Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Looking for advice on choosing bases and rings for a Win 88, to mount a Weaver K4. Rifle currently has a Weaver 1-piece base, but it seems that the end result, even with low rings, will be higher than wanted. Personal experience valued highly, as always...

HR IC

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Send a message to northern_dave. He has one set up.

Camp is where you make it.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I think I have a weaver base and Warne rings on mine. Best I remember its all I had at the time. Reminds me ti get it out and kill something with it.

Joseph

Joseph
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Redfield one piece base with Redfield low rings (low extended in front) allen screws from the bottom of the rings.
Workd great for me.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I was able to use two piece Weaver bases in min, but had to shim under the scope to get the scope travel centered to normal.

Doesn't work better, but [I think] looks better, and there isn't that blockage above the ejection port.

FWIW.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can skin that rabbit several ways - M88, aluminum Weaver base, medium height Grand Slam windage adjustable steel rings.

[Linked Image]

M88, Redfield (now Weaver) steel windage base with rear steel windage ring and turn-in front ring (you could use low rings with your scope).

[Linked Image]

My favorite mounting rig for leverguns is a one piece Weaver aluminum base with Burris Z rings (this shot is of a Marlin M1895 - don't have that set-up currently on a M88). I used medium height rings, but low would have worked better.

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Win 88 has a low comb and needs lowest mount possible. For lowest mount, the Weaver base and low rings are optimal. Those low Burris Z rings look good on Odessa's 88, cleaner looking than the Weaver rings. I don't like a Redfield base and rings on an 88. Looks clunky and the scope ends up higher, even with low rings.

IHMO, and not trying to rain on anyone's parade...

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Odessa,

About your Marlin.

With low rings, I've had to cut a groove in the aluminum base to clear the power ring on Leupold scopes. You may want to check clearences before going with low rings. Or get a file or Moto tool...

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Odessa,

About your Marlin.

With low rings, I've had to cut a groove in the aluminum base to clear the power ring on Leupold scopes. You may want to check clearences before going with low rings. Or get a file or Moto tool...

DF

Thanks for the advice; I won't be changing it now - it's on there and my face and eyes line up just fine. I may try it next time though, but use two piece Weaver aluminum mounts and the low Burris - the two piece base is short enough to stay away from the power ring. I used the two piece aluminum base on this Marlin M336 along with medium height Grand Slam steel windage rings (which are pretty low for medium height rings) - have just enough clearance for the Redfield power ring - I think the Burris low mount Z ring would still clear it.

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

wind_drift #4931345 02/12/11
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think that there is a lower mount than a Weaver base with low rings.

A plus, at least for some folks, is that you can install a Lyman or Redfield detachable receiver sight and when combined with QR rings, you can quickly/easily remove the scope, install the peep sight, and go to shooting.

JEff

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I think I have a set of bases and rings for the Weaver Pivot Mount system for the 88 or 100. I have these on several guns that bear iron sights and it works great. Quick change for either option.

If interested, I will dig for them.

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My Model 88 wears a one piece Redfield base with low rings. The scope is a vintage 4x Weaver. The complete rig fits me quite well.

μολὼν λαβέ
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have 6 mod 88's and the best way to go to get the lowest mount is the weaver #53 base and a set of low weaver quick detach rings. That setup with a K4 scope will make the perfect match to your win 88. Light and fast. Do not use the pivot mounts, as they will not hold point of aim. Daryl.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a weaver tip over base and ring combo for an 88 if anyone wants one.

as for scope mounting warne bases and some low warne rings is about as good as it gets.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
From my experience, you're right. The Weaver base and low rings are about the lowest a scope can be mounted on an 88 (or M-100). But, one cannot use a very large scope and clear the barrel. My M-88 wears a Leupold Vari X III 2.5-8x36, and that's about as big a scope those rings and that base will accommodate. And, a nice rig it is. The classic looking Leupold looks great on a classic rife.

DF

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
DLSguide
I beg to differ. I have Weaver Pivot Mounts on 4 hunting rifles and have moved back a forth many times with no change of zero. I have done it at the range where did (on purpose) some banging around while the scope was in both loose and locked down position ---- and the zero does not move. But of course you have to have the bases on tight.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (270wsmnutt, 260Remguy, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,129
Posts18,502,567
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.