Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Mackay Sagebrush don't they load a special 160 grain bullet in the 9mm to make it sub sonic?

Not that suppressors really matter I guess for infantry but I have a feeling what ever pistol is next will have a threaded barrel and be chambered in 45.

Dink

GB1

GunGeek Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DINK
Mackay Sagebrush don't they load a special 160 grain bullet in the 9mm to make it sub sonic?

Dink
147's sir.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
If the Joint Combat Pistol/Combat Pistol (CP) solicitation from 2006 is any indication it will have to be a production pistol. The military isn't interested in funding an R&D project.

The Glock 21SF wouldn't make the cut because they don't offer an external safety as the CP spec's require. Based on the pistols entered into the CP competition, my vote on the front runners would be the HK45, Sig P220 Combat, FNP45-USG, and the S&W M&P 45.
That solicitation didn't last long before they pulled it because for the most part, what they were looking for wasn't really out there.

If you ask me, the 2006 solicitation was to plant the seed, let manufacturers get such models going, and the the military will give it a few years for the competition to weed itself out, leaving the strongest for the next round of solicitation.

I supspect the next one will be very similar to the last, but may have a few differences.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm not sure I'm reading it right but sounds to me like they are looking at the 45 now. That's the biggest thing I would like to see. Good list of guns. Lots on their I could live with, and a couple I have.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The Special Operation Command operators have their own purchasing authority.

For the average servicemen the M9/M9A1 and M11 are fine for them. What those pistols need is Federal Expanding FMJ 9mm ammo. That and monthly pistol practice instead of annual.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think the HK .45 would make the cut- the grip is too big for shooters with small hands. I would lean more towards the Springfield XD series with the interchangeable backstraps. BTW, Glock did produce a design with an external design for the trials (insider info from a friend at Glock in Smyrna).

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know where it will be made or what caliber it will be, but I'm betting that it will be of an Austrian design.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
So many seem to be lacking reading comprehension. I didn't ask "What do you want to see" or what do you "hope" will be the next service pistol. I asked what do you think WILL BE the next service pistol.

Some got it right, but several just read my post the way they wanted it to read.

I think they will come to their senses and go with a 1911 in 45. It worked well for them for about 75 years and despite the claims to the contrary it is one of if not the best made today

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by DINK

Not that suppressors really matter I guess for infantry but I have a feeling what ever pistol is next will have a threaded barrel and be chambered in 45.

Dink

Dink,

147s are standard for 9mm subsonic. I honestly do not see a shift away from the M9 for a very, very long time. What I would SPECULATE is that individual units will more and more likely augment their armories with whatever tool they see fit to get a job done.

Much like now, where some mil units purchase glocks or motorbikes or 4 wheelers, units will be given more lattitude to equip as they see fit. A new pistol will likely be added as an option, rather than an all out replacement. At least that is my guess for the immediate future.

Quite frankly I really have no idea what will happen. My guess is just as likely to be wrong as the next guys.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jwp475
So many seem to be lacking reading comprehension. I didn't ask "What do you want to see" or what do you "hope" will be the next service pistol. I asked what do you think WILL BE the next service pistol.

Some got it right, but several just read my post the way they wanted it to read.

I think they will come to their senses and go with a 1911 in 45. It worked well for them for about 75 years and despite the claims to the contrary it is one of if not the best made today

JWP,

As much as I love the beautiful chunk of steel that is the 1911, there are logistical issues with fielding them. I would be quite surprised if we saw a mass re-issue of the 1911.

As someone pointed out, what is needed is emphasis on pistol skills, service wide. At least that is my conclusion from my observations.

I know I could use some more range time.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have no idea what the next service handgun will be, but I will venture a guess that it will be striker fired and have a polymer frame.

I haven't read the 2006 specs, so a couple of questions:

Is NATO compatibility still an issue?

Is there any requirement for a round that will defeat body armor?

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
XD-45??

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My guess is somthing from Baretta or from FN.
I don't see the military using anything without a manual safety.
This will eliminate lots of pistols.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Gadfly
I have no idea what the next service handgun will be, but I will venture a guess that it will be striker fired and have a polymer frame.

I do not know the requiments, but I agree.
It will be a polymer frame, striker fired pistol.

It will be modular design.
And I think the 9mm will stay.

As said before the pistol is a side arm for non combant personel. Or a last ditch back up for rifle draggers.

It may be even capable of quick caliber converstion.
But I'm thinking a hyper sonic small caliber round.

Lawyers will make the final decision.
and it will be a compromise of the worst kind.
Just like our Commander in chief

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gadfly

No and no. The specs call for a .45 ACP pistol that will function with four Mil-Spec rounds; ball, match ball, +P truncated cone, and a high pressure test round.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it will be something along the lines of a Springfield XD-M with 5 inch barrel, in 9mm. Would prefer to see it in .40 or .45 but I don't see them giving up the 9.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Kevin,
Interesting question. Personally I do not see anything being done for Big Army for a long time.

Just came in from a day on our range with a platoon of Infantry attached to the team. Once again, it all comes down to the man and training much more than the weapon. These guys today were not very well trained on the M-9. After several hundred rounds they felt a lot better.

Personally the 1911 is the only way to go, but not all the guys on the team agree. Some like their Glocks or Sigs.

Duty, Honor, Country
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have bad news for you. I have a friend in military small arms procurement (yeah, the guys who did the soliciation), and despite my ardent pleas, they are not even remotely willing to consider the 1911 again. With the exception of my friend, the entire group just feels you look forward, not back. I can appreciate that line of thinking, and I'll be happy to accept it just the minute somone creates a better pistol.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
As much as I love the beautiful chunk of steel that is the 1911, there are logistical issues with fielding them.
I agree that we wont see 1911's again, but not for logistical reasons; unless you're talking about inter-mixing them with M9's. The 1911 is generally easier to work on than the M9 and has a much longer service life; the logistics would be easier if you ask me.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I have bad news for you. I have a friend in military small arms procurement (yeah, the guys who did the soliciation), and despite my ardent pleas, they are not even remotely willing to consider the 1911 again. With the exception of my friend, the entire group just feels you look forward, not back. I can appreciate that line of thinking, and I'll be happy to accept it just the minute somone creates a better pistol.

Exactly......

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 222Sako, 58 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,662
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.