Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Was discussing with a co-worker about final plans, etc. He wants to be cremated, I feel it's way too industrial and impersonal. Like removing any trace that you ever existed from the planet. Might as well be thrown in an unmarked grave. He's an atheist, though, and doesn't care, whereas I feel that whatever your religious beliefs, it helps the family grieve and cope to be able to visit your burial plot.

Anyone else weirded out by this, and the trend towards resomation, where your remains are put in a stainless tube and basically digested by chemicals, and then you are flushed into the sewer system??

I'd like to be buried, thank you very much.

Last edited by burner; 02/07/11.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Of greater concern to me is how many bills I leave for my family to pay. Cremation is far cheaper. Your ashes can be put in any kind of container if they wish to keep or bury them. We have a semi-family cemetery with plenty of buried urns. Most cemeteries allow several urns to be buried in a single plot, further reducing the cost.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I feel kinda weirded out about being put in a box and dropped in the ground...

1 and done
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'm not worried about getting into the grave I'm more worried about getting out of the grave.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
stacking corpses in multi-story burial vaults is probably efficient. cemetaries are becoming quite inefficient if you want to project population (and therefore deaths) into the future.

an organic cemetary is an effort minimize the impact..no embalming fluids, etc., getting into the water supply.

cremation usually depends upon expensive fossil fuels. i don't know??

what about freezing the bodies, loading them on a ocean going ship, and feed the carcass through a huge "wood" chipper into the ocean to feed the flora?? would this be cost effective??

how would the deceased's family feel about this? how would the fish feel?

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Cremate me and load me in to 12ga shells. I want to go out with a BANG!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tom264 aka "night of the living dead".... lol

1 and done
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cremation not so much. My grandfather was cremated, he hated the idea of people walking up to his casket and saying "Wow, he looks so good."

Odd stuff around here, a lot of people are cremated. They get shipped to Ketchikan and then the family members have to fly down and pick up the ashes. Last year I put my bag in the overhead bin and someone's ashes were up there.

I've toyed with the idea of being cremated then having my ashes shot out of a cannon. Call it morbid, but I plan to have to really odd ball requests written into my will.

If I ever get rich I'm going to make people jump through some hoops.

Deal with it.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Don't have a problem with it. Ashes to ashes.

After a few years, with regular burial, the only remains will be a little concrete and rusted steel.

You can still have a burial plot/stone and bury the ashes their in an urn/ whatever. Will give the family a place to go pay their respects. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer the idea of cremation. Actually, I'd love to have a Viking funeral ship and be set adrift with the appropriate rituals, but I don't think the Coast Guard would agree with that.

Rather have them burn my bones than have them dug up in the far distant future.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Not weirded out by cremation at all. We had my father cremated when he died (at his request). We then spread his ashes at his old deer blind, three of his favorite fishing spots, his favorite mushroom spot and my sister had some ashes buried near his mother and fathers grave. She tends to visit grave sites to mourn, and needed that. It didn't matter that his body wasn't there, as a grave site is a grave site. Me, I remember him while hunting and fishing. I believe that the thing that matters is the remembrances of surviving family and friends, not the presence of remains. The remains should be treated with dignity, but they are not the person. When I go, it's up to my family to dispose of me how they see fit, but I'd prefer cremation if it's still done then.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Even if you are cremated you can be buried in a plot/grave of your choosing, and your family can visit you at any given time.

My choice is cremation, my reasonings, personal.

I will not be buried, but rather part of my ashes will be scattered amongst the ruins of Castell Dinas BrοΏ½n which is a medieval castle standing high on a hill above the town of Llangollen in Denbighshire, Wales. The other part will be scattered across the waters of the River Dee in the same town of Llangollen.

It's the only place I have ever truly felt at total peace, and therefore it is where I wish my remains to rest.

Lynn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
put me out like a dead bull,and shoot woofs off me. laugh

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
How many relatives or others graves have you visited lately?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by highridge1

Me too. Burn my azz......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cremation, aside from the ashes to ashes thing it is a lot less expensive on the family and what small estate I will leave. Burying an urn can be done with a post hole digger rather than having a grave opened & then back filled, another cost savings. I can't take my money with me and would like to leave as much as I can for my survivors.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Hubert

Actually at least 3-4 in the last three months or so...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Hubert

Several, and I do as often as I can.

Lynn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by highridge1

+many

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Grandmother was cremated. She was from down in Texas and every time she came up to visit us, she always wanted to go to a certain little waterfall that was up in the mountains and not many people go to it. Didnt matter how many times she had already been there, she still wanted to go everytime. So we thought there was no better way than to spread her ashes into the creek that came from the bottom of the water fall.

Like someone has already mentioned, I want to be cremated and then a little of my ashes loaded into a cartridge and shot. I dont know how safe it would be or how well it would work but its a thought!

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 41 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,723
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.