Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Savage_99
All good and valid observations above.

A company can indeed maximize profit with an old investment. Its a right answer.

However in my world Sierra seemed big and then when controlled expanding bullets, plastic meplats and partitions came out they ignored them.

They lost me when, it seemed to me, that they did not put the plastic metlats on bullets until after Nosler did.

Well, did everyone lose you because no mainstream bullet company used resin tips until after Nosler....?

If you talk to anyone that works for Sierra and tell them they have "lost the market", they'd get a good chuckle.
I also think some of those other companies you mention would be searching for a newer (and probably an inferior) source for competition bullet jackets...

I think your idea of success for Sierra is something they have wisely avoided..

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lost the market? Nah. I think it was the Obamarama craze, caught everyone by surprise. Here in Montana, primer supplies are finally stabilizing, but the prices still stink.

I still shoot Blitz Kings because in certain of my toys, BKs shoot the best and blow up the best.

As for Hornady's "rejects," I have made two buys of them and they have shot just as well as first-order bullets for me.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
However in my world Sierra seemed big and then when controlled expanding bullets, plastic meplats and partitions came out they ignored them.

They lost me when, it seemed to me, that they did not put the plastic metlats on bullets until after Nosler did.

I've used Sierra for over 30 years and still do. One of the reasons I stay with Sierra is they still offer lead tip Spitzer style bullets. I've tried the plastic tip bullets and just haven't found them to be as deadly as the lead tips. I have always counted on the Sierra lead tips to give me one shot kills on varmints, something I can't say about the plastic stuff.

I do shoot plastic tips but I don't prefer them. My least favorite varmint bullet is a hollow point. In my opinion you never know what an hp is going to do so I quit using them a long time ago.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by foogle
Hornady used to have factory rejects available for purchase, and I think they still have. I was never aware of Sierra having factory rejects for sale. It always bothered me hornady had so many reject to sell while the other manufactures did not. It has always seemed to me that Sierra consistently for years have had the most accurate, repeatable bullets available from a large manufacturer.

Sierra has a "seconds" store on the premises, they sell "blems" by the pound there. Some of the .30 caliber bullets I've bought there outshot the boxed bullets handily. They are mighty good bullets, sold at a decent price, too.

As for the OP, I'm still shooting a lot of Sierras every year, although I have a hard time finding them sometimes. The 39gr. BlitzKing in .204" is THE bullet to beat in most .204 rifles, it's the gold standard among the 'regular' bullets. That keeps them in the "hard to find" category a lot of the time. Sierra seems to be doing fine, as far as I can tell.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think that the "seconds" from all of the major companies are cosmetic blems.

Aim for the exit hole.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hornadys shoot well for me but they tend to copper foul more than the Sierras.

I buy about equal quantities from each of them.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The premise of the thread reminded me of a kid in my school in the early 50s. He once observed the Edsels must be selling like crazy, the local dealer's lot was full of 'em; not quite.

Last edited by boomtube; 02/08/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Edsels? Early 50's? Maybe the late 50's? grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Around here the shelves are all green. I still use Sierra and they shoot well. I place them second after Berger. The problem I have is finding Berger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sierra is a good old company that has lost the market. Is there any hope? What should they do? Do they care? Now that lead is under attack I wonder.

Stupid assumption. Stupid thread.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Edsels? Early 50's? Maybe the late 50's?"

Yeah, you're right. It was so long ago I had forgotten just when it was. I was in high school when my friend made that observation and we both graduated in '59.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sierra has been sending a bunch of bullets to the sand pile since 02.
.338 on down for rifle
.451 on down for pistol

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Last I heard, about a year and a half ago, was Sierra was running 3 shifts a day, seven days a week, making one million bullets a day, and still couldn't keep up.
I submit that the reason there were no Sierra bullets on the shelf is due to sales alone; lots of target and varmint shooters here use Sierra bullets.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have plenty of Sierras on the shelves here in Phoenix. I buy in bulk off the net but I do keep an eye on the local stuff just in case.

Greg

GLShooter
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
The big gun shop I was in this week had very few Sierra bullets. They had rows and rows of Hornady and other brands including a large selection of bulk bullets.

When I started out reloading in the 50's Sierra was the talk of the town. I shot them for game, pests and target.

Recently a rifle was not shooting well and drastic changes in loading technique were tried. I saw an old box of Sierras and thought: "Heck I might as well shoot these up, at least Sierras shoot."

Sierra is a good old company that has lost the market. Is there any hope? What should they do? Do they care? Now that lead is under attack I wonder.

(Thick head + thin experience) x Stupid assumption = The OP is a [bleep]...

Ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many stores, many observations, one customer.

Also I don't hear much Sierra chatter on the forums. Its Barnes, Berger, Hornady etc.

I think they have missed the boat on premiums. Granted you do not need them for all types of hunting but they refuse to get with the times and make a premium bullet.

Some people are looking elsewhere, especially for big game bullets.

Personally I have no use for them.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
this thread is in really bad taste, bashing a really good company....shame on you!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look on the bright side, Keith.
More Sierras for US!

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by keith
this thread is in really bad taste, bashing a really good company....shame on you!

They are good, nobody denied that. They are just stuck in 1950's technology that is all. The only company stuck there!!!!
Let us not forget they pioneered the jacket core separation concept and nobody does it better! grin They should patent it! Let's face it when you mention jacket core separation Sierra instantly comes to mind!

And it is not bashing them it is constructive criticism. Get with the times guys. Sierra stalk sux!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tested 16 hunting bullets in my .221 Fireball. The two most accurate bullets of the bunch turned out to be the 40 gr BlitzKing and the 50 gr Blitz Med. Vel.

Both Sierra's.

Who would have guessed?

I think I like Sierra's just fine and think they are a good company.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 30 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,446
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.