Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know many thought it would happen by now, but the military has learned all the ins and outs of the Beretta, and Beretta has done a lot of product improvement. So the Beretta 92 may have a lot more life left in it than many of us thought it would have. Still, we all know it will be replaced at some point. When that happens, what do you think is a good candidate to be the replacement? I didn�t say, what would you like the military to pick, rather what do you think will end up being the replacement?

My money is on Taurus as the manufacturer, and probably some version of the OSS pistol.

[Linked Image]

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Just like the Beretta, it'll go to whomever buys the right/most congresscritters and procurement monkeys.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I know many thought it would happen by now, but the military has learned all the ins and outs of the Beretta, and Beretta has done a lot of product improvement. So the Beretta 92 may have a lot more life left in it than many of us thought it would have. Still, we all know it will be replaced at some point. When that happens, what do you think is a good candidate to be the replacement? I didn�t say, what would you like the military to pick, rather what do you think will end up being the replacement?

My money is on Taurus as the manufacturer, and probably some version of the OSS pistol.

[Linked Image]
[bleep] some Brazilian company. We don't need no new service pistol.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

They should go back to the 1911 in 45 ACP or Super. Hell they never ever should of left it, The Marines didn't

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would hope that the next service pistol would be manufactured here in the good ole USA! Since we have the M4 I don't see the need for a pistol. With exceptions for military police and officers.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by whelennut
I would hope that the next service pistol would be manufactured here in the good ole USA! Since we have the M4 I don't see the need for a pistol. With exceptions for military police and officers.
...and there are plenty of M9's, 1911's and SIG's inventoried for them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Let's see.....we went from the 1911 in .45acp to the Beretta 92 in 9mm.......if this trend continues we might go with something like a Jennings in .380 or .32acp (and our government will pay $500 each for them).

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

One can hope...

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Probably something by FN.

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's what I was thinking.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I really like the FN-H 45 ACP. 13 round mag in a relatively slim grip. I hope it's not too much to ask to go back to the 45. Otherwise they might as well stay with Beretta. I'd be hard pressed not to bring up the Ruger SR9. Great luck with mine and the grip is very slim.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
More likely it will be something like the 5.7x28mm

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I think it will either be the Glock 21 or Sig p220 with threaded barrel. With the use of suppressors on the rise their next gun will be sub sonic from the get go.

I guess they could just use the H&K 45 that some of the military has used.

VA has it right though. It will be who ever pays the most to congress.

Dink

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I could like with the H&K 45, but if someone tried to force me to carry a Glock into harms way I would resign my commission

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by TexasRick
Let's see.....we went from the 1911 in .45acp to the Beretta 92 in 9mm.......if this trend continues we might go with something like a Jennings in .380 or .32acp (and our government will pay $500 each for them).

Same trend with the M-14 vs M-16.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So many seem to be lacking reading comprehension. I didn't ask "What do you want to see" or what do you "hope" will be the next service pistol. I asked what do you think WILL BE the next service pistol.

Some got it right, but several just read my post the way they wanted it to read.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I think that most are missing a major point. Most people that get issued a pistol in the service branches are in support roles and very, very minimally trained.

For guys who actually go in harms way intentionally (infantry, etc), I would prefer to see something along the lines of a polymer, high capacity auto with unit level armorer support for everything, including frame replacement. NO hand fitted parts.

The HK45 and HK45C are getting a lot of attention right now. In fact I do know of one navy unit that is fielding the C model.

As far as service wide issue, who knows. I would like to see a Glock in 9mm or 45 acp, but there are so many piss poor pistol shooters and grossly irresponsible service members currently in the system, that any gun that lacked a traditional external safety would be a poor choice for the majority of service people.

There is a reason why even in Iraq the vast majority of soldiers are not allowed to have any live ammunition on them or in their weapons, while on base, which fortunately 90% will never leave a base when deployed. I cannot tell you how many times in a single day I have had some soldier point their weapon at me while at a PX or DFAC.

Most have useless "coolguy" 3 point slings that have the gun held horizontally. They muzzle sweep everyone on a constant basis. The majority of their NCOs could care less. Gun handling skills are not stressed at all for the most part.

I got a little off topic there, sorry.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Before the US military considered the Glock, they would seriously need to address the take down procedure, or there will be lots of GI�s with holes in their hands (just as there are many cops with holes in their hands). And as built, I strongly doubt the military would allow the average soldier to carry a Glock with a round in the chamber. Oh they may at first, but it would change after a few ND�s. When the 1911 was in service, even though it can be carried quite safely in condition 1, the military required their soldiers to carry it in condition 3, as a last ditch moron control.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the Joint Combat Pistol/Combat Pistol (CP) solicitation from 2006 is any indication it will have to be a production pistol. The military isn't interested in funding an R&D project.

The Glock 21SF wouldn't make the cut because they don't offer an external safety as the CP spec's require. Based on the pistols entered into the CP competition, my vote on the front runners would be the HK45, Sig P220 Combat, FNP45-USG, and the S&W M&P 45.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I think that most are missing a major point. Most people that get issued a pistol in the service branches are in support roles and very, very minimally trained.

For guys who actually go in harms way intentionally (infantry, etc), I would prefer to see something along the lines of a polymer, high capacity auto with unit level armorer support for everything, including frame replacement. NO hand fitted parts.

The HK45 and HK45C are getting a lot of attention right now. In fact I do know of one navy unit that is fielding the C model.

As far as service wide issue, who knows. I would like to see a Glock in 9mm or 45 acp, but there are so many piss poor pistol shooters and grossly irresponsible service members currently in the system, that any gun that lacked a traditional external safety would be a poor choice for the majority of service people.

There is a reason why even in Iraq the vast majority of soldiers are not allowed to have any live ammunition on them or in their weapons, while on base, which fortunately 90% will never leave a base when deployed. I cannot tell you how many times in a single day I have had some soldier point their weapon at me while at a PX or DFAC.

Most have useless "coolguy" 3 point slings that have the gun held horizontally. They muzzle sweep everyone on a constant basis. The majority of their NCOs could care less. Gun handling skills are not stressed at all for the most part.

I got a little off topic there, sorry.

No, you were/are SQUARELY on topic.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (160user, 1badf350, 2500HD, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,921
Posts18,498,465
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.