-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If every item in the store were priced that far above the competition, they would be out of biz.
Most folks in retail are smarter than that.

Sam......

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
At the same time I could buy .17 HMR anywhere in Louisville for 11.97 (overpriced, at that), I stopped by the Gander store in Greenwood IN and saw the same stuff going for $19.97. That was just one example, of course, Fusion rifle ammo was similarly priced, too.

They had lots of clothes, though, nothing like a $20 T-shirt shilling themselves to give me warm fuzzy feelers about the place. sick

I have a Bass Pro about 10 miles from the house, I just wait and catch their sales, otherwise, I don't bother with any of the chain stores any more. I don't go to Dick's for any reason.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by crosshair
Gander moved into Sheffield Village Ohio some time back. Their prices were low and they did such damage to the mom and pop gun shops that many went out of business. Then they started jacking up prices and dropping product.

I stay out of Gander. I go to another shop, or down to Fin Feather Fur. I internet shop a lot now if local stores don't have what I want.

I agree with you about the big box stores running the mom & pop shops out of business. The problem is that thay don't just move in..they're lured in by the states & local city councils that offer them huge tax incentives, exit ramps, road work, ect. that the little guys don't recieve. It's a bidding war between citys.

The little guys can't count on loyalty from their neighbors either. I'm from a small coal mining town, & when times were real tough the local grocer offered & carried no-interest credit for alot of folks in town who were hurting. A 7-11 moved in & those same people flocked there to get their milk & smokes for a nickel cheaper. That's why there aren't many good butchers around any more either, people would rather pay 30% less for the pre-packaged crap they sell at wal-mart.

Those of us that would pay a few buck more to the local guy are in the minority..so I don't blame the big stores for that, they count on human nature providing them with volume. I blame my neighbors.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mattsnyder
..., then to kick it off they want 75 bucks to send it to my ffl.
They tried that crap with me once... Then I showed 'em the Gunbroker page that stated their shipping charge (to an FFL only) was going to be $35... There was a lot of "er-ing and ah-ing" for a minute before they acknowledged the price was right..

They're tryin' to deter out-of-store sales to other FFLs.. Idiots..

Originally Posted by eblues
Gander does price-match ya know...all you have to do is ask.
Not always.. You have to provide proof..
See below:

This is Gander's price-match guarantee..posted right on their website:

"If you should find a lower price on an identical in stock item within 14 days at a local competitor, let us know and we will match that price! The competitor must be within a one-hour drive from your Gander Mountain store. This offer excludes rebates, financing offers, misprints, discontinued, clearance, or closeout prices on used, damaged, returned, open box or display merchandise. Stop by the Customer Service counter for complete details."
They're counting on the 99% of shoppers who won't take the time/effort to find that lower price.. And even if they do, many times that price difference is not worth that same time/effort and the cost you've incurred to have them lower the price a buck or ten to match the others..

For all the friggin whiners, what could be more fair than that..seriously? There's just no pleasing some people.
Many businesses offer a price-match guarantee; many tire places, Best Buy, you name it - most offer it..

Most posters above are just pointing out the fact that Gander Mt. apparently charges what they want to.. Nothing wrong there. It's up to the shopper to decide if they want to spend that money or not.. I noted most of the items you purchased were on sale and/or clearance.. I've found some good deals on those items also - and that's the ONLY reason I ever go in that store..

YMMV..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think Gander sets their prices about $10 high because of all the $10 promotion cards they give away.
Local gun club had their annual fund raiser, each ticket included a $10 off coupon on any purchase of $50. I bought 20 tickets and got $200 to spend, Brought my trap shells down to less than $4.00 a box. I also got my Pheasants Forever renewal in the mail with a $10 gift card, if I renewed I'd get a second.
They are pretty free with their $10 cards, I guess they have to make up for it someplace.
By watching their sales you can get some good deals, specially on clothing. Right now they have big mark downs on hunting and winter outerwear, I got some nice stuff for almost 70% off.

Last edited by jbmi; 02/14/11.

"The older I get, the better I was"
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

They also had a 3-9 trijicon scope with the green triangle on sale for $650..cheapest I've ever seen. I'd have picked it up if we didn't have the cart loaded down with so many damned clothes.

Soooooo....you passed on a scope because your cart was too full of clothes? That's just gay.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jbmi
I think Gander sets their prices about $10 high because of all the $10 promotion cards they give away.

Guess what? They don't honnor those anymore either. I was in last week with some. I had enough gift cards and my $10 discount to get a Buckmark. I handed the clerk the cards and he handed me the $10 Gander Bux card back and said Jan.31 was the last day we accept these.

I told him to put the gun back then I'll get it somewhere else. The ONLY reason I got it from there was the gift cards. There was NO experation date on the Gander Bux card.

I told him I'll I would use my gift cards on something else, and buy the gun at a different shop. He took 1 of the Gander Bux cards and gave me discount.

That is the last gun I will probably buy from there.

Camp is where you make it.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I stop by once a month and check their discounted items/racks. If doing that you'll find items and prices that no one can beat, otherwise avoid them like the plague. Their retail prices are outrageous.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I guess whining is only allowed when it's about Cooper Rifles. grin

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WN,

The bullets you listed are rather obscure and likely why they're priced so high. whistle

The Gander Mountain locations in GB and Appleton would be ideal spots to open a sporting goods store.

And, if anyone ever wished to truly make my worst nightmare come true, they'd tie me up inside of a Gander Mountain and force me to watch the Wildgame Innovations television program with Savage99.

Yeah, Gander sucks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
$9 higher a BOX for some 22-250 ammo than the other sport shop down the road, exact same ammo. Unbelievable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by Sako
I am hoping the one here goes out of business soon... I cannot wait to have a party in the parking lot.... most over priced placed I have ever been in...

Me too, so I can stock up on stuff at 10 cents on the dollar like I did when they went out of business the first time!

Wilmot? I equiped myself with most of the musky tackle I could ever want during that closeout..

Yepper. That be the place. Friend of mine and I filled the back of an 8ft pickup box with all the stuff we hauled outta there. Went back a few days later and bought the clothing racks for $5/ea, and resold for a 'nice' profit.

I was also at the Sydney, NE, Cabela's store for a mid-summer tent sale the year that they bought Gander's mail order side. Tons of bargains - according to one of sales/security guys there, Cabela's wanted nothing to do with the Gander label - just the mailing list. Might happen again if they (Gander) doesn't wise up.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

For all the friggin whiners, what could be more fair than that..seriously? There's just no pleasing some people.

Is there a list of permissible things to "whine" about here?
I couldn't help but check WN's response with a little "eblues" search - the whole pot/kettle thing is quite unbecoming of you. wink

They also had a 3-9 trijicon scope with the green triangle on sale for $650..cheapest I've ever seen.

Two words for you; "Euro Optic"....
http://www.eurooptic.com/

Call for the actual price or drop Alex a line. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mark shubert
My wife bought a 1000 box of primers at the Amarillo store, a year ago - they charged her 80-odd dollars - and lost a customer, permanently!! Anyone can gouge me once!
Mark

A year ago that was great price. They were well over $100 at many places.

BH

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

445 members (2500HD, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 41 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,090
Posts18,501,882
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.