Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4921056 02/09/11
J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I often hear peolple say that a handgun is only for "fighting their way to a long gun". My question is how is this done? How many rounds does it take to get to a long gun and why not end the fight as quickly as posible with the handgun?

Thoughts?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwp475

I often hear peolple say that a handgun is only for "fighting their way to a long gun". My question is how is this done? How many rounds does it take to get to a long gun and why not end the fight as quickly as posible with the handgun?

Thoughts?
Well, I kinda agree with what I think you are saying...heheh I always thought it was drama. You got what you got when the SHTF and that's just how it is.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A handgun is only carried because its convenient and can be hidden.

If at anytime a fight breaks out my pistol is only to get me to my rifle. Once the fight is on my only thought will be to get to a rifle as soon as I can.

I am not afraid to fight with my pistol but its only until I can get to a rifle.

Dink

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You cant carry a shotgun everywhere.So we have handguns.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DINK
Once the fight is on my only thought will be to get to a rifle as soon as I can.

My only thought would be to kill the [bleep] ASAP.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DINK
A handgun is only carried because its convenient and can be hidden.

If at anytime a fight breaks out my pistol is only to get me to my rifle. Once the fight is on my only thought will be to get to a rifle as soon as I can.

I am not afraid to fight with my pistol but its only until I can get to a rifle.

Dink
Once the fight is on, my only thought is to win the fight. Using a rifle might be the way to do that, or using a pistol might. Maybe using a rock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thoughts?
I think it's more of a sentiment than an actual tactical mantra. It's just a way to emphasize that if a long gun is even a remote option, it's a better option. "If I have to fight my way to the long gun"

But yeah in reality, when the fight starts, 99.9% of the time, you'll have to fight right there with the equipment you have. This is why there is so much emphasis placed on handgun training for LE rather than long gun training.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the theory behind "fighting your way to your rifle" is that you're in a fight that will take more than a pistol. If you can end the fight quickly with the handgun, then great. You were not in a fight that required a rifle. But the old saying comes from the premise of a larger fight with greater numbers.

If you are at a point where you're having to reload a pistol, then yeah, you probably should be using a long gun at that point. The pistol is carried to prevent you from being completely unarmed since you can't carry a rifle around with you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jdm953
In many places in Europe, LE's carry SMG's rather than handguns. In Israel most cops carry rifles or SMG's rather than hanguns; there are very few who carry handguns in Israel, and in general, the Israeli's place very little value on handguns. They don't even have ONE military pistol, rather several, because they just don't think too highly of handguns.

In the US, we're some sort of all warm and fuzzy society and are offended when we see cops carrying long guns. Any time I've ever seen a cop carrying either a shotgun, rifle, or SMG, you can bet that someone is making some sort of comment about it. I guess we consider a handgun a last ditch gun, just in case someone gives fight. In Europe, they kinda figure that if there's a chance for a fight, then by God give the man something to fight with. But then again, law enforcement is a bit different in Europe, and a whole lot different in Israel. In the US we carry handguns because it fits well with the role of the American LE officer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
[quote=jdm953] In the US we carry handguns because it fits well with the role of the American LE officer.

Actually, it does not fit well with the role of the American LE officer. We carry them because the American people are not prepared to see their cops carrying carbines. Which is what I think you meant.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pira114
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
[quote=jdm953] In the US we carry handguns because it fits well with the role of the American LE officer.

Actually, it does not fit well with the role of the American LE officer. We carry them because the American people are not prepared to see their cops carrying carbines. Which is what I think you meant.
That's part of the role.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have always thought it was kind of a lame saying most often repeated by mall ninjas and wannabe operators.

I have a different perspective. I will fight with a shovel or a rock if need be and will take the fight on the offensive immediately, if it is advantageous to do so.

I do not see a pistol as purely a defensive tool. But then I do not try to put parameters or labels on situations.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
People want clear definitions and absolutes, in regards to stuff like this.

Usually there is only interpretation of the events.

Most often it is colored by where you are as an observer or participant.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
handgun, knife, keys, elbows, forehead, teeth, whatever gets you the hell out of there

A hunter gets his deer. A good hunter can make long shots. A great hunter likes it up close and personal!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Fight with whatever have. I agree but if you are trying to fight multiple armed people with just a handgun the chances are high that you will loose. There is also a big chance that if you kill one the rest will decide they need to be somewhere else.

As soon as there is any stop in the action I am either getting the [bleep] out of there or I am going to continue to fight with a rifle.

Dink

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...this came from the mouth of Clint Smith quite a few years ago...

I have seen this same attitude expressed by some who carry a "mouse" gun in their pocket stating that their "full size" is in the car and they will some how get back to it....

When the fight starts what you have at hand is what you are going to finish the fight with.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I have always thought it was kind of a lame saying most often repeated by mall ninjas and wannabe operators.

I have a different perspective. I will fight with a shovel or a rock if need be and will take the fight on the offensive immediately, if it is advantageous to do so.

I do not see a pistol as purely a defensive tool. But then I do not try to put parameters or labels on situations.

Yep.

And, an e-tool can be a wicked SOB if push-comes-to-shove...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fight their way to a long gun ? ... hmmph...keyboard theorizing

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jdm953

Yep! Nothing is an absolute death ray of intsant incapacition, specialy a handgun. My go to home defense weapon is a shotgun. Its cheap, dont care if i need to use it for a club when it runs dry, and IMO a shotgun is about as good as it gets. No handgun can match that kind of firepower.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Thoughts?
It's just a clever way of saying that you're much better equipped with a long gun than with a handgun, so know the limitation of the handgun and work with it using that knowledge, e.g., don't assume that someone shot with your handgun is out of the fight as you might if you landed a solid hit with 00 buck or .223.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (338reddog, 7mm_Loco, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 18 invisible), 1,612 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.