to be in this particular lot. (The details of the dispute don't really matter and I don't know them anyway.) At any rate, the dispute boiled over to the point of the store owner shooting the rancher in the back while he (the rancher) was in the lot. The store owner used a .25-20 of all things (probably a Winchester '92). The rancher wasn't felled by the shot and immediately grabbed his own pistol and stormed over to the store where the store owner was struggling to chamber a fresh round into his rifle -- it jammed. The store owner was trying to get cover and begged for his life, but too late -- the rancher blew his brains out. The whole episode occurred in public. I don't think any charges were filed, but it wouldn't really matter if they were: the rancher died from infection about a month later.
I used to work for the Missouri, Kansas and Texas railroad and was headquartered in Atoka for quite awhile.

For awhile, I owned an 1892 Winchester that supposedly had been in a museum in Ada for a long time. Supposedly, there had been an Indian Sheriff in Coalgate, I believe it was, and he had used it to kill two men and wound another (or kill one and wound another-I forget) when a couple of outlaws tried to rob the bank. It was a 32 WCF. I tried to get documentation for it but never could. I finally gave up and it went down the river in some trade or another.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Of North Florida, or your native NYC, right?
Never lived in a city proper, and certainly not New York City. Grew up in Suffolk County New York. I know what wide open spaces are like, though. I went on a five day elk hunt in the Colorado Rockies about eight years ago. Some great memories. Thing that most amazed me was the night sky. Feels like you're in outer space looking up at those stars at night. You've never seen the Milky Way if you haven't seen it at night in the Colorado Rockies. Great times. Rode horses out from camp each morning before dawn as high up the mountains as they'd take us (I've been riding since I was about eight, both Western and English), then we'd tie them to a tree and climb on foot from there. Would love to do it again one of these days.

[Linked Image]

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
From what I have read the .38-40 was one of the most popular fighting calibers of the old west because it was the lowest recoiling of the gunfighting rounds that would still just about guaranty the end of hostilities if you hit someone. Anything smaller than that and you were taking your life in your hands.

Ballistically it is about the same as the .40 S&W....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I guess I'll be the lone wolf and say Id probably be a bank robber, maybe trains, but banks seem like they would be easier. Stagecoaches for sure. Id spend most of my loot on more guns gambling and women....much like today smile

Last edited by warpig602; 02/07/11.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 1minute, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,191
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.