Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm looking at a post-64 M70 FW in .270. Seems to be in very good shape, but the one thing that I noticed is that the safety is a shade of purple. Does this indicate anything like it has been replaced or something? In my limited experience I haven't come across this before. Thanks, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Likely not replaced. IMO metal is either a different hardness or type that the receiver or barrel. I've seen this on older Ruger rifles where the receiver is plum colored.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm looking at a post-64 M70 FW in .270. Seems to be in very good shape, but the one thing that I noticed is that the safety is a shade of purple. Does this indicate anything like it has been replaced or something? In my limited experience I haven't come across this before. Thanks, John

The safety is casted, which will cause some discoloration at times in the blueing process. The same can happen with investement casted receivers, which will sometimes turn red.

My understanding on the subject was that it contained excessive amounts of silicone in the casting process, which brought out the red or purple color. Most times it's more red than anything else.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I've blued and had blued many guns and parts over the years and some parts just won't blue( turn purple). I think it has to do with the carbon content in the part. I'd say the safety had been replaced.

M
M70 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Investment cast out of a high carbon alloy. (oops) AND high silicone (easy casting) alloy. Very typical of USRA.

Last edited by M70; 05/22/05.

Good Hunting,
M70
aka, Dale

life. . . . used up, worn out, nothing left but the memories, an' ah yellin' "WOW !! What a ride!!"
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd say the safety had been replaced.

Most likely not, considering there isn't anyone to my knowledge that makes a replacement safety lever that is sold seperately from a shroud, let alone one that would have been investment casted, causing the discoloration that he explained.

It's factory original.......just not a good one.

A nice touch to do to those is the nitre blue, which gives it that vivid electric blue look, normally seen on Mauser 98 ejector springs and extractors.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Is it the just the Safety Lever or Just the Shroud (housing) or both?

Karl Webber
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I am too damn old - to the best of my recollection, it is just the lever, but the rifle is currently 175 miles away and I can't just go check. Have patience with an old coot. Thanks.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The shroud is machined from solid barstock, so what you've described sounds like the lever itself.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Matt,
The reason for the question is while I too think that no one makes an after market lever stand alone, some do make complete shroud assemblies, with levers. Therefor, it could be an aftermarket safety shroud assembly, blued by the parts manufacturer at a different time and process and this could account for the difference in appearance.

Karl Webber
IC B3

Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
To keep costs under control, many manufacturers resort to investment cast small parts. These can be produced in finished form and do not require expensive machining. When selecting the alloy for casting there is a premium put on a steel that will fill out the mold, avoiding high scrap rates with blow holes and other imperfections. Good bluing qualities are somewhere down the list behind ease of manufacture. Almost all of these castings give problems in the blue tank.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (7mm_Loco, 35, Allen Martin, 300_savage, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 6 invisible), 1,687 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,471
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.