Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If I were going to carry a 1911A1 in a defensive role, I would be as good a shot with it as I am with the Sigarms P229, and that may not take too long to accomplish. Never shot much competitively, just shot to win in the game of life . . . . whole 'nother attitude. TLee and ltpowell, Mac84 and some others know the drill. wink

Going home at the end of the tour is where it's at.

Heard a quote from a black patrol officer in Detroit once that went like this -- "Him givin' me jive with his 45 don't beat me shootin' straight with my 38."

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good post and thread!

I've only shot a few friend's 1911s. Very nice and I liked them alot! Shot one or two polymer 45acps, they were nice too.

For semi-auto, I'm coming around to liking the 45acp the best. However, the price of 1911's (I'm southpaw and need ambi-dex controls) are a bit out of my price range.

I can get a few revolvers, I like Rugers, for the price of one 1911.

I love the 357mag revolvers. Very versatile and practical handgun especially when considering the ability to shoot 38specials.

I also like their "presence" factor when at the range, lol! smile

I remember my last trip to the range. Father and son line up next to me to shot their subcompatc 9mm Khars, while at the time I'm just plinking with my 38specials.

Then I reload with 357magnum loads smile Let's just say that I got their attention when I touched those babies off smile smile

Gotta love that!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by LoneEagle
The funny thing is that everything I have read regarding the Marhall-Sanow reports etc. have not proclaimed the .45 ACP #1 in one shot kills as you so boldly proclaim. Seems to me there is something called a uhhh.. .356 no no that's not it umm... .358 no no that's the bullet diameter oh yeah it's the .357 Magnum. Yeah that's the one. 125 grain jacketed hollowpoints. Does that ring a bell? SHow me your proof that the .45 ACP is the king of one shot stops!
Don't get me wrong I love my Kimber in .45 but lets try to stay factual here in the real world. Sean

Marshall/Sanow's BS is a fraud of gargantuan proportions and have been proven to be FULL OF BS by D. Martin Fackler, Duncan MacPherson and others

What a joke those two are and that is why they have fadeded away

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Oh, but EC, as a very wise individual once said, "Whereas a .357 caliber bullet may expand, a .45 never shrinks." Why do you suppose that elite tactical units almost always insist on a .45, and not a .357 Sig or Magnum? There are certain circumstances which hinder bullet expansion, and these units require a big hole ever time, without exception. That's were the .45 shines. It's 230 grain bullet provides planty of momentum for pushing that big fat slug deep, and the hole it makes is always at least .45 caliber. With something like the .230 grain Hydrashok, the hole can be even bigger and uglier, while penetration (due to good weight retention) remains perfectly adequate.

Just thought that I'd point out that the Elite Tactical Units that I deal with everyday out here in Afghanistan do indeed have 357sig's mags, 9mm's, and 45's.

Personally, and that's all this argument actually boils down to (personal preference) I'll take the 357 over the 45 if I had a choice. All things being the same, you can carry more rounds per mag in 357 than you can in 45 and they both kill with equal efficiency.

But alas, this thread wasn't about caliber as much as it was about the Gun itself. I hold to the fact that the BEST combat and CCW gun out there is the one you PERSONALLY are most proficient and comfortable with. Personally, I don't like the 1911's and will never own another one, but that's just me.

A high capacity 1911 can hold 14 in the mag and 1 the the chamber for a total of 15. I like those odds

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475
A high capacity 1911 can hold 14 in the mag and 1 the the chamber for a total of 15. I like those odds

I've got an H&K USP-45 with a couple of double stacked mags. Twelve rounders, which makes for thirteen round loaded up. Of course there are also ten round mags for 1911s if you want to stick that into your night stand gun.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I keep an 8 round mag in my carry 1911 and carry a spare 10 rounder just in case 9 ain't enough

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the "A1" designation WWII and has since been dumped long ago by most if not all manufactures?

Oh well, RH's title to this thread could very well be right for defensive use if.......

The stock 1911A1s weren't such a POS and 4" DA .357's had never been produced.

Now we'll see where this goes! laugh

CB

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Chris Brice

The stock 1911A1s weren't such a POS and 4" DA .357's had never been produced.

Now we'll see where this goes! laugh

CB

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Interesting historical fact. The first combat the 1911 saw was when we chased Pancho Villa back into Mexico. Perhaps we ought to use it to do it all over again. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott F
Interesting historical fact. The first combat the 1911 saw was when we chased Pancho Villa back into Mexico. Perhaps we ought to use it to do it all over again. grin

I'll drink to that Sir!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still have one that I carry BTW:

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE

[Linked Image]

Me Also even grin

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The_Real_Browneye did better trolling like this, years ago, before he followed Barak down the rabbit hole, and through the looking glass.

BTW - the 1911 remains one of the pinnacle designs. I'll never be without one.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Once you go 1911 you never go back.

........except when you do....grin.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Logansdad, the difference between the best .45 ACP and the best .357 magnum is insignificant......

Just like the difference between the 45ACP, and the 9mm or 40SW.....grin

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
They are all marginal manstoppers.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If you hit the main pump station, or CPU, they all work about the same.

If you miss the vitals, they all work about the same.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by T LEE

[Linked Image]

Full sized one of those headed my way as soon at our taxes come back.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by DennisE
It's interesting that the majority of SEALS today are chosing the SIG P226 9mm over their other permitted choice, the SOCOM Mk 23 .45 ACP. Also intersting that both the Masters and Expert class trophies in the Custom Defensive Pistol Division (usually thought of as the SA '1911' .45 ACP Division) at the 2003 IDPA Winter Championships were won by 2 guys shooting SIG P220STs. The 1911 in .45 ACP used to be one of the few good choices, now it is one of many good choices! Regards, Dennis

i always find these threads interesting because i never so many people on this forum had brown eyes. Oh, wait a moment! Maybe they have brown eyes because its STACKED so high, so to speak.
Or put it another way, so full of the brown stuff.
I love 1911's and the .45acp, but it sure aint the only game in town.
the sig 220 is in many respects a superior pistol.
And .45acp aint' the only caliber any more either.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by the_shootist
If your skill level is where it should be, any cartridge will do the job. Location, location, location! I carried a Sig P229 DAO with 12 round capacity 40 S&W and tritium sights. With me behind the trigger, I'd stack it up against the 45 Gov't model, though it is a fine cartridge/pistol combination.

Skill with your chosen weapon(s) is the critical factor in its effectiveness in a deadly force situation. Platform and caliber are secondary and tertiary considerations, at best.

I know this because I analyze dozens of police shootings every year, and have access to detailed autopsy reports (including Xrays and autopsy photos), crime scene photos, statements by the principals and witnesses, the works. Like just about everybody else who has experience in this line of work, I've come to the conclusion that any police service caliber/sidearm is capable of ending any given gunfight swiftly and successfully, and any police service caliber/sidearm is also capable of going completely sideways with bad outcomes all around. The difference between not only surviving but winnning a deadly force situation is your ability to put bullets into the vital zones of your opponent's body efficiently (speed + accuracy).

I have within the last two years reviewed two police shootings where the officers, armed with .45 ACP pistols & ammo, failed to successfully win the fight. Why? Poor shot placement. In both cases their departments had gone to the big .45 because they thought it was a Sure Thing. Officers went into action believing that they had the Magic Bullet, and all they had to do was point the gun in the bad guy's general direction, pull the trigger, and the bad guy would be vaporized. WRONG!! You still have to put the bullets where it counts! One felon absorbed FIVE 230 gr Speer GDHP's, spent 3 months in ICU (at taxpayer expense!), and is back on the street now.

In the same time frame, I've got dozens of successsful gunfight wins in my files where the officers used 9mm pistols, and even more who used .40 S&W. Sure, there were failures in some of those, too, but you can't blame the caliber: it was poor shooting in every case.

My department issues/mandates the SIG P220 in .45 ACP. It's a great pistol, and I don't mind being required to carry it when I go out on a SWAT call. But I've done enough competitive shooting with all kinds of guns and calibers and have killed deer and hogs with 9mm's, 357's, 40 S&W's and various 44's and 45's to be comfortable with any serviceable handgun in any of those calibers. Why? Because I know where to place my shots, and I practice with my handguns to be sure I can reliably put the bullets where I want them to go.

As for the Holy High and Mighty 1911A1 and its many modern clones... as much as I love it, and in fact more often than not will be found carrying one, I don't consider it the be-all and end-all of pistols. It's a high-maintenance gun, so people who tend to leave their guns unfired and/or uncleaned are gonna experience breakdowns. Don't believe me? Talk to the department armorers for any department that issues/mandates the 1911. They have to maintain a large inventory of spare pistols to keep their officers armed while their 1911's are in the shop for repairs and extra maintenance (Albuquerque PD is the dept I most recently talked with about this situation). Jeff Cooper loved the 1911, but he asserted a serious 1911 user (one who shoots regularly, and doesn't just carry it around) must have at least 3 1911's. One to carry, one spare for when the primary breaks down, and one in the gunsmith's shop. And don't think that just because you've got a all-the-bells-and-whistles modern 1911 clone your risks of breakdowns is lower; in fact, due to the tighter tolerances of our Springfield, Kimber, 10-8, and custom 1911's, they're actually more prone to stoppages in dirty/wet conditions than a plain-jane G.I. 1911A1.

The 1911 is an expert's or enthusiast's gun. Its manual of arms is more complex than a Glock or SIG or M&P. Its maintenance schedule is likewise more detailed and must be performed more frequently. By way of contrast, I offer the example of my friend H.I., who trains Special Forces troops almost fulltime, and who served for almost 2 decades as a a SF soldier, cop, and bodyguard in Africa. H.I. has shot and killed more people than most of us can imagine, and many of them in unimaginably difficult environments. His personal choice for a handgun is a Glock 21, because he's managed to break every other model of .45 ACP pistol.

Like I said, I carry 1911's more than any other pistol. Springfield, Kimber, and Colt 1911's live at my house and get shot a LOT. But I also have a SIG P220 and a Glock 21, and if I was going to just keep one .45 for serious work over an extended period of time, it wouldn't be a 1911. Fortunately, though, I have the time, tools, and training to maintain my 1911's to keep them in good working order. Because of that, and because I happen to find Slabsides fits my hand well and shoots very well for me, I choose to carry a 1911 off-duty more often than all my other pistols combined.

But throw away the rest, TRH? Nonononononono.

Doc you said that rather well. It reminds me of a S.F. guy i was talking to a year or so ago that had spent quite a bit of time in the stans. He started with a beretta, government issued, switched to a hi power, and ended up and prefered a glock 17 with jacketed hollow points.
Why, because they always worked in the mud.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (219DW, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 43 invisible), 1,641 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,217
Posts18,524,530
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.