Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Ranch13
I don't know I haven't priced the materials for awhile, but last time I checked you can buy prooven lubes that have taken folks into the winners circle for less than you could get the makins for some concoction that may or may not be worth the effort to put together.

When you factor in your time to experiment to tweak the recipe and actually make the lube, you are probably right.
Adding expensive ingredients like Lanolin and commercial lube additives Virtually insures a lack of savings.

By Sticking to simple- yet excellent beeswax /vegetable oil recipes- the lube costs half as much as the cheapest commercial lube per lb. And about 1/3 or less of SPG. The big factor is how much the Beeswax costs you. If you can acquire beeswax for $8 or less per pound, then the total cost per pound should not be over $10 per pound.

About 15 years ago, I did some melting temp and shooting tests with various lube combos. My intent was to keep it cheap and simple.

My benchmark was SPG. Using the following formula I came up with a lube that actually held up about 5 to 10 degrees hotter weather than SPG and still kept fouling soft- here is that simple recipe-

60% Pure Beeswax
40% Pure Vegetable oil (Canola, Corn, Soybean or Peanut- what ever is cheapest). Olive oil is also great but these days it is TOO expensive.Save it for FOOD.

Last edited by jim62; 02/09/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always buy the cake lube. Bullshops Nasa costs about 20$ a lb as does Sagebrush Alox. Figure at the most 3 grs per bullet that's something over 2000 bullets that will be lubed, with high quality competition prooven lubes for less than a penny a pop.
I cut slices off the cake and stuff into the lubrisizer, if I don't dip lube the bullets. Seldom pan lube anymore I find dipping easier to get a good fill on the grooves.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I always buy the cake lube. Bullshops Nasa costs about 20$ a lb as does Sagebrush Alox. Figure at the most 3 grs per bullet that's something over 2000 bullets that will be lubed, with high quality competition prooven lubes for less than a penny a pop.
I cut slices off the cake and stuff into the lubrisizer, if I don't dip lube the bullets. Seldom pan lube anymore I find dipping easier to get a good fill on the grooves.

In my post above I was talking about replacements for BPC lubes like SPG, etc.

Are the Nasa and Sagebrush Alox lubes as good as SPG with Straight black and no wiping between shots?

Last edited by jim62; 02/10/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As good as SPG is Sagebrush is better, and crosses over to smokeless better than spg.
In the limited amount of shooting I've done with bullshops lube to date the stuff is simply amazing. I have not shot it in hot weather yet, but at 50 degrees and 25 % humidity I have fired up to 15 rounds with no fouling control and no discernable loss in accuracy on a gong at 270 yds. When this global warming clears out of here I intend to give the nasa the "acid" test and load some Elephant powder under nasa lubed bullets, if you can still see thru the barrel after a few rounds of that, it's got to be good stuff.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
S
OP Offline
S
As good as SPG is Sagebrush is better, and crosses over to smokeless better than spg.
In the limited amount of shooting I've done with bullshops lube to date the stuff is simply amazing. I have not shot it in hot weather yet, but at 50 degrees and 25 % humidity I have fired up to 15 rounds with no fouling control and no discernable loss in accuracy on a gong at 270 yds. When this global warming clears out of here I intend to give the nasa the "acid" test and load some Elephant powder under nasa lubed bullets, if you can still see thru the barrel after a few rounds of that, it's got to be good stuff.

Do you use ff or the fff Elephant powder for reloading?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple of cans of 2f left, and the only time I use it now is for messing around.
Generally use various Goex's and 2f schuetzen.

www.historicshooting.com
S
OP Offline
S
I have a couple of cans of 2f left, and the only time I use it now is for messing around.
Generally use various Goex's and 2f schuetzen.

When you do shoot the Elephant powder, have you noticed irregular grain dimensions!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup the stuff looks like it's got everything from 4f up to and including 1f in it.
These can's I have are from the 93 production.

www.historicshooting.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,407
Posts18,528,023
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.