Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a friend that is wanting to replace the barrel and stock on his 10/22 with one of the new carbon fiber barrels and a composite stock. I think that Butler Creek makes a combo with both items in it but I didn't know what kind of quality to expect. I was just wondering what company that yall use when you do such a thing. Also do any of you have a spare 25 round 10/22 clip that you would want to get rid of. I am in school and on a budget and all the ones that I am seeing are around $50 to $60. That just seems a little pricey to me but what do I know. Thanks for the help guys. Ryan

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ryan,
<br> I had a PacNor barrel that I put on a 10/22, that I was extremely happy with. It was "match chambered" by Darrel Holland. It would put 10 shots in 3/8" at 30 yds. Lost it to a home break-in. Bought a Ruger factory heavy barrel. Just didn't compare. Some day I'll build another one, with PacNor barrel...
<br> Good shootin, vbshootinrange.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bought 2 butler creek heavy barrel and 'rubber' stock combos for my and my dad's ruger 10/22 from midway for about $100. BEST money ever spent on it. Shoots real good! Cheapest and best upgrade you will ever make. both rifles witll shoot a 1/4 inch hole at 50 yards with the right ammo all day long.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll have o second that... I bought a BC when they first came out. It took probably 10 minutes to install. A real nail driver.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I must concur,that Butler Creek somehow offers incredible accuracy,for meager funds............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Big Stick - I haven't been on this board for a long time but decided to come on today because I'm in the market for a new squirrel gun. Lo and behold, saw your post. You've probably forgotten but you influenced me to buy a Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08 and I've been very pleased with it.
<br>
<br>Squirrel gun - I've wondered about the new .17. The ballistics are impressive although the price of the ammo discourages all day plinking. That's not to say I'd spend all day plinking - probably won't. Certainly not until my granddaughter (20 months) and grandson (2 months) get old enough to go with me . . . CAN'T WAIT!
<br>
<br>Of course, I've also thought about a .22. I have a couple now. One is an old Remington pump which belonged to my grandfather. It's a shooter but the stock is way too small for me plus I won't want to put a scope on it. I also have a very beat up but accurate Stevens bolt action I bought used over 40 years ago. I added a 4x Weaver way back then. I'd never sell either of these. It's just time to add one more tool to the box.
<br>
<br>I started out thinking I'd get a bolt action but haven't seen anything I like so far. Was disappointed when I put a Kimber up to my shoulder. Didn't feel right. That disappointment saved me a lot of money that I really didn't want to spend anyway. :-)
<br>
<br>I've looked at the 10/22 and have heard good things about them. I read somewhere that the earlier models are supposedly more accurate than the new ones. This thread about Butler Creek intrigues me. Does it make economic sense to buy a new 10/22 and immediately buy BC parts for it? Accuracy is very important to me. I can do my part if the rifle will do it's part.
<br>
<br>Any suggestions which 10/22 to buy and which BC parts to buy? The BC site says it takes 10 minutes at home to make the swap. Is this really true for a guy who has never tried doing anything like this before?
<br>
<br>Any other make/model suggestions?
<br>
<br>What about a recommendation for a scope?
<br>
<br>By the way, this post is not a private message to Big Stick. I'm interested in any and all comments.
<br>
<br>Thanks,
<br>Mike in Michigan
<br>
<br>P.S. I still have your awesome video tape! I'll go hunting in Alaska someday. Last year my attentions got diverted from hunting somewhat. I bought a new 2001 Honda GoldWing. Love that bike! Have a Bushtec trailer on order to pull behind it. I'm hoping that will encourage my bride of 33+ years to want to go touring more often. Who knows, maybe we'll even ride to Alaska someday. It would be a whole lot more fun on the bike than by jet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two McMillan custom drop-in stocks for a 10/22, and one blank. I could be weasled out of the custom drop-in for $150 and the blank for $100.
<br>
<br>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mike,
<br>
<br>Certainly I remember. I hope business is good for you.
<br>
<br>The BC parts ARE that easy to swap. I like the Hogue overmoulded stock,coupled with a BC heavy barrel. Slap that on a used 10/22 action and you will have a most serious squirrel rifle! All for a modest investment.........
<br>
<br>Rick,
<br>
<br>What pattern is the complete drop-in 10/22 stock. Perhaps I need it!
<br>
<br>Did you get your newest listing of inventory printed yet? If so,I had not seen it and am still wanting a couple stocks,as I just got a couple new toys in the last week. With luck you'll have something suitable on hand.
<br>
<br>Obliged...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stick:
<br>
<br>The pattern on those 10/22's is the Sporter. The CDI's are already gone. I have two blanks left.
<br>
<br>The new list (99% done) will be up in about 5.
<br>
<br>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rick,
<br>
<br>Thanks for the 10/22 heads-up. I'll pace the halls,awaiting "THE List"(grin)...................

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mike99-
<br>
<br>On one of my 10/22 I picked it up at a Pawn shop for $100. It was dragged through both world wars and behind a truck in the CO mountains for many years before I got it. The stock was crap so was the barrel. The only thing I wanted it for was the action. Put the BC to it and it shoots like a dream!
<br>
<br>I would recommend looking for a real beater to modify with stock and barrel.
<br>
<br>Yes it is a no brainer. Butler Creek even supplied the allen wrench I needed and a set of directions. (I think, or maybe it was so easy I though I had directions! At the time I had never done any "gunsmithing" work. Well, needless to say me and my 10 thumbs got the job done!)

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have yet to see, any new .22 that would not be ample -as is- for taking squirrle. How else could they sell them.
<br>
<br>However, my usual practice is to find sign and sit - waiting for them to come out to me.
<br>
<br>If you habitually take shots in excess of 50 yards, I'm sure you may find a conversion barrel that is of some benefit ...
<br>
<br>You can now buy you're Factory Ruger's with a target barrel already on them. I think you will be hard pressed with time and money to put one together yourself for what they sell them pre assembled.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Butler Creek barrel,will flat stomp Ruger's "Target" 10/22 offering. No comparison..............

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks everyone for the help. I'll start by looking for a used 10/22. There's a guy close to my office that sells mostly used guns. I'm sure he can find one for me.
<br>
<br>Stick - I'm sending you an email too. Hope your address hasn't changed.
<br>
<br>Mike

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good. I have a Butler Creek on mine. I had actually considered trading it for an all factory rifle. Glad to here I'm better off with what I have.

Samuel Adams

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I stopped in at the gun dealer down the street from my office. He said my chances of finding a used 10/22 for under $125 was slim and none. He recommended I go to a local sporting goods store known to discount new firearms and said I could probably buy a new one for under $150.
<br>
<br>Right now I'm on vacation so will look into this further when we return home.
<br>
<br>Mike

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Gentlmen the question was the best parts the build the utimate 10/22. I have the 2 most accurate 10/22 on the Team Top Gun. One built and owned by SSG Bob Baldwin team captain, and SSG Craig Rasmussen 2001 Shooter of the year. They are gun pros but not gun smiths but they both did a fine job on their guns. Both gun maxed the difficult Black Death target, and they are the only two semi-autos to do so. Bob had about $1000 in his gun and Craig may have $2000 in his. I'll get them both to tell you more about them. I know Craigs gun weights 7.5 pounds and max the BDT in less than 30 seconds.

hi deerhunter, im new here but thought i would chirp in i hope you dont mind! i have a 10/22 that i put a Kimber barrel on in stainless, i use a Fajen walnut thumbhole stock. a Volquartsen hammer and spring kit and a bushnell sportveiw 4x12x40ao scope and it shoots 1/4 groups at 25 yards all day long! a couple of weeks ago i maxed the Black Death Target with this rifle using Federal ammo (bulk) from wallyworld. just saying you might check out a Kimber barrel, i havent seen one in a while i hope they still produce them. i would really like to have another one! does anyone know if they still make them and if so where i can find one? ok ill shutup now, goodluck with that 10/22......rimfire

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After reading all these posts on B.C. I decided to go that route myself. For 1/3 the price of Pac-Nor super match stainless.
<br> I've got a butler creek stainless barrel and hogue stock on order and should be here by the end of next week.
<br> On my last Pac-Nor, I had to put in a sharper extractor. Will I need to with the B.C. ?
<br> What ammo are you guys getting the best accuracy with?
<br> Thanks in advance, and good shootin, vbshootinrange.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never had a problem with the factory extractor.
<br>
<br>I can cover a group with my finger at 25 yards using plain Winchester Wildcats. Never even tried match rounds. I just shoot for fun.

Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

149 members (achadwick, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 13 invisible), 978 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,921
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.